Photo
- - - - -

What Would You Do? (Obnoxious/Weird Neighbor Situation)

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#16 Doyle

Doyle

Headed to the county line

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,030 posts
  • LocationRiverboat Rivera

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:39 PM

Ugh...
I had a neighbor like that once. I wish I had just talked to him about his weirdness. Instead, I let him take me to my breaking point and I went off on him. I didn't hit him or anything, I just verbally assaulted him to the point he literally pissed himself. He eventually divorced and moved away. I never had a problem with him after our "chat".

I don't recommend that approach. I like neighborhoods to have a positive vibe. Mine definitely didn't for a while. Felt more awkward than having him inserting himself everywhere.

I hate to say it but this is about your only answer, or to move.  You must be very blunt and direct and make sure he knows you don't like his little snide remarks in front of your wife.  The whole let him down gently over a beer approach will not work.  People like this can't take a hint which is why you are in the situation to begin with.  I had a really bad neighbor like this once and unfortunately the only thing that solved the problem was moving. 

Or you can just burn his house down.

#17 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,343 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:47 PM

Let's do a Huddle Tailgate for an away game out your house.....

That'll be enough to get half the neighborhood to move away.

#18 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,781 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:49 PM

I hate to say it but this is about your only answer, or to move.  You must be very blunt and direct and make sure he knows you don't like his little snide remarks in front of your wife.  The whole let him down gently over a beer approach will not work.  People like this can't take a hint which is why you are in the situation to begin with.  I had a really bad neighbor like this once and unfortunately the only thing that solved the problem was moving. 

Or you can just burn his house down.

Yeah, I've tried every approach except for being direct about his behavior.  I've even been complimented on how diplomatic I am in direct situations before, but, there really isn't a good way to tell someone, "chill out.  you're creepy and acting like John Wayne Gacy."

It's just been crazy.  My mom came and visited for a week not long ago and I had told her about it before, but she just kind of shrugged it off.  Then, after she came and stayed that week, she was scared to go outside by herself.  She'd go out and smoke and he'd come out and smoke and watch her.  LOL.  Dude is weird.

I tried to kind of give him what he was looking for before, so I sat out a few times and talked with him in the street for an hour or so a few different times...  The longer I talked with him, the more normal he would seem.  But, then the next day, he'd be right back to the same creepy, crazy, stalker-type stuff.

#19 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,596 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:43 PM

Stupid motherfugin' cable guys.

#20 Kitten Diver

Kitten Diver

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:45 PM

I don't appreciate your tone.. Steve. Friends aren't supposed to talk to each other that way...

#21 SZ James

SZ James

herd it on routers

• HUDDLER
  • 7,577 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:00 PM

Just show me him your penis and get it over with

#22 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,457 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:17 PM

Burn his house down.

#23 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,781 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:28 PM

All good ideas.

#24 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,457 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:38 PM

He could just be a try to hard guy and nothing is wrong.

He could also be smelling your dryer vent exhaust outside.

#25 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• HUDDLER
  • 8,248 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:30 PM

You gotta be blunt...if you are scared to go outside your home (a place you should be most comfortable/relaxed) then you gotta do something about it. i would even possibly notify authorities if you feel threatened or he might do something crazy That is some downright creepy poo. I would have said sonething the first time I noticed that.

Dont put up with that bs....maybe try having your wife talk to his wife if possible first

#26 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,019 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:02 PM

I would have a sit down with him.

Write down a few of the things that he has said, and repeat them and explain why something like that makes you feel weird, and your wife scared to let the kids play in the yard.  Tell him that you have seen him staring at your Mom while she smokes and peeking through the windows too often

I would also let him know that we aren't friends, neighbors, and that's it.

Give him time to explain his side, and if it doesn't pass the sniff test...burn his house down.

#27 Jakob

Jakob

never conquered rarely came

• Stop Making Threads...
  • 3,773 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:12 PM

poo on his doorstep. But seriously, I have three neighbors like this, I ignore them or beat them their own game.

#28 SteveSmithOwns

SteveSmithOwns

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:48 PM

Keep on calling the cops on him. Eventually he will think the cops are after him and his family and move away. I'm currently trying to do that to one of my neighbors......

#29 mr beauxjangles

mr beauxjangles

Large Member

• HUDDLER
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:27 PM

I get the sense that you are a bit non-confrontational by nature (I am) but you especially don't look forward to confronting this guy that's been kind of a creeper.

So you say that he always comes out of his house when you walk outside, and you've noticed him looking out his window for extended periods. Why don't you bring this up to him in the following way:

"Dude, this may sound strange and please don't take offense, but I've noticed that you look out your window a lot and you often come outside when other neighbors are outside, including me and my wife. Is there some sketchy crap going on in our neighborhood that you haven't told me about? I have kids and let them run around outside - it seems like you're on the lookout for something."

Presumably he'll say "no, nothing sketchy" but he'll be forced to explain his behavior. Bringing it up this way is essentially asking for that explanation in a no-so-confrontational way, while making it known that you've observed his creepy behavior.

You can chime in with: "I don't want to throw any of the other neighbors under the bus, but some of them have mentioned that it kind of creeps them out and they're wondering what's up."

So...you bring it to his attention that he's being creepy (which may be all that it'll take for him to be self-conscious and get the memo) and you do it in a way that makes it seem like you're kind of doing him a favor rather than confronting him. I don't know...this could be a terrible idea. Just a thought that seemed to differ from the other suggested approaches that require you being a bit more direct.

#30 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:28 PM

buy a white bronco and walk around wearing gloves and carrying a knife....real small gloves would be a bonus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.