Photo
- - - - -

Anyone else think our secondary needs to play a lot better?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#16 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,334 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:57 AM

Our secondary will be tested Thursday

#17 panthers04100

panthers04100

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:24 AM

Our secondary will be tested Thursday

by the great mike glennon. All they've got on offense is Vincent Jackson. Can't be that hard to take one guy out of the game when the offense has no other real threats with Doug Martin out now too.

#18 mjligon

mjligon

@mleezy53

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:25 AM

Well the way the Rams offense was playing pussy ball, I'm okay with it.

Our secondary could definitely get better but I'd like to see a little more pressure on a more consistent basis from Hardy and co...and I believe that will happen.

#19 NCstoner420

NCstoner420

Dave's not here man

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:28 AM

Pretty much this.  I can tolerate the occasional dinking and dunking that our team is famous for giving up, but Thomas has been giving up too many long plays especially if you count the plays that get called back because of penalties just get dropped.  Those don't hurt us as much against a team like the Rams, but when we're playing teams like the Saints and Patriots we can't rely on those bailout shortcomings of the opposing teams.

Maybe if the safeties did not jump routes you wouldn't have guys open on long plays. 

#20 CharlottePanther

CharlottePanther

• Stop Making Threads...
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:48 AM

Its a double edged sword going against a team like the Rams with such a weak WR corps because its not as simple as just double covering a great WR. So you get a lot of one on ones. Thats why im looking forward to the Bucs game, its plainly obvious you just have to double Vjax as they dont realy have any other WRs to make plays, their no 2 is on pace for just 495 yds on the season, to put that into perspective, our number 3 WR is on pace for nearly double that amont.

#21 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,530 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:55 AM

We are one shutdown CB away from being elite.

#22 Tarheels23

Tarheels23

Keep Pounding

• HUDDLER
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:22 AM

McDermott blitzed more against the Ram than any other team we've played this year. I don't expect that to continue at that rate, which will help our CB's.

#23 scarface

scarface

• HUDDLER
  • 3,062 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:24 AM

We are one shutdown CB away from being elite.

6a839a0e3ea191289f9a77b5642983b5.png

#24 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,100 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:25 AM

Every aspect and phase of this football team needs to play a lot better.

Unless of course they are not interested in hoisting a Lombardi in the near future.  If thats the case they can stop attempting to improve.

#25 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,637 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:50 AM

by the great mike glennon. All they've got on offense is Vincent Jackson. Can't be that hard to take one guy out of the game when the offense has no other real threats with Doug Martin out now too.

We already lost to one rookie QB this year...

Glennon is a better passer with a better weapon

#26 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,637 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:51 AM

McDermott blitzed more against the Ram than any other team we've played this year. I don't expect that to continue at that rate, which will help our CB's.

True, his game should look more like NY. More emphasis on the front 4 and dropping 7. Still need to blitz the rookie though

#27 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:52 AM

Needs to play better deep, that's about it.  They're covering well in the medium, letting passes short be complete and making the tackle, but they let guys get behind them deep.  Especially Josh Thomas.  Tampa will be taking shots deep with Vincent Jackson early and often so they'd better be ready or it could get ugly.  

#28 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,334 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:58 AM

Have you watched any of Glennon's games? He has been impressive. Penalties and a ton of drops have been the main thing stopping their offense.

If Glennon is comfortable he is a great passer. If we don't have a pass rush he will make every throw accurately.

But if you get him jittery in the pocket he will make bad throws and decisions.

Look, as a UNC fan I have no love for Glennon, but some of you guys may be underselling how good he has looked the last two games.

Hopefully our players and coaches are taking him more seriously than some of our fans.

#29 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:22 AM

Have you watched any of Glennon's games? He has been impressive. Penalties and a ton of drops have been the main thing stopping their offense.

If Glennon is comfortable he is a great passer. If we don't have a pass rush he will make every throw accurately.

But if you get him jittery in the pocket he will make bad throws and decisions.

Look, as a UNC fan I have no love for Glennon, but some of you guys may be underselling how good he has looked the last two games.

Hopefully our players and coaches are taking him more serioiusly than some of our fans.

I highly doubt the Panthers are taking this game lightly.  Rivera said they reviewed tape on Tampa on Thursday before the St. Louis game.  Glennon throws a nice deep ball, the Panthers have no one to match up with Vincent Jackson's size, and they will definitely be taking a lot of deep shots.  The only way the Panthers win this game is to get to the QB and shake him up, make him hear footsteps.  If Glennon gets time to throw this game could get ugly.

#30 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,334 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:42 AM

I highly doubt the Panthers are taking this game lightly. Rivera said they reviewed tape on Tampa on Thursday before the St. Louis game. Glennon throws a nice deep ball, the Panthers have no one to match up with Vincent Jackson's size, and they will definitely be taking a lot of deep shots. The only way the Panthers win this game is to get to the QB and shake him up, make him hear footsteps. If Glennon gets time to throw this game could get ugly.

Agreed. I just watched their last three games and was surprised at how good Glennon looked, especially the last two games. When he is comfortable he is really, really good at all the throws.

Their offense kept getting hit with holding penalties and had a bunch of drops. They could have scored a lot more points if not for self inflicted wounds.

This game is shaping up to be a scary game. If we can get pressure with 4 we will be in great shape. If not we are going to have to blitz often which will leave CBs on an island. Bottom line is we are going to have to have a pass rush or else Glennon will look like an all-pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com