Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Soooooo Home Depot tweet. Racist? (spoiler: yes, yes it is)

34 posts in this topic

Posted

Meh. I don't see it. Home Depot probably should have used a clown just to be safe, though.

Posted

intentionally racist? probably not

huge blunder given social context? duh

2 people like this

Posted

It says one of these things is NOT like the other

Posted

One isn't wearing a home depot shirt.

Posted

White+people_8d647a_4467744.jpg

Posted

The Honky Messiah? 

Haha, just looking at other articles on the sight.

Posted

The guy that tweeted this is the opposite of racist. He didn't even consider it could be seen as racist by others.He saw three drummers and one in a gorilla costume and thought of a line to put with it. The race of the drummers probably never even entered his mind.  He didn't take into account how racism obsessed and easily offended people are these days.

7 people like this

Posted

I wonder who is behind the mask and behind the camera? Do we know if they are white or black?

Posted

I'm with Zod here... either the person that tweeted that is the biggest racist ever and didn't give a crap about their job or they literally just didn't even think of the racial aspects of the picture and posted away...

As PhillyB said, obviously in a position like that, you should consider the social aspects of what you post, but I seriously doubt it was done maliciously.

Either way, pretty sure Home Depot has a new person running their twitter account now...

Posted

I wonder who is behind the mask and behind the camera? Do we know if they are white or black?

Gorilla has white hands?

Posted

The guy that tweeted this is the opposite of racist. He didn't even consider it could be seen as racist by others.He saw three drummers and one in a gorilla costume and thought of a line to put with it. The race of the drummers probably never even entered his mind. He didn't take into account how racism obsessed and easily offended people are these days.

That is a good point. I am not trying to suggest that the person who tweeted that was a card carrying member of the KKK. But things can be racist without intent.

My great grandmother who lived in Georgia her whole life, lived to be nearly 100 years old, and was alive near the turn of the last century, would openly call black people n---. She was a sweet old lady that I didnt think was a raging racist. She just grew up when the term was socially acceptable and she didn't know any better.

That didn't make the term less offensive to people.