Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cam throwing on the run...

48 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Cam is very boom or bust when he gets out of the pocket.  Either way, when he gets loose he's either about to make a huge play or a very deflating one.  If he becomes more consistent then watch out... because he'll be unstoppable.

Posted · Report post

He's good at designed runs and option but If you take all of his scrambles and all of his sacks. they even out or worse. He goes backwards a ton. He kills drives more than he extends them.

Posted · Report post

Live by the Cam, die by the Cam.  It'll be nice when that's not the case and he can have a 0 TD 5 INT game and still somehow manage to win like some other QBs. *cough*

4edeb5b70d93da272879e2632b38e1da.jpg

Posted · Report post

He's good at designed runs and option but If you take all of his scrambles and all of his sacks. they even out or worse. He goes backwards a ton. He kills drives more than he extends them.

Are we watching the same player?

CAM-NEWTON-DOIN-WORK.gif

cam-Newton.gif

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

It's funny, they never seem to make .gifs of 15 yard losses.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Great retort. I guess it's trolling night for KendrickPanther.

Posted · Report post

I'd say his passing on the run is about like his passing in general.  Looks spectacular on one play, substandard a few plays later.

As has been said many times, gunslingers like Newton are rarely consistent with their ball placement.  You coach them to be as accurate as possible, but you're never going to make a Tom Brady / Aaron Rodgers pinpoint deadeye passer out of this type of quarterback (Favre was scattershot right up to the end).

What you're shooting for with a gunslinger is for more of the balls to be catchable than not.  If you can get that and combine it with receivers who are good at adjusting to the ball, you can win a lot of games.

That's the goal.

3 people like this

Posted · Report post

Yeah MrScot, I would love to see us get that Plaxico type receiver with the wing span. A giant target area with good hands. Those guys are hard to find and hard to pay but I think Cam's game would improve greatly with that kind of guy.

Posted · Report post

Plaxico: 6'5" 232 4.59

Mike Evans: 6'5" 225 4.58

Evans is a perfect fit for Cam.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Yeah MrScot, I would love to see us get that Plaxico type receiver with the wing span. A giant target area with good hands. Those guys are hard to find and hard to pay but I think Cam's game would improve greatly with that kind of guy.

One major difference from Plaxico: I'd prefer one with a functioning brain.

Gives me an idea though...

Posted · Report post

ku-xlarge.gif

NewtonGrounder.gif

So, yea. He's just an inconsistent passer. The percentage of erratic throws probably increases when he leaves the pocket because it is a much more difficult throw to make. Throwing on the run is something that can be practiced though.

3 people like this

Posted · Report post

Russell Wilson is incredible at running and keeping track of the routes, using his vision and making the throw. I imagine it's something they work on a ton because he is a true scrambler. Cam doesn't "scramble" well. He runs well and he throws well but he's very average when you put the two together. The one thing I would love to see Cam take from Wilson's game is to throw the ball in the dirt when he doesn't have a play. Sometimes he gets away but most of the time he throws a pick or takes a bad sack when he tries to make a play.

Russell Wilson is this generation's Fran Tarkenton. 

For those of you who didn't get to watch him play, Tarkenton was an amazing scrambler.  He'd run around back there for about 50 yards sometimes trying to avoid the pass rush...then somehow, find a way to get the ball to a receiver.  It was really something to see.  To this day, I still haven't seen anyone run around as much as he did, but Wilson probably comes the closest.