Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cam throwing on the run...

48 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

ku-xlarge.gif

NewtonGrounder.gif

So, yea. He's just an inconsistent passer. The percentage of erratic throws probably increases when he leaves the pocket because it is a much more difficult throw to make. Throwing on the run is something that can be practiced though.

Just a heads up, that second link is broken.  But pie for the first gif, haven't seen that play since the actual game... damn, I forgot how far back he was from the endzone.  That throw is impressive as fug considering the distance, accuracy, and it being on the run.

Edit: Nevermind on the link being broken... it wasn't working for me at first.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Can't compare Cam, or anyone else for that matter, to Wilson on throwing on the run. Been watching football for 30+ years. I can't remember a QB that could throw on the run as well as Wilson. He's still young, but has the potential to be the GOAT throwing on the run.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

The best Pass Ive seen from Cam was a scramble,..not a bootleg though. It was the scramble against the Taints last year...where Cam scrambled, jumped straight up and toss a 60 yd bomb to Smitty. We all know Smitty made a great catch and then was cheapshotted by Roman Harper. Think about that...jump straight up and launch a laser 60 yards all arm no body..that is incredible and I doubt any other qb can do that.

Posted · Report post

Can't compare Cam, or anyone else for that matter, to Wilson on throwing on the run. Been watching football for 30+ years. I can't remember a QB that could throw on the run as well as Wilson. He's still young, but has the potential to be the GOAT throwing on the run.

Brees, Montana

Posted · Report post

Sheesh and calling Cam a gun slinger is really slinging some BS. 

Posted · Report post

I would have to agree with the OP.  While Cam lands a few every now and again, it is more often than not that the ball sails on him.  Luckily for us, it really isn't THAT important he be able to throw on the run.  I mean, what percentage of passes come on either designed bootlegs or are a product of escaping the pass rush?  I would venture to say that percentage is low.  Passing from the pocket and running when necessary is what wins the games.  Though, I do wish Cam wasn't as clumsy running the ball; seems he is always tripping or slipping on the grass.

Posted · Report post

i think Wilson baseball background has helped him become one of the better QBs that throw while running.

Posted · Report post

I would have to agree with the OP.  While Cam lands a few every now and again, it is more often than not that the ball sails on him.  Luckily for us, it really isn't THAT important he be able to throw on the run.  I mean, what percentage of passes come on either designed bootlegs or are a product of escaping the pass rush?  I would venture to say that percentage is low.  Passing from the pocket and running when necessary is what wins the games.  Though, I do wish Cam wasn't as clumsy running the ball; seems he is always tripping or slipping on the grass.

I think this is the point that the OP was alluding to.

If Cam were a better thrower on the run, then we could open up the playbook, and scare the crap out of opposing D's.

Like most NFL QB's, Cam isn't great throwing on the run....it's freaking hard, but he is better than most if only because of the arm strength.

He will get better at this as he matures though, and then it's game on.

Posted · Report post

He's not bad, not great/amazing.

Wilson can make some insane throws on the run. 

That one against us was one of the most ridiculous football plays I have seen.

Posted · Report post

That one against us was one of the most ridiculous football plays I have seen.

yea i've never seen anything like that before in my life. i'm guessing you were at that game though so that must have been insane to see.

Posted · Report post

yea i've never seen anything like that before in my life. i'm guessing you were at that game though so that must have been insane to see.

I was sitting in the endzone behind Wilson when he threw that and the second it left his hand I was certain it would be intercepted. Still not 100% sure he didn't just close his eyes and fling it.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I noticed last week when Cam escaped pressure and got outside the pocket he made a throw downfield that was no where close to it's intended target.  I also remember during the preseason he rolled out and threw down field to an open Smith and damn near threw a pick over Smith's head.  It got me thinking, is throwing on the run just not a strength of Cam's?

You would think the Panthers would try to utilize bootlegs and movement to help negate the poor blocking at times as well as slowing down the rush.  But we rarely do this.  I know Cam has made great passes on the run at times but I just don't think it's his forte.  Watching Wilson tonight made me realize how ineffective Cam is at making these throws.  Other QB's who are good at this include Aaron Rodgers, Big Ben, and Steve Young was probably one of the best, it just adds a different dynamic to their games.

So to review, not bashing Cam, just wondering if anyone else noticed this and if you had clips from games that could disprove it and make me feel differently.

I've noticed that Cam's throws down field often miss the mark.

• Masters of PIE !