So my fiance works for Hanesbrands, which is a big sponsor of the Bobcats. Her coworker bought a table at the My Hero gala which is a big annual community giveback event the Bobcats host. We were invited last minute so of course we jumped at the chance to go. It was a fancy black tie event, open bar, steak and lobster meal with the whole Bobcats team and MJ in attendance.
I had never done anything like that before so it was a really cool experience. Turns out we (Hanes) also ponied up enough to have a player sit at our table. I didn't know who it would be until he was introduced and escorted to sit three seats from me.
As the title suggests, it was Cody Zeller. If I could have picked anyone, it probably would have been him so I was very pumped, plus we had been drinking premium open bar drinks for the past hour and half. I couldn't stop smiling.
Anyway, he is a super nice kid, totally down to earth. He said he had only been in Charlotte about two months but he liked it so far. He said he's from a small town in Indiana so he likes that Charlotte isn't a "big city" compared to a city like Chicago or New York.
Some other things of note: I asked if it's cool having Jordan as owner, he said MJ hasn't been around too much so it's not a big deal
- no matter how much he eats he can't put on weight like he wants too
- they played NY the final preseason game, he said Meta World Peace guarded him and was very strong. Said that was the biggest difference from college, the strength of the players. He said it was really cool to play in MSG.
- he asked the girl next to him how to eat the lobster lol
- Bismack really didn't seem that big, I guess it's his long arms that make him stand out
- McRoberts was taller than I thought but really skinny
- Brendan Haywood was on crutches, said he hoped to be back by February
- Jordan walked right past our table on the way to his seat. He seemed to be having a good time throughout the night. He gave a little speech and then remarked "I didn't even have to look at my notes." The consummate competitor.