PFF ranks Ginn higher than Smitty

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31 natty

natty

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:31 PM

I'd really like to get a taller receiver. There are some 6-4+ guys.

I don't care how tall, I want some speed.  Take advantage of Cam's arm.  

#32 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:36 PM

He is for a reason.  He is playing better this year.

Ginn is looking for one more paycheck, and knows that he has to show improvement to get it.

Smitty is aging, but still a threat.

#33 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 19,724 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:42 PM

they are playing different roles on the team right now. difficult comparison to make IMO

#34 OneBadCat

OneBadCat

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:00 PM

A couple drops and bad Cam throws has made Smith look worse than he's really playing right now.

That said I think our WR core works in a very delicate complimentary fashion right now. We need a couple more deep bombs completed to really open things up for everyone.

#35 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,403 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:16 PM

Who is our scouting dept?  Panthers have been woefully inept at drafting offensive talent outside of round 1.

If I recall, it is the same group from when Hurney was here, Gettleman kept them all on. Or should I say, JR did.  :cool:

FOOTBALL OPERATIONS:
Dave Gettleman: General Manager
Brandon Beane: Director of Football Operations
Don Gregory: Director of College Scouting
Mark Koncz: Director of Pro Scouting
Ryan Vermillion: Head Athletic Trainer

#36 Razeyfingers

Razeyfingers

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:24 PM

I have been holding my tongue on this subject and I cant say much. This how it is, every year many doubt Smitty can still play at a high level and every year they are wrong. With the acceleration in his step lacking the same punch its making it difficult for him to get separation. . . but he is still the smartest wr out there, he's still very athletic, and he still dole's out punishment to anyone that gets in his way.

the fact that he instinctively is always in a better place to make a play on the ball than Ginn should tell you who should be starting. . . . for now. 

#37 cbully

cbully

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:24 PM

in blocking or receiving?

BrandonLafell79TD.gif

steve.gif

Armanti would have never done either... moreover I was a Gettis fan and I doubt he would either. Brutal hits especially smitty. Now if our TEs hit like that, our rushing would be top notch!

#38 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:16 PM

In the last game of his career the Panthers should put smitty in at linebacker.

Would be fun to watch him.

#39 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,642 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:20 PM

they are playing different roles on the team right now. difficult comparison to make IMO

that and they are garnering different kinds of attention from DBs.

smitty makes ginn's job easier.

if you reversed roles and switched up who was getting covered by whom, which one would do better?

#40 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,272 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:22 PM

btw, was Smiths block legal? he did launch himself.

Announcers mentioned it was legal.  Smitty did not leave his feet, did not go for the head or lead with his helmet.  It was just the best.  Love that guy.

My guess is that he has been good for Ginn.

#41 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 19,724 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:30 PM

i think smitty will just get better as the season progresses. cam's learning to spread the ball around and as threats like ginn start to take over and demand extra coverage cam is going to start hitting steve on routes out of the slot with frequency.

i think i predicted a couple months ago that we'd see steve with a ratio of more receptions and less overall yards this year than we've seen in the past, and so far that's rung true; with the first five games as our sample size he's projected to end the season with 76 receptions and 717 yards (about average for receptions and simultaneously very un-steve-smith-like for total yards.) he's also projected for 6-7 TDs this year, which would also be about average.

if this isn't evidence for his role completely changing i don't know what is. it'd be a mistake to downplay him though, as a lot of these yards have come situationally to move the chains. steve is an integral part of what we do and as long as he can play in the slot and rack up these receptions he'll continue to be an asset to the team. in the meantime it's cool to see what we can do on offense when guys like ginn and lafell step up and make plays; it's weird to see highlights like the lafell touchdown with ginn throwing the crucial block because it's a highlight panthers play that doesn't directly involve smith.

continue to surround cam with weapons and smitty will continue to shine.

#42 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,642 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:41 PM

i think smitty will just get better as the season progresses. cam's learning to spread the ball around and as threats like ginn start to take over and demand extra coverage cam is going to start hitting steve on routes out of the slot with frequency.

i think i predicted a couple months ago that we'd see steve with a ratio of more receptions and less overall yards this year than we've seen in the past, and so far that's rung true; with the first five games as our sample size he's projected to end the season with 76 receptions and 717 yards (about average for receptions and simultaneously very un-steve-smith-like for total yards.) he's also projected for 6-7 TDs this year, which would also be about average.

if this isn't evidence for his role completely changing i don't know what is. it'd be a mistake to downplay him though, as a lot of these yards have come situationally to move the chains. steve is an integral part of what we do and as long as he can play in the slot and rack up these receptions he'll continue to be an asset to the team. in the meantime it's cool to see what we can do on offense when guys like ginn and lafell step up and make plays; it's weird to see highlights like the lafell touchdown with ginn throwing the crucial block because it's a highlight panthers play that doesn't directly involve smith.

continue to surround cam with weapons and smitty will continue to shine.

i agree.

i don't think he's lost much of a step, but the production just isn't going to where it typically is.

there's a couple things that are going on and will be going on in the next couple weeks.

1) smith is still learning his new role. remember he had to get coached up about playing the slot by proehl heading into this season and i'm guessing there's still an element that he's having to adjust to. that's not excusing the drops, btw. that's just him making mistakes.

2) cam is spreading the ball out a lot more than he has before. there's a good balance between smith, olsen, lafell, and ginn. what's going to happen is that defenses are going to have to pay more attention to the other guys and that will open smith up a little more. i don't think the yardage will be close to what it was, tho, just because the role he had filled before just resulted in a lot of yardage...which is the reason that ginn is doing so well yardage-wise. i think his TDs will be on the low side pretty much because the role he's filling doesn't really result in a lot of TDs either.

#43 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• HUDDLER
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:22 PM

Wouldn't surprise me if we didn't draft a WR until like round 3 or 4

#44 footballisasport

footballisasport

• HUDDLER
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:30 PM

People can rag on Steve right now, but once he's gone, they'll be blubbering like a little kid.

He's 34, it isn't his fault we have been dreadfully inept at acquiring a worthy replacement for him. Or hell, even someone worthy enough to just pair with him since Moose left. If you think you are unhappy with our receiver core right now, just wait a few more years and see.

Ginn has certainly been impressive, I just hope he can consistently maintain this level of play.

The question is, are you guys honestly looking for a replacement for Smitty?

Think about tht before you answer. :)

#45 nickzz

nickzz

o

• HUDDLER
  • 2,763 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:35 PM

The question is, are you guys honestly looking for a replacement for Smitty?

Think about tht before you answer. :)

...yes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com