Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Myths of Affirmative Action.

28 posts in this topic

Posted

Isn't that who needs it the most?

Yes, but it was never intended to help them per se.. It was intended to level the playing field, although being poor certainly helps when applying for scholarships and such in college.

The fact is poor blacks in the last 30 years have had no help, from anybody. (Contrary to Fox News I'm sure)

Rather it be black people that never faced those conditions or black people that "made it out", its always been a "you're on your own" mentality. Personally, I don't care if two grown black men want to sell drugs on a street corner, but when bullets are flying and they are shooting children in the face and not an eyebrow is raised from anybody that pisses me off. But what are we to do?

Posted

instead of derailing and sniping would you prefer to opine on affirmative action as outlined nicely by the OP above?

Your expectations are way to high

Posted

Yes, but it was never intended to help them per se.. It was intended to level the playing field, although being poor certainly helps when applying for scholarships and such in college.

The fact is poor blacks in the last 30 years have had no help, from anybody. (Contrary to Fox News I'm sure)

Rather it be black people that never faced those conditions or black people that "made it out", its always been a "you're on your own" mentality. Personally, I don't care if two grown black men want to sell drugs on a street corner, but when bullets are flying and they are shooting children in the face and not an eyebrow is raised from anybody that pisses me off. But what are we to do?

I'm pretty sure groups like the urban league, among others, are there for poverty stricken black people.

Maybe I'm looking at it with some sort of bias, but I've never thought of AA that way. I've always assumed the low skilled worker is the target for AA.

Posted

I'm pretty sure groups like the urban league, among others, are there for poverty stricken black people.

Maybe I'm looking at it with some sort of bias, but I've never thought of AA that way. I've always assumed the low skilled worker is the target for AA.

True, but there has never really been an organization that has made a Nationwide significant impact in helping poor blacks in the inner city. About 50%, or half of black people born into poverty leave poverty, so its certainly not impossible, nor do I think there needs to be an organization or policy that lifts blacks out of poverty. In this day and age, Conservatives should be proud of the progress blacks have made, considering being born in the projects and making it to the suburbs is about as "pulling yourself up by your bootstraps" as it gets.

Also, AA applies to any company or college with more than 50 employees, or anybody that takes Federal money, so in theory Walmart follows the guildlines of AA, but you don't need very many qualifications to get a job at Walmart (they hire ex convicts) and its pretty much a crap shoot. AA is big in colleges, such most colleges accept Federal money. 

Posted

No it doesn't.

Yes it does

Posted

Yes it does

no it doesn't

1 person likes this

Posted

no it doesn't

Yes it does.

Posted

Yes it does.

So why are you afraid?

Posted

So why are you afraid?

Lol where did I say that? He said he wrote this which I assume is for a class of some sort and adding parts like "it's cause you suck" to a formal essay makes you sound bitter and angry. That was my take from it.

Posted

Lol where did I say that? He said he wrote this which I assume is for a class of some sort and adding parts like "it's cause you suck" to a formal essay makes you sound bitter and angry. That was my take from it.

You come off as afraid, so I asked why. Now you seem to be deflecting.

Posted

You come off as afraid, so I asked why. Now you seem to be deflecting.

Deflecting what? I explained why he seemed angry writing this. Explain to me why you think I come off as afraid? I'm truly interested

Posted

Furthermore, Affirmative Action has done nothing to help blacks stuck in extreme poverty, as they aren't qualified to do much.

Questions?

Wouldn't that be the case for any race, gender or age stuck in extreme poverty?