Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is God omnipotent?

81 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Believing the earth is billions of years old and being a person of faith/believing in God aren't mutually exclusive.

FYI you sound arrogant as fug

Lalala I cant hear you from the hole in my heart that hasnt been filed by God's love yet.  

FYI that was just one example of the red/blue apple discussion that I felt like using. 

FYI on a serious note, if you dont believe the Earth is 6000 years old then you probably let your voice be heard.  Some Christain groups are teaching that and are pushing for it to be taught in public schools.

FYI everything typed after FYI is "for your information" so it is redundant to type it, because there is an implied FYI

Posted · Report post

Maybe it's because I don't live down south like most of you but I've never met a person of faith arguing that the earth is in fact 6000 years old. They all have the same understanding the earth is billions of years old and we didn't come from Adam and Eve.

Earth is 6000 years old

http://youtu.be/l1msS71xL00

Posted · Report post

though I agree that many churches stray from biblical teachings, I have yet to meet a pastor who couldn't answer such simple questions.
I would like to.

which simple questions?

Posted · Report post

Lalala I cant hear you from the hole in my heart that hasnt been filed by God's love yet.

FYI that was just one example of the red/blue apple discussion that I felt like using.

FYI on a serious note, if you dont believe the Earth is 6000 years old then you probably let your voice be heard. Some Christain groups are teaching that and are pushing for it to be taught in public schools.

FYI everything typed after FYI is "for your information" so it is redundant to type it, because there is an implied FYI

Yeah way to side step the point.

Congrats on proving your arrogance though
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Just something to be understood.  Later on in the same book, we see Israel (with God) take out Sisera's army, who had 900 chariots of iron.  Early on in Judges, we see the people failing to take the land as God commanded, and God is displeased with their resolve.  So He doesn't Himself drive all the Canaanites out, but let them remain in the land to become a thorn in the Israelites backside.  You could say of course this is just my reasoning, but from the way the text reads (and I'm talking that whole first chapter, not just the verse in question) and comparing it to other text, it was the people who were afraid of the chariots of iron.  God told the people to remove the Canaanites from the land, and He was with them for that purpose.  So the people were afraid of the chariots, and they didn't force the people out of the valley.

Still surely despite the fears of mere humans an omnipotent being should not be dissuaded by chariots?  If Yahweh is omnipotent then how could an army that he is with be defeated by any force not equal to his?  If the Israelites truly knew they were accompanied by the actual creator of the universe capable of doing anything and everything wouldn't they have been so emboldened as to be afraid of nothing?

Posted · Report post

Yeah way to side step the point.

Congrats on proving your arrogance though

Im sure most people understood my point.

My point was an example of a religious person refusing evidence that would contradict the bible.  Just because all Christians dont say the Earth is 6000 doesnt negate the point that many do.  

Im not sure what you want a list of more contradictions?  Do I have to find a specific contradiction that 100% of  Christians negate(yeah right).  I mean really what do you want?

Posted · Report post

Still surely despite the fears of mere humans an omnipotent being should not be dissuaded by chariots?  If Yahweh is omnipotent then how could an army that he is with be defeated by any force not equal to his?  If the Israelites truly knew they were accompanied by the actual creator of the universe capable of doing anything and everything wouldn't they have been so emboldened as to be afraid of nothing?

Clearly the Israelites demonstrated that they lacked a "true faith" in God.

I am surprised he did not smite them all right where they stood with a flood of man eating locusts, a raging fire storm of biblical proportions, or something else big and dramatic!  I mean, God turned that one woman into a pillar of salt just for looking over her shoulder at some village he had just leveled.  Who wouldn't want to check that out?

I wonder if God regretted choosing the Israelites as the "chosen ones" after that embarrassing fiasco?

God: "Hmm, I'm so disappointed, next time I create a universe I'm choosing those nice vegans instead.  What they do with tofu is simply miraculous!"

Posted · Report post

which simple questions?

regarding the omnipotence of God.

I assumed when you mentioned "these questions" in your first post, that's shatters you were talking about

e: shatters = what. strange autocorrect. Leaving it

Posted · Report post

I could give you my answer, which is a Christian answer, seeing the Biblical pattern.  Ultimately that answer probably wouldn't be universally accepted, but I could make the case among those who believe.  So based on what was mentioned and comparing it to many other incidents concerning the people during this time and so on, my answer is the people wasn't depending on God's strength at that time when fighting the people with iron chariots.  It was when the people saw the iron chariots, that they began to doubt themselves.  Just like that saying goes of "walking by faith and not by sight".  Faith being trusting God, not believing He exists.  A similar instance was during Moses' time, when the people didn't enter the promise land because of the report of there being giants in the land.  That would be my answer.

Posted · Report post

regarding the omnipotence of God.

i've never once heard anything approaching a satisfactory resolution of the problem of a god who is assigned simultaneously the characteristics of "good/kind/loving" and "omnipotent" without launching into contortions regarding the definitions of goodness, kindness, and lovingness.

if you can shed some light i'm all ears

Posted · Report post

Im sure most people understood my point.

My point was an example of a religious person refusing evidence that would contradict the bible. Just because all Christians dont say the Earth is 6000 doesnt negate the point that many do.

Im not sure what you want a list of more contradictions? Do I have to find a specific contradiction that 100% of Christians negate(yeah right). I mean really what do you want?

I haven't met a single person who believes the earth is 6000 years old. I've been going to private catholic schools my whole education and not once have I ever had a teacher tell me the earth is 6000 years old. All have taught me the theory of evolution and the bible and god were no where near the conversation. Which is exactly my point. They aren't mutually exclusive. I can believe in God and science. No one is denying facts.

But what you are denying is that you come off as arrogant when you try to generalize an entire religious group when you clearly don't know that much about them. That much is true

Posted · Report post

i've never once heard anything approaching a satisfactory resolution of the problem of a god who is assigned simultaneously the characteristics of "good/kind/loving" and "omnipotent" without launching into contortions regarding the definitions of goodness, kindness, and lovingness.

if you can shed some light i'm all ears

First, I want to know if this will turn into an omnipotence or pantheism thing. No Christian that I've ever met subscribes to pantheism because the natural laws of our universe that keep us alive also give our lives limitations (some worse than others).
If this will turn out being one of the "if god is so good, explain childhood leukemia" discussions, then I won't waste my time.

• Latest Articles

• Recent Comments