#1 Awesomeness!

Awesomeness!

Zulu

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,888 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:33 PM

Since AA seems to be a hot topic of discussion on this board, and I just had to read/research/ and write a paper on it I thought I would share my findings with the members of the board. Below are the Myths, and facts of Affirmative Action, and how the policies affect our society and country. Its pretty sad that white paranoia about losing their crappy jobs has lead to widespread misinformation about AA for decades now. You can disagree until you are blue in the face, but the facts are facts.

Ok, here we go.

Myth Affirmative Actions states that a company must hire people of color, even if they aren't qualified

Fact : Simply put, this is illegal. Its illegal to base a hire on a persons color, race, religion etc.The law states that qualified individuals must have the same chance of getting a job, or into college, as another qualified individual, regardless of race. In other words, if a Law Firm is looking to hire  5 new lawyers out of law school, and they get 10 applications from 5 qualified white men, and 5 qualified black men, the black men must not have their application simply thrown away just because they are black. Likewise, if the only applicants are 4 qualified white men, and 67 unqualified black men, they can't hire a black man just to look "diverse". They must, and 99.9999% of the time wait until they get another qualified applicant. In other words, if you didn't get a job, and a black person did, you sucked and they didn't. Such is life.

Myth Affirmative Action doesn't work

Fact From 1990 to roughly 2006, the Black Family Income (MFI) Was the SAME as white families. Why? Much is credited to fairer hiring practices, which allowed black applicants to get a fair and equal opportunity at a job, or get into college.Welfare enrollment, crime rates etc all went down during that time. Black families saw a dramatic increase in their standard of living. After 2006, and along with the economic meltdown, political pressure lead to a decline in the support of Affirmative Action, but crime and Welfare enrollment rates are still dropping

Myth Affirmative Action is racist/reverse discrimination

Fact See number 1. Whites are never excluded from jobs because of their race, but the same is now true for blacks thanks to Affirmative Action.

And finally...

Myth AA only helps Blacks

Fact The group that has benefited the most from Affirmative Action is White Women. Furthermore, Affirmative Action has done nothing to help blacks stuck in extreme poverty, as they aren't qualified to do much. AA REALLY helps upper middle class blacks the most

Questions?

#2 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,866 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

Seems like you're angry when writing this.

#3 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• HUDDLER
  • 5,756 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:39 PM

yea but

they_took_our_jobs_tshirt-d23564803.jpg

#4 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 18,661 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:40 PM

but the limbaugh letter told me minority scholarships are reverse racism that punishes whites for being successful

#5 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,136 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:44 PM

herp derp Fox News Limbaughisms!!!!

#6 Awesomeness!

Awesomeness!

Zulu

• HUDDLER
  • 4,888 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:50 PM

herp derp Fox News Limbaughisms!!!!

Avoidance of the facts clocked at 12:50 MST.

#7 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,563 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:51 PM

Seems like you're angry when writing this.

No it doesn't.

#8 Awesomeness!

Awesomeness!

Zulu

• HUDDLER
  • 4,888 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:55 PM

yea but

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=brj2UkUPjCI

TIRK TEE TIOO

they_took_our_jobs_tshirt-d23564803.jpg

#9 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,136 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:04 PM

Avoidance of the facts clocked at 12:50 MST.

Just following PhillyB's lead...

#10 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 18,661 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

Just following PhillyB's lead...

this thread was about breaking through common misconceptions about a hot-button social issue and providing commentary with the intent to correct misunderstandings.

my response was a mimicking of the foundational thought processes behind those misconceptions, indexing ideological voiceboxes that create massive financial profits through dissemination of said misconceptions through use of inherent power structure and political binaries that create and sustain their followers.

therefore my comment fit the OP's OP in perfect context.

#11 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • 10,350 posts
  • LocationBayside

Myth Affirmative Action doesn't work

Fact Affirmative Action has done nothing to help blacks stuck in extreme poverty[/b]

Questions?

Isn't that who needs it the most?

#12 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 18,661 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

instead of derailing and sniping would you prefer to opine on affirmative action as outlined nicely by the OP above?

#13 Awesomeness!

Awesomeness!

Zulu

• HUDDLER
  • 4,888 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

Isn't that who needs it the most?

Yes, but it was never intended to help them per se.. It was intended to level the playing field, although being poor certainly helps when applying for scholarships and such in college.

The fact is poor blacks in the last 30 years have had no help, from anybody. (Contrary to Fox News I'm sure)

Rather it be black people that never faced those conditions or black people that "made it out", its always been a "you're on your own" mentality. Personally, I don't care if two grown black men want to sell drugs on a street corner, but when bullets are flying and they are shooting children in the face and not an eyebrow is raised from anybody that pisses me off. But what are we to do?

#14 Awesomeness!

Awesomeness!

Zulu

• HUDDLER
  • 4,888 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

instead of derailing and sniping would you prefer to opine on affirmative action as outlined nicely by the OP above?

Your expectations are way to high

#15 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • 10,350 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:51 PM

Yes, but it was never intended to help them per se.. It was intended to level the playing field, although being poor certainly helps when applying for scholarships and such in college.

The fact is poor blacks in the last 30 years have had no help, from anybody. (Contrary to Fox News I'm sure)

Rather it be black people that never faced those conditions or black people that "made it out", its always been a "you're on your own" mentality. Personally, I don't care if two grown black men want to sell drugs on a street corner, but when bullets are flying and they are shooting children in the face and not an eyebrow is raised from anybody that pisses me off. But what are we to do?

I'm pretty sure groups like the urban league, among others, are there for poverty stricken black people.

Maybe I'm looking at it with some sort of bias, but I've never thought of AA that way. I've always assumed the low skilled worker is the target for AA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.