Photo
- - - - -

False equivalence: how 'balance' makes the media dangerously dumb

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

#46 PhillyB

PhillyB

sườn núi phía đông thứ ba của mặt trời

SUPPORTER

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:07 AM

Much better to have a unified media message telling us all what to think, right?

Like NBC telling us about exploding gas tanks and CBS having documents showing how W dodged the draft (miraculously written with MS Word before it was invented).

Sounds great :unsure:

he's not arguing that fair and balanced media is bad, he's arguing that fox news is not fair and balanced media

#47 mav1234

mav1234

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:01 AM

Much better to have a unified media message telling us all what to think, right?

Like NBC telling us about exploding gas tanks and CBS having documents showing how W dodged the draft (miraculously written with MS Word before it was invented).

Sounds great :unsure:

Maybe those networks wouldn't be like that if there wasn't some mad rush to draw specific demographics with pseudo-news and opinion masquerading as fact.

#48 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:37 AM

he's not arguing that fair and balanced media is bad, he's arguing that fox news is not fair and balanced media

But these other outlets are okay? Why do they get a pass?

(and be real, you know why)

easy to see how people get caught up in a single-minded narrative as directed by power structures through media outlets and then let "common sense" operate within the constraints of that particular representation of reality

Which is what you're actually advocating as something that ought to happen, provided the "single minded narrative" agrees with your point of view. That's completely antithetical to a free society.

So yes or no Phil, do you want free speech or not?

And don't give me a cop out like "I want everyone believing the truth" because what you're really talking about is one single version of the truth, which you know good and well is impossible unless you're willing to force people to believe only the 'approved' point of view.

And if you're okay with that, I'm sure Leonid Brezhnev would approve :(

#49 PhillyB

PhillyB

sườn núi phía đông thứ ba của mặt trời

SUPPORTER

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

i was going to respond to all the misrepresentations and misunderstandings of my statements that fill your post and then i just saw you actually almost baited me into explaining why i am not leonid brezhnev and realized it's probably hopeless