Most important man Sunday

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,080 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:21 PM

Byron Bell.  He will win or lose this game for us in the grand scheme of things.   Bell has a good game, we probably can win big.  His job however, will be tough and you can't predict what he brings each week

#2 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,993 posts
  • Location704

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:23 PM

Yup. The Panthers OL could be the pendulum that swings the game one way or another. 

Still believe that we're going to need a big game from LaFell and/or Ginn. 

#3 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 9,044 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:24 PM

i think we always need a big game from our oline, all of them to have a chance

#4 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,080 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

i think we always need a big game from our oline, all of them to have a chance

Bell seems to be the biggest X factor though IMO.  He either gets beat like a drum all day or plays okay.  He doesn't seem to just get beat here or there like most of our lineman might.

#5 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 13,993 posts
  • Location704

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:43 PM

Any word if Chris Long is going to play Sunday? Could be a big homecoming for Robert Quinn on Sunday. 

#6 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,080 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:46 PM

Any word if Chris Long is going to play Sunday? Could be a big homecoming for Robert Quinn on Sunday. 

Long is playing.  Sure sounded like it in his presser yesterday.   They have two good DEs...which means Bell will have a bad matchup every snap.

#7 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,269 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:51 PM

I think they need to scheme to give Bell some help on a fairly regular basis.

#8 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,498 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:55 PM

I think they need to scheme to give Bell some help on a fairly regular basis.

Agreed.  No reason they can't let the tight end chip him a bit or have the running back help out.  The problem will be when they blitz and they will.  Still we did a pretty good job against Minnesota and they blitzed on a bunch of plays.  We seem susceptible to the delayed blitz where the DE goes wide and the safety or linebacker comes up the hole created between the guard and tackle.  that is normally the running back's job to pick up but if he helps Bell, there is a hole.

#9 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 19,134 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:03 PM

i really hope shula uses deanglo on chip blocks before releasing out into the flats on passing downs. we effectively neutralized the vikings pass rush that way last week and cam looked damn efficient on dump-offs and screens when he got in trouble (which subsequently opened things up downfield on the longer throws.)

this game rests as much on shula and his scheme/gameplan as it does byron bell IMO

#10 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,269 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:17 PM

Agreed. No reason they can't let the tight end chip him a bit or have the running back help out. The problem will be when they blitz and they will. Still we did a pretty good job against Minnesota and they blitzed on a bunch of plays. We seem susceptible to the delayed blitz where the DE goes wide and the safety or linebacker comes up the hole created between the guard and tackle. that is normally the running back's job to pick up but if he helps Bell, there is a hole.

Pretty much.

They could go 'max protect' but I don't think our receiving corps is good enough that we can do that very much and expect success.

Shula went with a 'quick pass' approach last game (smart move when your O-Line isn't exactly dominant). That's more appropos of a WCO than a Coryell but if they can continue being successful that way, I'm for it.

#11 blak-n-blu

blak-n-blu

THE FRANCHISE

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:18 PM

if you scared of the pass rush.. then the most important guy would be DeAngelo.. if he gets going.. then it should slow down the rush.. 

#12 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,061 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:19 PM

I still can't get over Bell just standing there blocking nobody while Cam under pressure threw that TD pass to Lafell.

#13 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,080 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:23 PM

if you scared of the pass rush.. then the most important guy would be DeAngelo.. if he gets going.. then it should slow down the rush.. 

Important for him to be consistent.....no negative runs.  That was a big issue against AZ.  Once the run disappeared we were in 3rd and longs all game.  The reason AZ was teeing off on us is b/c we were in 3rd and longs all 2nd half.

#14 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,262 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:25 PM

i really hope shula uses deanglo on chip blocks before releasing out into the flats on passing downs. we effectively neutralized the vikings pass rush that way last week and cam looked damn efficient on dump-offs and screens when he got in trouble (which subsequently opened things up downfield on the longer throws.)

this game rests as much on shula and his scheme/gameplan as it does byron bell IMO

Screw it.....just line Harsock's ass up beside Bell all game long and double team the DE.

#15 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,269 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:28 PM

I'd agree.

I would say DeAngelo, while vastly improved over his early years, still isn't the most devastating blocking back in the league.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.