Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zac Stacy is an example of how poorly managed our Rb contracts are.

90 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Is more of an example of getting lucky in the draft.

Posted · Report post

Title.

The dude is a 5th round pick with almost 125yards against the seahawks. With players like him in the draft, there is literally no reason we should keep paying either DWill OR JStew.

I was thinking the same thing as I was watching the games last night. What also seems to be frustrating is the fact that Stacey has a nice burst. His vision is equivalent to D Will with quicker acceleration.

In other words he will probably be a better back by next year. All he needs is more carries to perfect his craft.

Sports writers should remain sports writers .....

Posted · Report post

Should we mention that San Fran and Seattle both have highly paid running backs?

How many highly paid running backs?

We have two.

Posted · Report post

Yes, they have one highly paid featured RB. Which is a normal way of doing things unlike Carolina

How many highly paid running backs?

We have two.

I understand that and agree.  The point of the OP was that we should pay neither Williams nor Stewart because a 5th round draft pick had a good game.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Is more of an example of getting lucky in the draft.

Seriously this. I bet teams with really shitty overpaid DTs are looking at us and droooooling. (oh wait that was us last year)

Posted · Report post

they deserved there money DWill just out of his prime and Stewart was supposed to be doing for us what Lacy doing for Green Bay he's just never healthy.

But barner/tolbert is the future

This barner talk needs to br toned down by 12. What has he shown in any game that makes you think he's the future?. He was a sixth round pick who more than likely won't be on the team in 2 years. The team is just as likely to take a rb next year and dumb him. All draft picks aren't long term investments. Some are like rentals.

Tolbert is a solid between the tackles runner but I dout he's the future. The future at rb probably isn't on the roster.

Posted · Report post

hell any rookie rb contract even if its a first is better

TRUUU

Posted · Report post

I think it's more simple than people make it out to be.  I trust Gettleman to sort the $$ out but just looking at the team, it's obvious DeAngelo still has it and Tolbert is a great change of pace bowling ball to have.  We could use that formidable scat-back and we are taking a shot with Barner.  Stewart is expendable and RBs aren't worth a lot anymore.

If they don't like Barner, an indicator will be going RB in the 4th-7th round next year.  I'm cool with whatever because DeAngelo is still doing well and Tolbert is a major asset to this offense.  

Given how Williams has been used in his career and what it looks like, he's relatively durable and is still kicking.  I'm not trying to draw comparisons but he's in some areas Tiki-like.  

Posted · Report post

Title.

The dude is a 5th round pick with almost 125yards against the seahawks. With players like him in the draft, there is literally no reason we should keep paying either DWill OR JStew.

Absolutely true.

Which is why I laughed my ass off when the Falcan'ts signed Steven Jackson to a 2 year deal last offseason rather than another quality OL or DL.

I laaaaaaaughed! :lol:

Posted · Report post

I understand that and agree.  The point of the OP was that we should pay neither Williams nor Stewart because a 5th round draft pick had a good game.

I didn't get that from the op's post. I took from it that there is talent to be found all over the draft at running back. If you can develop a way to find it and develop it there isn't much of a need to invest highly in the position in either the draft or in contracts later on in their careers.

Posted · Report post

I didn't get that from the op's post. I took from it that there is talent to be found all over the draft at running back. If you can develop a way to find it and develop it there isn't much of a need to invest highly in the position in either the draft or in contracts later on in their careers.

So you didn't take the fact that he said we shouldn't be "paying D-Will or J-Stew" as him saying we shouldn't pay either?

I mean, other than the fact that is literally what he said...

For every Arian Foster, Morris, or Stacy there is about 100 other late round RBs that suck.

Nearly every good team in the NFL have very good RBs.

I agree with our new offense we shouldn't pay both, but you need good RBs to compete, and I don't believe in a plug and play will work unless you have a top 3 QB.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I am not including Stewart since he is a free agent after this year.

Um, he's under contract through 2017.

• Masters of PIE !

• Recent Comments