Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

About this Win

38 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Different context and different scenario.  First of all we were up by 15 which is at least 2 TDs with a 2 point conversion.  They had their backup quarterback in the game and they were going nowhere. It is all fine and good to bring up the blown games and last minute collapses but football is about situations and matchups.  Yesterday there was no need to throw the ball down the field in the fourth quarter.  We did show a lot of fight and poise yesterday and had the game under control.  

Sure down the road in a different circumstance we might need to do exactly what you advocate but Rivera and Shula called a good game and did a good job yesterday.  Why nitpick or try and find something wrong?  Enjoy the win.  Lets see how he does the next two games against division rivals.  Tampa and Atlanta both won on big comebacks in the fourth quarter last year.  We might be a little more aggressive at the end against them. We will see.

great response. add to that, it was a home game in which the fans were actually engaged and taking ownership of their stadium. much different than being away and having the opposing fans getting their team fired up.

plus, like you said, we were up by 15 heading into the 4th and then after we stopped that drive they were on we tacked on another three, making it a three possession game at the very least. and then consider that the panthers had gotten into the rams heads and the rams were out of control with their emotions. they were getting toyed with by the panthers and the rams couldn't help themselves and kept racking up dumb 15 yard penalties.

AND THEN...their QB goes down and they are stuck with kellen frikkin clemens under center...in a VERY hostile environment...down by 15 or whatever...and their team spiraled out of control. 

they weren't coming back and any points they put up were going to be answered by us.  

we had the cushion we needed. a fifteen point lead in the fourth with momentum and the clock and the crowd on our side is quite enough to come out with a win, and we did. rivera didn't skate by here. rivera and shula called the right game and the players executed well and the fans did what they were supposed to. 

it was as good of a game as you could want to have. we fought hard for that win and it was every bit as convincing a win as our other two. 

more than that, this team established it's identity. the team and the fans found themselves. 

rivera said early on something about us being the little brother that everybody liked to pick on, but one day we were going to start punching back. 

i think the punching back has started.

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

I'd actually love to hear from those at the game of how people in the stands were acting today. The environment seemed so much better, and not just because we were winning. Dare I say, it seemed like a "fun" crowd? 

If ANYONE was told to sit down or be quiet, as I have been in the past, the person telling them to do so should receive a swift kick in the genitalia. 

It was different ... loud, fun and at times .... rowdy.  The fans were fueling the emotion on the field.  Gross set the tone when he went after Quick after the hit on Cam.  It was close to my seats and Jordan was going after him.  It wasn't just for show.  Also, our defense plays with attitude.  They expect to dominate.

I am looking forward to the next home game against the Falcons.  It runs deep with these teams and for one, I don't care for Ryan.  Expect more fireworks at that game. 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Looks like Lil' Smitty picked the best game in the last 4 years to come to Charlotte for his first game.  I hope he enjoyed the game and makes it back for a playoff game very soon!  :)

Posted · Report post

You had to be there to feel it, but the team, the fans, the coaches . . . even the aisle vendors . . . were reunited.  A relationship once static and fading, flamed anew.  This team should beat Tampa Bay even if it is on a short week.  We will see if the "corner" has been turned when we play Atlanta and their atrocious defense.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I don't think I could disagree with this more. The Buffalo game was a six point lead. Killing the clock was the right thing to do in that situation. An incomplete pass, QB sack, or interception would have been a killer.

Playing for a FG in the Buffalo game, set up the Panthers to lose with a Buffalo TD, which is exactly what happened (for the umpteenth time with Rivera). If the Panthers would have scored a TD, the game would have been over. 

You can't play scared football in the NFL and expect to succeed. 

Posted · Report post

Playing for a FG in the Buffalo game, set up the Panthers to lose with a Buffalo TD, which is exactly what happened (for the umpteenth time with Rivera). If the Panthers would have scored a TD, the game would have been over.

You can't play scared football in the NFL and expect to succeed.

Correct.... Which is a completely different scenario than being up by 15 and controlling the clock against the Rams. One possession game vs a two possession game and a two point conversion is not apples-to-apples. Not every situation should be a go for the kill situation. .
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I'd actually love to hear from those at the game of how people in the stands were acting today. The environment seemed so much better, and not just because we were winning. Dare I say, it seemed like a "fun" crowd? 

If ANYONE was told to sit down or be quiet, as I have been in the past, the person telling them to do so should receive a swift kick in the genitalia. 

It definitely felt different in the stadium Sunday.  First of all, there were not many Rams fans there. Crowd was more spirited and there seemed to be more interaction with the players.  When Cam ran around firing up the crowd, then point to the turf...it was awesome.  He was so fired up.  Loved it!!!!!!

I mentioned somewhere else...loved the videos made by players which came on the screen when the Rams were on 3rd down....asking the fans to STAND UP and make noise.  The first one that appeared was Luke..he said "We need you." The crowd responded.

Next home game....Atlanta, that place should be rocking.

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

This helps us with an identity.

The 2003 Panthers were the Cardiac Cat under Jake Delhomme.  The fans identified and embraced that team. 

Yesterday our fans identified with the "We are Done getting pushed around" attitude this team is portraying. 

I love the unity.  When J. Gross stood up for Cam that said NO ONE F-Ks with MY QB.  Gross is a team leader and though he eventually (smartly) got out of the spotlight.  He was as big a part of getting this image out to this team.

It think it was Hardy getting the fans louder and louder (might have been Cam)

You could sense (even through the TV) our fans were getting behind our team.

So, what you're saying is this years theme song is "We're Not Gonna Take it" by Twisted Sister!

Posted · Report post

You know it was a mean and nasty enviroment when Steve Smith didn't look like the craziest person on the field. 

this made me laugh

Posted · Report post

So, what you're saying is this years theme song is "We're Not Gonna Take it" by Twisted Sister!

That is my era of Music....  I am down.

70's-80's Classic Rock

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Correct.... Which is a completely different scenario than being up by 15 and controlling the clock against the Rams. One possession game vs a two possession game and a two point conversion is not apples-to-apples. Not every situation should be a go for the kill situation. .

My point regarding the thread was; "instead of fighting, pushing and shoving, and 'showing your manhood' on the field, why not just stomp the other team out on the scoreboard". To me that's a better alternative than risking getting thrown out of a game (along with the notion of continuing to be aggressive an not changing your offense or your defense too much). 

Anyway, the next game is tomorrow, no need to talk about last weeks too much [more]. 

Posted · Report post

It definitely felt different in the stadium Sunday. First of all, there were not many Rams fans there. Crowd was more spirited and there seemed to be more interaction with the players. When Cam ran around firing up the crowd, then point to the turf...it was awesome. He was so fired up. Loved it!!!!!!

I mentioned somewhere else...loved the videos made by players which came on the screen when the Rams were on 3rd down....asking the fans to STAND UP and make noise. The first one that appeared was Luke..he said "We need you." The crowd responded.

Next home game....Atlanta, that place should be rocking.

We need some videos of the players doing this on third down.

Posted · Report post

Dave, I was thinking the same thing.  This game really seemed to galvanize the team.  And the fact that the players kept their composure for the most part (not getting stupid penalties) really speaks to the maturity level of the team as a whole.