Photo
- - - - -

Perfect OC for next year? JR/DG Please read.

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#31 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,792 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:19 AM

He stunk up a Ravens team that has far more talent than us.

There was a guy who got run out of New York for stinking up the Giants offense some years back too. Fellow by the name of Payton. He seems to have done okay in new surroundings.

Some coach/QB combos just don't mesh, but look up Cameron's record everywhere else and you'll see a different story.

He's not my top choice though.

Yea, I wouldnt want him as a HC, but he seems about as strong of an OC candidate as I can think of.

Scott, can you think of a more proven realistic OC we could hire?

My favorite HC/OC combo idea is Mike Zimmer and Hue Jackson.

#32 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:20 AM

Hes certainly an upgrade but not perfect.

#33 Dash Global

Dash Global

• HUDDLER
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:24 AM

There was a guy who got run out of New York for stinking up the Giants offense some years back too. Fellow by the name of Payton. He seems to have done okayin new surroundings.

Some coach/QB combos just don't mesh, but look up Cameron's record everywhere else and you'll see a different story.

He's not my top choice though.

My favorite HC/OC combo idea is Mike Zimmer and Hue Jackson.

Good call on Payton. 

I looked at Jackson's stats as an OC and wasn't all that impressed. 

Id take Cameron over Jackson. 

Sign me up for the 

HC - Zimmer

OC - Cameron

DC - McDermott

#34 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 34,792 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:31 AM

Good call on Payton.

I looked at Jackson's stats as an OC and wasn't all that impressed.

Id take Cameron over Jackson.

Sign me up for the

HC - Zimmer
OC - Cameron
DC - McDermott

Payton's one example. There are definitely others (heck, Andy Reid).

Don't know that Zimmer and Cameron have ever crossed paths. He and Jackson are well acquainted though.

#35 Dash Global

Dash Global

• HUDDLER
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:49 AM

Payton's one example. There are definitely others (heck, Andy Reid).

Don't know that Zimmer and Cameron have ever crossed paths. He and Jackson are well acquainted though.

Your not concerned with Jacksons bland OC stats? I wouldnt be mad at the hire, but I would certainly be mad if he was the first choice. 

#36 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 34,792 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:00 AM

Sumlin or bust

You don't know how Dave Gettleman feels about college style / read-option type offenses, do you?

Your not concerned with Jacksons bland OC stats? I wouldnt be mad at the hire, but I would certainly be mad if he was the first choice. 

He's been good enough to get HC looks before (got the job once) and calls the right kind of system for Newton.

My bigger worry there is he's a tad "quirky", but overall still think he'd be a good choice.

#37 Ruff

Ruff

Formerly Know As RufftownRepresent

• HUDDLER
  • 5,612 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:02 AM

I'm not a fan of Cameron, but I don't think he could be the worst hire we could make for OC.

However, and again we go back to this, DG and JR are not going to pick their OC separately from the HC. The HC picks his staff, because he wants autonomy. He will want to know that he has the free reign to hire the people that he thinks will best help our team to win.

#38 Ruff

Ruff

• HUDDLER
  • 5,612 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:03 AM

Also: Dash, for the love of Jesus, please stop spelling Sumlin's name incorrectly.

#39 Dash Global

Dash Global

• HUDDLER
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:22 AM

You don't know how Dave Gettleman feels about college style / read-option type offenses, do you?

He's been good enough to get HC looks before (got the job once) and calls the right kind of system for Newton.

My bigger worry there is he's a tad "quirky", but overall still think he'd be a good choice.

I am not sure how he could have got looks / a HC job if we are talking about what he did as a OC. I checked his stats for his stints in OAK and ATL and was not impressed at all. 

To me, as a coordinator, you need to have multiple ie more than 1, seasons with a top 5-10 ranked squad. 

#40 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:25 AM

I think theres more to knowing who is a good coordinator than a fan looking at a few stats.

#41 Ruff

Ruff

• HUDDLER
  • 5,612 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:26 AM

I think theres more to knowing who is a good coordinator than a fan looking at a few stats.

Nailed it.

#42 Dash Global

Dash Global

• HUDDLER
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:27 AM

I'm not a fan of Cameron, but I don't think he could be the worst hire we could make for OC.

However, and again we go back to this, DG and JR are not going to pick their OC separately from the HC. The HC picks his staff, because he wants autonomy. He will want to know that he has the free reign to hire the people that he thinks will best help our team to win.

How could you not be a fan of a guy that basically averages a top 10 offensive unit? 

I know the FO is not gonna pick the coordinator separately. 

Even though I disagree with that philosophy. 

Obviously the most proven / talented guy will help our team to win the best. Regardless of past ties. 

Sadly HC's do not attempt to get the "best" guy. Instead they go for their buddies or people they have connections with. 

I am merely throwing out who I think would make the best realistic (if we wanted him) OC option. 

Not who is most likely to be hired. 

#43 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 16,836 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:28 AM

Isn't he the guy that got booted in favor or Jim Caldwell in Balt- that ended up saving their season and leading to the SB?

That Cam Cameron?

#44 Dash Global

Dash Global

• HUDDLER
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:29 AM

How else are you gonna judge a coordinator if not by his results coordinating? 

Or simply put, what is the better gauge for measuring an OC?

#45 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 34,792 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:30 AM

Jackson was interviewed for the Panthers OC job this year before it went to Shula. As I recall, word was that he was pretty interested in the job too.

For those of you who have seen his clips from Hard Knocks, I have to imagine his personality played a role in Rivera's decision not to hire him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.