Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WR, CB, and O Line projected to be deepest positions in next draft according to NFL Execs

54 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

WR class will not turn out to be deep, in my opinion. Better get one early.

Posted · Report post

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000273758/article/ask-5-which-position-will-be-deepest-in-2014-nfl-draft

So... did the chips just happen to fortunately fall this way, or is this some good foresight on the part of Gettleman and our scouting department?

A lot of people bitched about not addressing any of those positions (aside from a project in Kugbila) last draft.  Well, it's by most accounts a deep ass draft at all three positions next year.

Gettlemagic.

Thanks for finding this and posting---I thought we were very fortunate this year.   What I have noticed is DT is not very strong in this draft and we took 2 last year, but I have stated WR and CB were loaded (based on websites that claim to know)  I think you may be on to something...we are not used to vision and planning around here, we are used to desperation picks when the cupboard is bare (Fua, McClain).

Another interesting fact:  DT is one of the positions that has the highest percentage of busts.  While Star and Short have a ways to go, I think it is safe to assume that they are going to be solid.  Good scouting.  Ted Ginn was a bust for 2 teams.  Good eye.  Did Gettlemen know that Munnerlyn and Edwards would come crawling back in free agency?  Hurney would have overpaid for both.

Gettlemagic.

Posted · Report post

Just cause they say it's so (the media, so called NFL execs), doesn't make it true for a multiplicity of reasons (injuries, new/better players emerge, players get downgraded, players don't pan out in NFL, etc.). 

Nonetheless, the Panthers just need to find THEIR OWN STUD WR, OL-Man, and CB, that's all. 

Let's hope they do!!

Posted · Report post

WR class will not turn out to be deep, in my opinion. Better get one early.

Many times the OLmen are rated high until they are measured at the combine and have 32" arms.  Remember last year?  About 3 or 4 top tackles actually had 32" arms (in that area) and it caused them to drop.

As for WR, I thought last year's group sucked.  The combine usually boosts the stock of some faster WRs unjustly.  Tavon Austin, Stephen Hill, Cordarrellle Patterson, etc.  I am tired of WRs that drop too many passes.  

I think we add a WR, but it will be later.  The team likes Lafell (more than I do, but we don't appreciate WR blocking like the coaches do). I think we re-sign Ted Ginn.  I also think they will attempt to develop King and or McNutt. 

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

It boils down to who is better when we reach our pick.   OT or WR.   Our hopes are we make the playoffs.  Making the playoffs means we are 23 through 32.

So most of the can't miss players are gone.   It will be Gettleman and his staff to draft without error.  Last year was pretty solid considering we were without our #3 pick.

I am happy our two most important need areas are strengths in this draft.

The biggest thing IMO is accuracy.  Making sure every pick is solid enough to make the team or practice squad (if 6th or 7th round pick)

Posted · Report post

I honestly wouldn't mind another double-down next draft, this time on WR.

I would throw my remote through the tv screen if we used both our 1st and second rounder on a WR. 

We need some OL help and in a bad way. 

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

I would throw my remote through the tv screen if we used both our 1st and second rounder on a WR.

We need some OL help and in a bad way.

Yeah, if we double down on anything, it should be OL.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Check and mate.

Posted · Report post

WR, OT, CB. In that order.

CB, OT, WR

Posted · Report post

Wow, that's right up our alley.

We're probably going to be very happy around April

Posted · Report post

Too bad we have to pick at the very end of every round!!!!!

Some one had to say it...

Posted · Report post

OT, OT, WR, CB, OT OT, CB

Gross retiring + Byron Bell = OT, OT,

1 person likes this