Photo
- - - - -

Soooooo Home Depot tweet. Racist? (spoiler: yes, yes it is)

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 SZ James

SZ James

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:28 PM

If you saw Tropic Thunder, RDJ was method acting and surgically altered his skin color and constantly tried to act black.

And everyone in the movie hated him for it. It was funny for that reason.

You will find if there's a a reason for doing it, aka satire and social commentary, theres less chance for backlash. See: Spike Lee's Bamboozled. If someone is trying to portray a black person for shits and giggles, that's when people get upset.

#32 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 5,393 posts
  • LocationAlmost where I want to be...

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:56 PM

If you saw Tropic Thunder, RDJ was method acting and surgically altered his skin color and constantly tried to act black.

And everyone in the movie hated him for it. It was funny for that reason.

You will find if there's a a reason for doing it, aka satire and social commentary, theres less chance for backlash. See: Spike Lee's Bamboozled. If someone is trying to portray a black person for shits and giggles, that's when people get upset.

I did not see the movie. So, Downey's character surgically altered his skin color and his character was a white guy trying to be black, is that what you're saying?

And what you're saying about satire and social commentary I get. It's essentially what I was saying about the difference between the true definition of "blackface" and makeup. "Blackface" was a form of racial and stereotypical comedy that made fun of black people. Therefore, when someone uses the term "blackface" it not only addresses the makeup, but also the caricature of a black person and is, therefore racist. Actors back in the day appeared 'in blackface' and also 'did blackface,' which was the performance itself.

I think the media used the term "blackface" incorrectly when they tagged it on Julianne Hough at Halloween. She was simply a white person made up as a character portrayed by a black person. And if the "rule" is that only black people can dress and make up to portray characters that are black, and should a white person do it, it then becomes racist, then I think we've reached a little too far.

Remember the older SNLs when Eddie Murphy did "Buckwheat" from "The Little Rascals?" That was as bitingly satirical as anything I've ever seen on TV, and it was funny. But as much as Eddie Murphy went over the top with it, does that mean the same Buckwheat character is totally off limits if a white comedian tried to pull it off?

My intent here is nothing more than dialog. In case you might be curious about my experiences in these regards, here's a copy of a post from a month or so back... it all took place in 1975.

Upon my return from Southeast Asia when the U.S. Embassy in Saigon was closed down and the last remaining troops and personnel were evacuated, I was subsequently issued orders to Pascagoula, Mississippi to join the crew of a new ship class under construction.

A friend of mine was also issued orders and we decided to travel together from San Diego to Mississippi. Harry was from Owensboro, Kentucky and was truly one of the nicest, most genuine guys I've ever known. Harry loved his rock and roll and loved to smoke the occasional fattie, as did most of us who were in the military in the 70's. Oh yeah, I should also mention Harry is black.

We set out from San Diego in my silver 1972 Chevy Malibu, complete with black vinyl top, Crager 5-spoke mags all around, L60's on the back with a touch of lift and 70's on the front. Of course, the car had California license plates on it. Took a couple days to drive and not long before lunch on day 3 we crossed the Mississippi state line at Vicksburg, reached Jackson on I-20 and headed southeast toward Hattiesburg on SR49. Not 15 minutes on SR49 and a Mississippi trooper pulls us over on a rural stretch of road with nothing in sight. He ordered us out of the car after he approached and asked why I was giving a "N##### a ride," I gave him my license and showed him my military transfer orders, so he knew we were military. He drew his pistol on us and ordered us into the woods no more than 50 yards, took all of our cash and told us he had our names, license plate and car, and if we were to say anything, there'd surely be trouble.

The last couple hours on the road were quiet and we were scared. We never spoke a word about it to anyone for years, Harry and I ended up going in different directions both geographically and career-wise. He went back home to Kentucky and I vowed never to set foot in Mississippi again... but I was ordered back to the same base for the same reason again in 1986. That was 38 years ago... they were taking poo from us back then...

#33 SZ James

SZ James

• HUDDLER
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:21 PM

RDJ's character, yes. That would be like Inception levels of confusion if he changed his skin color irl to method act as a method actor who changed his skin color.

Bamboozled was about a succesful modern day minstrel show. Literally. It has a 6 on imdb and I think it's my most criminally underrated film of all time. So, yeah, there are times when it's okay. I don't think the Halloween thing is one of them though.

#34 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

No please, tell me more about this Amway....sounds promising

• HUDDLER
  • 4,969 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:08 PM

I need to balance this:

White Girls and the Wayans brothers....

David Carridine playing a chinese dude in the beloved Kung Fu.

Eddie Murphy playing a white guy to see what its like on 80's SNL.
http://screen.yahoo....-000000112.html snl skit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.