#61 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:43 PM

Calvin Johnson is a freak. Peppers was a freak.

And Willis is considered a freak. If that's so, then so is Kuechly. So is Davis. Hell, Stewart is considered freakish too.

#62 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:34 PM

As others have pointed out, the things that makes Kuechly a freak are his instincts and reaction time.

And as to combine numbers vs. athleticism, Luck's numbers may be pretty much the same as Cam's, but that doesn't mean he is even on the same plane as Newton when it comes to open field running.  Luck is a good runner. Cam is a great runner.

#63 beastson

beastson

Cam

• HUDDLER
  • 9,040 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:43 PM

I like to say, S.S having a higher vertical than Cam is freakish. A 5'9 receiver with a 39 inch vertical? Sick

#64 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,279 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:08 PM

As others have pointed out, the things that makes Kuechly a freak are his instincts and reaction time.

And as to combine numbers vs. athleticism, Luck's numbers may be pretty much the same as Cam's, but that doesn't mean he is even on the same plane as Newton when it comes to open field running. Luck is a good runner. Cam is a great runner.

Good point with the Luck vs Newton. At the combine they measure up pretty equal.....on a football field Newton shows he more athletic. Not that Luck isn't but Newton is special in that regard

#65 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:11 PM

I like to say, S.S having a higher vertical than Cam is freakish. A 5'9 receiver with a 39 inch vertical? Sick

Height has nothing to do with your vertical.

#66 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,572 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:17 PM

Nope and one thing Smitty definitely has is lower body explosion.

#67 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,652 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:20 PM

And as to combine numbers vs. athleticism, Luck's numbers may be pretty much the same as Cam's, but that doesn't mean he is even on the same plane as Newton when it comes to open field running. Luck is a good runner. Cam is a great runner.

While Luck's combine numbers were neck-to-neck with Newton's, I don't think anybody viewed Andrew as athletically gifted as Cam simply because the on-the-field results told a different story.

However, if anyone believes Kuechly to be a "Andrew Luck" in terms of athleticism, then they haven't seen the man play at all. Luke has outstanding sideline-to-sideline speed and agility for a linebacker, and covers TEs, RBs and WRs in coverage. He does what Willis does and then some.

#68 beastson

beastson

Cam

• HUDDLER
  • 9,040 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:26 PM

I know that, but how many 5'9 people you see can dunk a basketball?

#69 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,572 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:32 PM

Spud Webb is one of my all time favorites athletes.

#70 Beast_3000

Beast_3000

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:31 AM

Good point with the Luck vs Newton. At the combine they measure up pretty equal.....on a football field Newton shows he more athletic. Not that Luck isn't but Newton is special in that regard

I agree, I think Luck moves around in the pocket better right now though. I think Cam will continue to improve in that area. Luck has a few years more years experience against adequate competition .

#71 dksmith17

dksmith17

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:11 AM

Luke's athleticism is under appreciated in this thread in general

He has elite explosiveness and closing speed.

If you just watch the ball like most fans do it is not as apparent because hetends to wrap up when he tackles rather than hit. If you watch every snap from the LBs view it is apparent.

#72 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,329 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:59 AM

TD was the best LB I think we'd ever had with his athleticism, speed, and hard hitting.  Couple of TD's hits have actually put people out of the NFL permanently.  Sucks I know...but the kid from Green Bay that he exposed his spinal issue...that was post-TD hit on a kickoff return.  TD was used so much in the wrong way when he started here due to the lack of talent in other positions.  He's in the perfect spot now.  Then along comes Keek.  He's deceivingly athletic due to the way he moves.  It's the smoothness that disguises his power.  Some guys can bring it but look a bit out of control doing it.  Not Keek.  Just watch the Sports Science bit on him his draft year.  I was sold.  Willis got a lot of accolades based on his build and quickness.  Two inches shorter yet same weight.  Willis is a stump.  Keek doesn't look like that build.  He's actually got a neck.  Again...makes his athleticism deceiving. 

We're very fortunate to have TD/Keek on the same squad.  We just need to solidify that third LB spot and maybe some upgrades in the secondary and our D will be even better than it already is. 

#73 Kyle82

Kyle82

• HUDDLER
  • 3,821 posts
  • LocationRock Hill SC

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:02 AM

Awesome article in this weeks Sports Illustrated on Keek!!

#74 MichaelNewtonII

MichaelNewtonII

DRAFT JULIUS RANDLE

• HUDDLER
  • 3,155 posts
  • LocationESPN Studios

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:08 AM

Cam is the definition of a physical freak.

Cam Newton or Calvin Johnson is the NFLs "LeBron James" physical specimen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.