76 replies to this topic

#46 twylyght

twylyght

The picture of how I care

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:57 PM

No because you're just being dumb now. You can't by definition be a social liberal unless you adhere to social liberalism

Social liberalism as it is used in conversation today is an anathema to actual liberty

#47 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,383 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:58 PM

Your personal definition of liberty.....perhaps

#48 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 5,027 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:59 PM

I get it... we need to trust our benevolent overlords to make us do what is right

I suppose in the same way that you expect the rest of the country to think you would do what is right.

#49 twylyght

twylyght

• HUDDLER
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:00 PM

I suppose in the same way that you expect the rest of the country to think you would do what is right.

Likely the hardest part about liberty is respectiing one's rights irrespective of morality. 

There is no such thing as faith by the sword. Faith is an act of conscience on the basis of one's owns faculties where capitulance in the face of threat/force is nothing more than a realized act of power of one's will over another.

#50 twylyght

twylyght

• HUDDLER
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:01 PM

Your personal definition of liberty.....perhaps

Feel free to explain how taking someone else's property on your own behalf qualifies as charity and not theft?

#51 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,383 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:07 PM

Feel free to explain how taking someone else's property on your own behalf qualifies as charity and not theft?

Go earn your living in Liberia and tell what would have been easier

#52 twylyght

twylyght

• HUDDLER
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:34 PM

Go earn your living in Liberia and tell what would have been easier

The reason your not giving an answer is because you have none

#53 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,383 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:39 PM

You earned all of it fair and square....here in the states. Sorry but one of the factors in your wealth is where you live....pay up

#54 twylyght

twylyght

• HUDDLER
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:49 PM

You earned all of it fair and square....here in the states. Sorry but one of the factors in your wealth is where you live....pay up

You trust government to right that wrong? As for myself.... Ever heard of KIVA? Oh yeah... I'm fiscally conservative, so I can't support something like that

#55 mav1234

mav1234

• ALL-PRO
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:13 PM

It is about interpretation.

Fiscally Conservative and Socially Liberal basically, to most people that use it, means that they don't want money wasted on stuff like war, politician salaries, private jets, vacations, parties, abusers of social programs, etc. while at the same time actually using money towards social programs that help the people that actually need it.

I don't like tax dollars wasted on career welfare folks that are capable of working and contributing to society but don't do so. I also don't like tax dollars wasted on political staff raises and wars when it could go to helping people that have fell on some hard times and need a pick-me-up from the rest of the country.

To me, that sounds kinda fiscally conservative (saving money each year by not wasting it on crap that isn't needed) and socially liberal (helping people that need help).

This is generally how I view myself but I also think that fiscally conservative vs liberal relates to how the government should handle things like spending in a depression or what not.  I'm pretty much a Keynesian, so I don't think I really fit calling myself a fiscal conservative at all :P

#56 mav1234

mav1234

• ALL-PRO
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:15 PM

You cannot believe in small govt/spending less and at the same time support large scale social programs

This isn't true - at least the "spending less" part.  Social programs aren't the only place government money goes.

#57 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,720 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:25 PM

He never does

#58 PhillyB

PhillyB

hari kari for amari

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,863 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:29 PM

i support a sustainable level of social egalitarianism - nationally and internationally - through political and economic means

#59 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 16,017 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:05 PM

How can you be one and not the other? So you believe that the govt should be heavily involved in things like healthcare, poverty, and education ....if you don't then you are not a social conservative. If do beleive in that then you are going to spend some money and therefore you are not a fiscal conservative.

I believe some of those are more fiscal conservativism on spending. But I believe in fiscal restraint, but that doesn't mean I am against spending on the poor.

I was more referring to things like gay marriage, gun rights, abortion, and other areas that cancer overreaching of theology by elected officials.

#60 Saxist Fed

Saxist Fed

halt the tomfoolery

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Locationthe.black.lodge

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:36 PM

fun thread

Me:

-Croatian male model

L--------------right here-M---------------R

Conservative when it comes to policy with social implications as in: conserve your energy and don't implement sh*t about what you think a population believes in.

I think the economic situation is more internally fixable than we think and need to wise the f*ck up.  

No party affiliation

Raised Catholic, now just meandering around various principles on goodness

Science, innovation and technology drives life as it is.  Don't abandon it but know how to pace yourself.  Moderation is key with EVERYTHING

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com