#16 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,523 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:08 AM

He also said 'we have the quarterback already'

But you forgot the last part.

Gettleman was asked whether Newton was the quarterback to build around.

After a pregnant, seven-second pause, Gettleman said; “Yes, he is. But now it's time to win.”

#17 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:13 AM

I hate waiting for the offseason DURING the first half of the season.....

FIFY

#18 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,768 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:14 AM

Maybe because Hixon actually has caught a few TD's in the league?

He isn't good. Legatron caught TD before too. He is hurting our return game and hasn't done diddly poo here....less than AE since camp.

He is here bc he is a DG guy. Simple

#19 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,826 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:19 AM

Am I the only one that is starting to miss Marty Hurney?

it was only a matter of time

this team couldn't unload adolf hitler without somebody coming along saying "hey dae remember that guy i miss that guy he would have done x in this scenario"

#20 PantherPhann89

PantherPhann89

CPP "Carolina Panther Phann"

• HUDDLER
  • 3,226 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:42 AM

We certainly need a few changes. Personally I think that we need a coaching and offensive coordinator change but I understand that changing those mid season would tank the season. Yeah I know, it already seems tanked, but with the rest of our schedule, we can make the most of it, in a Panther end of season fashion ...

#21 mjligon

mjligon

@mleezy53

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,119 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:50 AM

Am I the only one that is starting to miss Marty Hurney?

That's all I need to read from that post to know it sucks. Really? Marty? I suppose you are waiting on Gettleman to sign Hardy to a 6 year $78m deal and Munnerlyn to a 4 year $32m deal, then go into the Draft and get our next stud quarterback converted receiver. GTFO.

#22 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,965 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:56 AM

That crusty band-aid that Hurney kept slowly tugging at that was holding this roster together, Gettleman is about to grip it and rip it.  The initial pain will be intense but will fade quickly.  There will be much pissing and moaning about it until the big picture begins to come into focus.  This is the beginning of a rebirth for this franchise.  I am all too ready for it.

#23 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,598 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:58 AM

i really hope so. this team is too loose and too happy when game time comes. they need to be hungry and pissed. they've gotten complacent and comfortable, even when losing. they accept it as just something that happens and just shrug it off. they'd become good losers and that's the culture. i really hope gettleman is changing that culture and i think this may be part of it. if you aren't helping the team perform, you are likely going to be leaving the team. it doesn't matter how much you are liked, how great you are in practice, or how hard you try. results are all that matter. i think maybe hurney was too optimistic about his players and was too much of a buddy. i dont want them to see gettleman as an enemy, but i do want them always looking over their shoulder and never comfortable with where they are or how they're doing.

#24 MaineManPanther

MaineManPanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:00 AM

He isn't good. Legatron caught TD before too. He is hurting our return game and hasn't done diddly poo here....less than AE since camp.

He is here bc he is a DG guy. Simple

No one is saying he's good but just explaining why he is being kept over Edwards. He's had a pair of decent seasons in NYG as a third or fourth option which is more then can be said for Armanti.

#25 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,680 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:02 AM

Am I the only one that is starting to miss Marty Hurney? For the first time in about 5 years, I believe that we have a team that can win but coaching is holding us back. Mark my word, Gettleman is wanting to see if Cam can be a pocket passer, which we all know he is not. Cam will be gone in 2 years b/c Gettleman feels that you must have a pocket passer to win in this league, he has said it before. Richardson should have hired a guy that wants to put a o-line and weapons around him. I really just don't buy what Gettleman is selling right now!!!!

I think that Cam can become a good pocket passer.  But if he can't, then we should prepare to draft another qb, because while running ability helps, passing from the pocket is still what creates consistent winners.   

#26 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 5,978 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:09 AM

Did someone say Manziel in this thread as if he would be an elite NFL player?

I wish I could ban.

#27 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• HUDDLER
  • 9,826 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:13 AM

Did someone say Manziel in this thread as if he would be an elite NFL player?

I wish I could ban.

yeah we've all seen it.  there are people on this board who think that cam relies on his athleticism too much to make plays and has a poor attitude and bad mechanics but want johnny football with our first.

#28 Chaos

Chaos

@chaos_cltsports

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,070 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:14 AM

I don't know how else to interpret the move to release Edwards at this point, when he is not contributing nor adding to the detriment of the team.  He was kept but has not produced.  Typically, the last receiver on the depth chart produces very little during the games, if they are even active.

If it was to send a message to the so called "safe" guys, or so they think, that it's time to get serious, then I would like to thank Armanti now for being the sacrificial lamb that could get everyone else's attention.  From an extremely optimistic point of view, we really are at the critical point and the season is not lost.  But it's as close as it can be.

#29 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,102 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:19 AM

Good try, Zod, at making the AE cutting seem more than it is.  Everyone is shaking in their sneakers, especially the three---err, three and a half---err, four WRs that we have.

#30 Eminent Rogaine

Eminent Rogaine

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:41 AM

I think AE got cut because Gettleman thinks Hixon should be in the game as a #4 and not AE. I assume Gettleman has no say in depth-chart or play-time. When he saw AE and not Hixon getting in the game on Sunday, he decided to make the change. I think everyone new that this was going to be AE's last year here anyway - your backups need to either be proven vets or high-upside guys. Armanti was neither.

Edit: Hixon isn't a great example of either but is both more-proven and has higher upside.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carolina Panthers, NFL, David Gettleman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com