16 replies to this topic

#1 Zuck Fod

Zuck Fod

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:03 PM

A couple of years ago I remember the Panthers beating a team that was having a really bad year. If I remember correctly they fired their coach after the game. For the life of me I can't remember who that team was. I believe it was in the John Fox era. Pie to the one who knows the answer.

Thanks in advance. Go Panthers!

#2 jcluther34

jcluther34

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:35 PM

This is the broadest fuging question lmao

Sent from my HTC One using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#3 Chaos

Chaos

A Star is born

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:44 PM

Was it Jim "diddly poo" Mora?

This rant occurred in the tunnels under Bank of America Stadium following a blowout of the Saints.

#4 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Champions are made in the offseason.

• HUDDLER
  • 4,028 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:45 PM

Are you sure it wasn't Raheem Morris and the Bucs?

#5 Zuck Fod

Zuck Fod

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:50 AM

Are you sure it wasn't Raheem Morris and the Bucs?

For some reason I had a feeling it was Tampa. I think this is right! Would be awesome if we did it to them again!

#6 Zuck Fod

Zuck Fod

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:55 AM

For some reason I had a feeling it was Tampa. I think this is right! Would be awesome if we did it to them again!

After further review, it wasn't Morris. He was fired at the end of the season. I swear there was a coach fired after a Carolina ass beating, just can't remember who. Mr Scot, please help!

#7 Zuck Fod

Zuck Fod

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:58 AM

This rant occurred in the tunnels under Bank of America Stadium following a blowout of the Saints.

I totally forgot about this, not the one I'm thinking of. But yes, mora resigned after a 16-7 beating by the panthers in 1996. The one I'm think of happened in that last 4 years.

#8 xlightsoutx

xlightsoutx

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • 5,349 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:59 AM

One thing the NFL is missing recently, and maybe I just haven't seen them since I don't watch ESPN as much as I used to, is these types of candid rants after bad losses. I remember the Dennis Green rant after the Cards lost to the Bears. Or Keyshawn Johnson in 1999. Or Bill Callahan angrily apologizing for how much the Raiders sucked after a loss. I want more of those.

On topic, I believe it was Morris who got fired after a loss to us. Can't recall exactly, but I know it did happen once before.

#9 Corporal Casto

Corporal Casto

Noob Member

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationQueen City

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:59 AM

Didn't we finish off Chucky, too?

#10 RelaxImaPro

RelaxImaPro

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:52 AM

Jon Gruden on MNF.

#11 Zuck Fod

Zuck Fod

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:07 AM

Jon Gruden on MNF.

Wasn't him, he got fired on January 16 2009. But the last time we played Gruden was that epic ( yes epic is deserved here) Monday night game at home, where we kicked the poo out of the bucks and I almost got arrested for being to loud in my apartment.

#12 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 34,618 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:18 AM

After further review, it wasn't Morris. He was fired at the end of the season. I swear there was a coach fired after a Carolina ass beating, just can't remember who. Mr Scot, please help!

Mora is the first name that springs to mind, but I have a vague memory there may have been another.

Let me do some digging.

#13 Zuck Fod

Zuck Fod

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:20 AM

Much appreciated. I still can't figure it out, it's driving me nuts. I'm starting to wonder if i just made up this vague memory.

#14 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

Resident Gator Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 5,245 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:39 AM

Probably thinking of Morris. I know he was fired when the season ended, but there were screams for his head after we beat them so badly both games that season, including the game two weeks before he was fired.

#15 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 34,618 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:13 AM

Found a couple of articles about midseason firings and cross checked against Panthers seasons.

While I couldn't find any of those coming directly after losses to the Panthers, a few - Jack Del Rio, Mike Singletary, Bobby Petrino, Steve Mariucci and Dennis Green - came later in the year after losses to us (to be clear, Petrino split with us that season).  Back in the 2003 season, Falcons coach Dan Reeves quit right after their second game against us, but the Falcons won that one, sending Reeves off into the sunset with a victory.

Jon Gruden was fired after that hard fought loss to us on Monday Night in 2008, but it wasn't until after the season ended.  And as has been mentioned, Raheem Morris was fired at season's end after having been blown out 48-16 by the Panthers in the second to last week of the season.  Falcons coach Jim Mora was also fired post-season 2006 after a penultimate loss to the Panthers, but it wasn't a blowout (10-3).

And of course, in the early days, there was Jim Mora.  Though Mora wasn't the only coach to embarrass himself after losing to the young Panthers team.  Then Cardinals coach Buddy Ryan lost in embarrassing fashion (27-7) after claiming the Panthers stole their defensive ideas from him; a statement which drew extended laughter from Panthers Coach Dom Capers (Capers was a student of Dick LeBeau's zone blitz, not Ryan's 46).  At game's end, Ryan was caught on camera leaving the field without shaking the hand of Capers.  If memory serves, the game might not even have been fully over yet :lol:

Sorry I couldn't find your answer, but hope something in here helps.  Links to a couple of helpful articles below:

A History Lesson on the Impact of Midseason NFL Coaching Changes

What Recent History Tells Us About Mid-Season Coaching Changes In The NFL

Midseason Coach Firings are Last Resort for NFL Decision-Makers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.