Photo
- - - - -

Blackmon available for trade? EDIT: blackmon suspended for season

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
255 replies to this topic

#253 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:01 PM

Is it always on the individual? I have known people who grew up in a household in which drug and alcohol was so common that they likely had little or no ability to understand the choices they were making. They think of the abuse as normal behavior.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think of addiction as similar to some disease such as cancer. But it can in some cases, be compared to mental diseases.

Btw, regarding Blackmon, listening to his statement made it seem as if he missed a treatment session or something of that sort. If that is the case, then its definitely stupidity on his part.

I 100% agree with you that many addicts grew up in homes where drug and alcohol abuse was prevalent . And, that does make it much more likely that they will in turn amuse drugs. I just don't consider that an illness...I consider it a learned behavior.

I also believe that many who suffer from legit illnesses such as depression, mental illness, etc often turn to drugs to try and cope/escape.

I also understand how hard it is to quit and that most people do need help to kick it...my younger brother has battled drug abuse for nearly 30 years. But, he will also tell you that it us no one's fault but his win for the place where he us.

#254 frash.exe

frash.exe

Freddy Frashbear

HUDDLER

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:02 PM

Reading madhatter apply his default "BOOTSTRAPS" mentality to substance abuse, when there's ample evidence for anybody who knows how to enter a search query on just how complex chemical dependency gets both physiologically and mentally is like watching them try to implement the javelin throw at the special olympics

#255 R0CKnR0LLA

R0CKnR0LLA

Drunk Posting

HUDDLER

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:06 PM

the most basic aspect of an addiction is that it's not a choice. if you could simply say "hey i shouldn't do this anymore, so i'll stop" then it's not really an addiction. plenty of addicts know it's screwing up their life, they want to stop, they TRY to stop, but they can't. outside professional help is usually needed and even then it's not certain that they'll beat it

#256 csx

csx

HUDDLER

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:08 PM

People make some distinction between alcohol and drugs for some reason I will never understand.