Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anybodyhome

New Global Warming Report

48 posts in this topic

So you an anarchist?

No, I'm not an anarchist. I believe government has a legitimate function. Forcing one groups morality on any individual, is not one of those legitimate functions. Government should only exist to protect the natural rights of it's citizens.
1 person likes this

Is abortion a natural right? Or a moral decision?

Is abortion a natural right? Or a moral decision?

funny how a global warming thread turns into an abortion discussion. It's a moral decision. At some point the child does gains the natural right to life. At what point? I will leave that to doctors. I lack the education or expertise to make those choices.

But some doctors use their religious or philosophical outlook to base this decision on which may contridict other doctors opinions.

At some point a legal decision has to be made. One group will decide that it's right, another will think there's a gun being held to it's head over a moral judgement call.

This is the point I am making, Abortion is just a very easy topic to show how this works.

But some doctors use their religious or philosophical outlook to base this decision on which may contridict other doctors opinions.

At some point a legal decision has to be made. One group will decide that it's right, another will think there's a gun being held to it's head over a moral judgement call.

This is the point I am making, Abortion is just a very easy topic to show how this works.

good point. OK then...no abortion restrictions. I would rather convince someone that my morality is correct, rather than force my opinion on anyone.

That makes sense from a logical/libertarian standpoint, but in reality there are plenty of libertarians who consider abortion a moral evil and exempt from adult decision making. This is the essence of politics today to me, the push and pull of emotional responses to logical issues.

I blame global warming on an ever expanding sun.  Sun gets bigger, gravitational pull increases, earth gets closer to sun, earth gets warmer, easy!

tell the sun to stop growing - problem solved.

1 person likes this

Just as science does not have the information to determine when human life begins and/or ends, it does not have the requisite information to determine mankind's role in the earth's climate. As such, it cannot be ethically used to dictate policy on either issue. As climate science has yet to produce a viable predictive model to account for the requisite variance, to believe the punditry that man is causing what is claimed amounts to little more than religious zealotry. Hence the ethical evil of imposing one's morality on everyone else is a very apt comparison if you wish to make that with abortion law.

1 person likes this

Just as science does not have the information to determine when human life begins and/or ends, it does not have the requisite information to determine mankind's role in the earth's climate. As such, it cannot be ethically used to dictate policy on either issue. As climate science has yet to produce a viable predictive model to account for the requisite variance, to believe the punditry that man is causing what is claimed amounts to little more than religious zealotry. Hence the ethical evil of imposing one's morality on everyone else is a very apt comparison if you wish to make that with abortion law.

also, when money and politics are involved we all should cast a skeptical eye on their actions.
1 person likes this

Approximately 95 percent of the people that study this stuff for a living say you are full of poo. And science is not morality. It's science.