Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:56 PM

50/50

He's not great at it but he's not bad at it either. It's an aspect to his game that could improve though.

#17 Frizzy350

Frizzy350

• HUDDLER
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:33 PM

For a mobile QB Cam isn't a great thrower on the run unless he is running in a way that compliments his throwing motion (Steve Smith TD vs the Raiders last year is a perfect example).

Honestly I don't find it a big deal and it's not a problem if you can give your QB time in a pocket (we can't, unfortunately).  Even though Cam is an athletic freak I wouldn't classify him as a "mobile" quarterback.  When I think of mobile quarterback I think of guys like Randall Cunningham, Russel Wilson, Doug Flutie, etc.  Guys that run around and buy time hoping a play breaks down and find someone open to throw to.  Cam is a pocket quarterback, and when a play breaks down he turns into a truck that goes for the first down/touchdown himself.

#18 beastson

beastson

Cam

• HUDDLER
  • 9,059 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:34 PM

Unless somebody is wide open, like that Olsen pass that was called back on a terrible holding call, I rather him throw it out of bounds on the run if he's throwing it

#19 CardiacCats

CardiacCats

• HUDDLER
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:41 PM

It isn't his best attribute, he is better in the pocket, but he has made lots of plays throwing outside the pocket on the move.

yeah it's as simple as this

#20 firstdayfan

firstdayfan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationColumbia, SC

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:53 PM

The play against oakland is a great example of Cam making a play outside the pocket.  I'm not saying he "can't"...I'm just saying we don't really see it much and I just feel like it isn't a strength.

Another QB that can throw pretty well on the run is Cutler, they run a lot of bootlegs and play actions.  Its just something I noticed and felt like it was something we just do not utilize.

I do think it could be better with practice and better footwork, but I also think some QB's just have a natural ability to do it.  There's no questioning Cam's arm and I think his accuracy has actually been much better this year, but this is one of those aspects of his game that hasn't been as amazing as the rest.  That's all.

#21 MasterAwesome

MasterAwesome

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:22 PM

Cam's only real shortcoming as a QB (IMO) is his consistency..this is just another byproduct of that. He has thrown some beautiful passes on the run, and he has thrown some duds. He is obviously capable and has all the ability in the world, he just needs to be able to put it together on the field every week.

#22 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,614 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:22 AM

Russell Wilson is incredible at running and keeping track of the routes, using his vision and making the throw. I imagine it's something they work on a ton because he is a true scrambler. Cam doesn't "scramble" well. He runs well and he throws well but he's very average when you put the two together. The one thing I would love to see Cam take from Wilson's game is to throw the ball in the dirt when he doesn't have a play. Sometimes he gets away but most of the time he throws a pick or takes a bad sack when he tries to make a play.

#23 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,257 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:35 AM

Cam doesn't "scramble" well.

What.

#24 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• HUDDLER
  • 8,319 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:39 AM

Cam's one of the best scramblers in the game wtf.

#25 RelaxImaPro

RelaxImaPro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,321 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:39 AM

Cam is very boom or bust when he gets out of the pocket.  Either way, when he gets loose he's either about to make a huge play or a very deflating one.  If he becomes more consistent then watch out... because he'll be unstoppable.

#26 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,614 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:44 AM

He's good at designed runs and option but If you take all of his scrambles and all of his sacks. they even out or worse. He goes backwards a ton. He kills drives more than he extends them.

#27 RelaxImaPro

RelaxImaPro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,321 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:48 AM

Live by the Cam, die by the Cam.  It'll be nice when that's not the case and he can have a 0 TD 5 INT game and still somehow manage to win like some other QBs. *cough*

4edeb5b70d93da272879e2632b38e1da.jpg

#28 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,257 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:51 AM

He's good at designed runs and option but If you take all of his scrambles and all of his sacks. they even out or worse. He goes backwards a ton. He kills drives more than he extends them.

Are we watching the same player?

CAM-NEWTON-DOIN-WORK.gif

cam-Newton.gif

#29 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,614 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:54 AM

It's funny, they never seem to make .gifs of 15 yard losses.

#30 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,257 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:57 AM

Great retort. I guess it's trolling night for KendrickPanther.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.