Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Our GREAT defensive AND Offensive drive stats

16 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

The most important stat for our offense is turnovers, period. Our fumble against Seattle screwed us over, the turnover on downs and red zone INT vs Arizona killed us, and Cam even threw an INT deep in Bufalo territory in that game. We keep working on protecting the football and everything will fall into place.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

nice finds, we have been pretty solid minimizing 3 and outs during Cam's time here.  

Posted · Report post

you should keep a log of those ranks after each week. After about 3 weeks, you will be able to see a trend, if a trend is formed.

See my spreadsheet HERE > https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40564578/offenseStats.htm

Probably should, but probably won't   :P

i do think your spreadsheet is pretty cool though, good work on that

Posted · Report post

Offensive time of possession (1st place) is big to me.  Keeping our defense well-rested becomes more and more important with Edwards taking the month of October off.

Then again, ......Fua.

Posted · Report post

The most important stat for our offense is turnovers, period. Our fumble against Seattle screwed us over, the turnover on downs and red zone INT vs Arizona killed us, and Cam even threw an INT deep in Bufalo territory in that game. We keep working on protecting the football and everything will fall into place.

if it weren't for pooty turnovers and drops, our points per drive would be probably 3rd or 2nd.  Mainly because we have the least amount of possessions in the NFL (albeit with one less game than many also)

Posted · Report post

Just finished compiling the drive stats from the gamebooks during lunch...since Teeray started this thread already, I'll just add in some observations. Continuing from post last week.

Rankings thru 6 weeks all teams: Drives starting from your own 20rd or worse.

% Scoring

1. Denver - 51% (19 scoring drives out of 37 drives total)
  2. Carolina - 43% (10 scoring out of 23 drives)
  3. Atlanta - 41% (13 scoring out of 31 drives)
  4. GreenBay - 41%
  5. SanDiego - 39%

League Worst: Tampa Bay @ 11% (interesting note: Tampa has not scored a TD on a drive 80+ yards all season. Only team that hasn't.)

StLouis: is 18th @ 25%.

League Average is 28%.

Carolina Week to Week ranking (all scoring, 80+yds):

Wk1 - 21st @17%

Wk2 - 6th @40%

Wk3 - 2nd @46%

Wk4 - 2nd @46% (bye week, Denver held onto #1, no one climbed past the Panthers)

Wk5 - 6th @38%

Wk6 - 2nd @43%

And before people start yelling FieldGoals instead of TDs,....Carolina (30%) is still 2nd to Denver (43%)if you only look @TD drives of 80+ yds. So right now it's taking Peyton's record setting performance to hold onto that #1 spot.

I have total drive data ready also, but the reason I look at 80yd+ drives is my opinion (not yet supported by any data) is that I can try to evaluate if this offense and Schula are actually any good. Requires that your offense HAS to move the ball to score. Some teams operate well on short drives caused by their defense or special teams making plays. But isolated, they are very pedestrian. I.e. SanFran abused Greenbay's poor zone scheme in week 1 (ranked #1 @80%),  but have since fallen to 16th (26%).

As for the Panthers, they are a true enigma...just like last week, they are still only 1 of 2 teams (Bengals) that scoring drive % gets worse as I included all drives. Average is an increase is 7%, Panthers at -6% (32nd in the league). Not sure if this is a Schula playcalling issue, Cam rhythm, or just some type of redzone issue. Still needs drilldown.

Will provide defensive version later.

Correlation not causation data point: Teams who have a better # of drives (than their opponent) starting better than your the 20yd line won 73% of the time. There are quite a few teams who can't score consistently if they have to drive 80yds. Undefeated Kansas City only scores 21% of the time, 26th in the league. On a "soft" schedule. On the flip side, the KC defense is only allowing only scoring drives on 12% of drives.

6 people like this

Posted · Report post

Just finished compiling the drive stats from the gamebooks during lunch...since Teeray started this thread already, I'll just add in some observations. Continuing from post last week.

Rankings thru 6 weeks all teams: Drives starting from your own 20rd or worse.

% Scoring

1. Denver - 51% (19 scoring drives out of 37 drives total)
  2. Carolina - 43% (10 scoring out of 23 drives)
  3. Atlanta - 41% (13 scoring out of 31 drives)
  4. GreenBay - 41%
  5. SanDiego - 39%

League Worst: Tampa Bay @ 11% (interesting note: Tampa has not scored a TD on a drive 80+ yards all season. Only team that hasn't.)

StLouis: is 18th @ 25%.

League Average is 28%.

Carolina Week to Week ranking (all scoring, 80+yds):

Wk1 - 21st @17%

Wk2 - 6th @40%

Wk3 - 2nd @46%

Wk4 - 2nd @46% (bye week, Denver held onto #1, no one climbed past the Panthers)

Wk5 - 6th @38%

Wk6 - 2nd @43%

And before people start yelling FieldGoals instead of TDs,....Carolina (30%) is still 2nd to Denver (43%)if you only look @TD drives of 80+ yds. So right now it's taking Peyton's record setting performance to hold onto that #1 spot.

I have total drive data ready also, but the reason I look at 80yd+ drives is my opinion (not yet supported by any data) is that I can try to evaluate if this offense and Schula are actually any good. Requires that your offense HAS to move the ball to score. Some teams operate well on short drives caused by their defense or special teams making plays. But isolated, they are very pedestrian. I.e. SanFran abused Greenbay's poor zone scheme in week 1 (ranked #1 @80%),  but have since fallen to 16th (26%).

As for the Panthers, they are a true enigma...just like last week, they are still only 1 of 2 teams (Bengals) that scoring drive % gets worse as I included all drives. Average is an increase is 7%, Panthers at -6% (32nd in the league). Not sure if this is a Schula playcalling issue, Cam rhythm, or just some type of redzone issue. Still needs drilldown.

Will provide defensive version later.

Correlation not causation data point: Teams who have a better # of drives (than their opponent) starting better than your the 20yd line won 73% of the time. There are quite a few teams who can't score consistently if they have to drive 80yds. Undefeated Kansas City only scores 21% of the time, 26th in the league. On a "soft" schedule. On the flip side, the KC defense is only allowing only scoring drives on 12% of drives.

Great info. But this team just doesn't make any damn sense, we're like the Mask reincarnated as a football team.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I feel like I walked into a scene of Moneyball

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Some Quick defensive #s.

Scoring drives allowed 80+yds

Panthers - Tied for 10th with 5 other teams (@24%)

1. KC - 12%
  2. SF - 16%
  3. DET - 17%
  4. PIT - 20%
  5. CLE - 21%

One caveat - Panthers are making opposing teams drive 80+yards 73% of the time to score TDs. Tied for 1st with Denver. THANK YOU Gano, Norman, and the Panther Offense for not going 3 and out. :thumbsu:

New Orleans is 3rd @66%.

Pitt is last @36%. (so that 4th ranked number above is misleading team stat)

Posted · Report post

it's almost sickening that we can look like that and still have a losing record.

1 person likes this