Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

David Gettleman Cleaning House

98 posts in this topic

Posted

Am I the only one that is starting to miss Marty Hurney? For the first time in about 5 years, I believe that we have a team that can win but coaching is holding us back. Mark my word, Gettleman is wanting to see if Cam can be a pocket passer, which we all know he is not. Cam will be gone in 2 years b/c Gettleman feels that you must have a pocket passer to win in this league, he has said it before. Richardson should have hired a guy that wants to put a o-line and weapons around him. I really just don't buy what Gettleman is selling right now!!!!

I think that Cam can become a good pocket passer.  But if he can't, then we should prepare to draft another qb, because while running ability helps, passing from the pocket is still what creates consistent winners.   

1 person likes this

Posted

Did someone say Manziel in this thread as if he would be an elite NFL player?

I wish I could ban.

Posted

Did someone say Manziel in this thread as if he would be an elite NFL player?

I wish I could ban.

yeah we've all seen it.  there are people on this board who think that cam relies on his athleticism too much to make plays and has a poor attitude and bad mechanics but want johnny football with our first.

Posted

I don't know how else to interpret the move to release Edwards at this point, when he is not contributing nor adding to the detriment of the team.  He was kept but has not produced.  Typically, the last receiver on the depth chart produces very little during the games, if they are even active.

If it was to send a message to the so called "safe" guys, or so they think, that it's time to get serious, then I would like to thank Armanti now for being the sacrificial lamb that could get everyone else's attention.  From an extremely optimistic point of view, we really are at the critical point and the season is not lost.  But it's as close as it can be.

1 person likes this

Posted

Good try, Zod, at making the AE cutting seem more than it is.  Everyone is shaking in their sneakers, especially the three---err, three and a half---err, four WRs that we have.

Posted

I think AE got cut because Gettleman thinks Hixon should be in the game as a #4 and not AE. I assume Gettleman has no say in depth-chart or play-time. When he saw AE and not Hixon getting in the game on Sunday, he decided to make the change. I think everyone new that this was going to be AE's last year here anyway - your backups need to either be proven vets or high-upside guys. Armanti was neither.

Edit: Hixon isn't a great example of either but is both more-proven and has higher upside.

1 person likes this

Posted

I think AE got cut because Gettleman thinks Hixon should be in the game as a #4 and not AE. I assume Gettleman has no say in depth-chart or play-time. When he saw AE and not Hixon getting in the game on Sunday, he decided to make the change. I think everyone new that this was going to be AE's last year here anyway - your backups need to either be proven vets or high-upside guys. Armanti was neither.

Edit: Hixon isn't a great example of either but is both more-proven and has higher upside.

That's the first explanation I've heard that makes some logical sense.

If true, it would certainly tell us that all is not well between the coaching staff and Gettleman. But then, that would be no major surprise, would it?

Posted

i really hope so. this team is too loose and too happy when game time comes. they need to be hungry and pissed. they've gotten complacent and comfortable, even when losing. they accept it as just something that happens and just shrug it off. they'd become good losers and that's the culture. i really hope gettleman is changing that culture and i think this may be part of it. if you aren't helping the team perform, you are likely going to be leaving the team. it doesn't matter how much you are liked, how great you are in practice, or how hard you try. results are all that matter. i think maybe hurney was too optimistic about his players and was too much of a buddy. i dont want them to see gettleman as an enemy, but i do want them always looking over their shoulder and never comfortable with where they are or how they're doing.

This is why I never gave a poo when Cam sulked or was near tears after losses...at least you knew he gave a poo.  I feel like the coaching staff (with an assist from the media) has neutered his competitive spirit.

1 person likes this

Posted

Perhaps your best post ever.  I like what DG is doing.  There are no more sacred cows.  Unfortunately, it should have been this way since day 1 but our reporter - turned GM was inexperienced and treated draft picks like family. 

DG is doing what should be done.  He is moving on from players that are not contributing or no longer part of the plan.  This creates roster spots and cap space for players that will help the team.  If our record doesn't improve, expect more of this in Nov and Dec.  With dead money and poor personnel decisions, this is a process.

Posted

i really hope so. this team is too loose and too happy when game time comes. they need to be hungry and pissed. they've gotten complacent and comfortable, even when losing. they accept it as just something that happens and just shrug it off. they'd become good losers and that's the culture. i really hope gettleman is changing that culture and i think this may be part of it. if you aren't helping the team perform, you are likely going to be leaving the team. it doesn't matter how much you are liked, how great you are in practice, or how hard you try. results are all that matter. i think maybe hurney was too optimistic about his players and was too much of a buddy. i dont want them to see gettleman as an enemy, but i do want them always looking over their shoulder and never comfortable with where they are or how they're doing.

Good points. 

I sit close to the Panthers bench and there is plenty of fire before kickoff, especially with the defense.  Star is the exception but I think that's his personality.  No knock against him but Star and Hardy couldn't be more different. 

We have become good losers.  As a whole, they seem OK with losing and rather apathetic after the game.  There is no expectation for winning and not enough disappointment for losing. I do believe that is a problem with our culture.  There needs to be a greater sense of accountability and urgency with winning games and individual battles.  Unfortunately, I don't see that happening with RR. 

Posted

I think AE got cut because Gettleman thinks Hixon should be in the game as a #4 and not AE. I assume Gettleman has no say in depth-chart or play-time. When he saw AE and not Hixon getting in the game on Sunday, he decided to make the change. I think everyone new that this was going to be AE's last year here anyway - your backups need to either be proven vets or high-upside guys. Armanti was neither.

Cam needs WRs that are over 6 ft tall. Hixon would give Cam a bigger target under pressure.

1 person likes this