Photo
- - - - -

Tolbert Provides Options

Carolina Panthers Mike Tolbert NFL

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#37 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

SUPPORTER

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:27 PM

We are now known for our QB....

...who just happens to be a pretty decent threat as rusher.

#38 sanjay_rajput

sanjay_rajput

HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:46 PM

We are now known for our QB....

Every good team is going to be know for their QB ....... i was talking in  terms of skill players surrounding  a QB in a team.

Green Bay - WR - Cobb, Nelson, 

ATL- WR     - White, Julio, Gonzales

Lions- WR - Megatron 

#39 The Other Colbert

The Other Colbert

new

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:54 PM

This may be an unpopular opinion:

However, I believe the best move would be to cut Williams after the season is over. Recognizing that Stewart, Tolbert and Barner are the the future rushing core of this team.

#40 mbarbour21

mbarbour21

HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:09 PM

However, I believe the best move would be to cut Williams after the season is over. Recognizing that Stewart, Tolbert and Barner are the the future rushing core of this team.

Yeh, it's def the move that make sense.

#41 mav1234

mav1234

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:16 PM

let's wait to see if Stewart can stay healthy.

because you may be making our rushing core Tolbert and Barner with that move...

frankly I'd rather keep DWill since I feel he's proven he can stay healthy and work within the offense we are running.  I think Stew will fit in fine too but I worry about his health.

#42 Matthias

Matthias

HUDDLER

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:20 PM

I say keep all our backs for now.  Stew's most expensive years are after the 2015 season.  Release him then, or restructure his contract then.

#43 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:25 PM

I say keep all our backs for now. Stew's most expensive years are after the 2015 season. Release him then, or restructure his contract then.

Too expensive. got to start parting ways soon

#44 Matthias

Matthias

HUDDLER

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:27 PM

Too expensive. got to start parting ways soon

I always thought the sooner you cut a man, the more money you have to pay him up front.

#45 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:29 PM

I always thought the sooner you cut a man, the more money you have to pay him up front.

All about cap space. You can part with them, create dead money......but the available cap space to spend on other parts of the team can make it worth it.

#46 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

HUDDLER

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:31 PM

Tolbert may be one of the best offensive FA acquisitions this team has made in some time.

That being said, Williams will be gone after this season.

Next year's backs will be Tolbert, Stewart and Barner.

In 2015, Stewart will be gone and Tolbert and Barner will share the backfield with another youngster.

Keep in mind Tolbert is only 27 and doesn't turn 28 until the end of November, so he'll be around for at least 3 more seasons.

#47 Frank Hollywood

Frank Hollywood

Ultimate Troll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:57 PM

All about cap space. You can part with them, create dead money......but the available cap space to spend on other parts of the team can make it worth it.

We LOSE cap space if we cut Stewart before 2015. We are stuck with Stewart AND Williams through 2014. Nothing to gain.

#48 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:37 PM

How Stewart performs during the second half of the year will probably have a lot to do with it.  He is a combination of Williams and Tolbert, speed and power.  If he can stay healthy and gets back to form, it will be a tough call.  Dwill has been a workhorse for us. 

Hurney made it inevitable when he signed both to big extensions.  That's too much money tied-up in one position. 

It wasn't long ago that the Panthers were rumored to be shopping Williams, but that was under Hurney.

IMO, the reason Stewy got the PUP was just this scenario. They new he was going to be here long term, so let him heal. Then ease him back in. Whether that was this year, or next, nobody knew back then. They took a chance on PUP, and it worked out well, imagine that, for them.

Stewy got to heal, now he gets to test it out. They know he is close to 100%, and that he probably could play. What theydon't know is how his ankles will respond once he does play. This weekend is big for Stewy.

The right offer comes around. Who knows? Gettlemen seems to be willing to put some effort into upgrading the team. Anyting is possible.

The issue is we are likely tied to this trio of running backs and a duo of rough contracts for the next couple of years.

Ding. Ding. Ding a ling.

The way I see it, Stewart and Tolbert will be our starters next season. Barner still needs more development and Williams will likely be cut due to age and cap. Seriously, Stewart is impossible to get rid of but he's a freak even when injured and his running style is more attractive to G-Man over D-Will's. Prior to last season, he hadn't missed significant time so I'm sticking with my belief that J-Stew will be a Panther for awhile.

DWill just may be a Panther next year. One positive about DWill and Stewy. They allow us to draft around the RB position. Well...at least at picks near the top. You know what I mean. Extra picks for other spots, because we don't need to draft a RB.

One more draft before we have to start to worry over replacing Stewy.

If I were the GM, I would not have a RB on a second contract, unless AP was that RB. I would invest the savings in the OL.

Not a bad philosophy to live by. Got to be selective with those 2nd contracts.