31 replies to this topic

#16 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:26 AM

Great night of basketball, took the L but definitely fun watching the young guys.

#17 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:19 AM

I was shocked to see that the dookies were out rebounded last night. 

Going to be extremely tough for "one of the most athletic dook teams of all time" when the 3 pointers don't drop and they get pushed around inside. 

#18 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,659 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:42 AM

I was shocked to see that the dookies were out rebounded last night.

Going to be extremely tough for "one of the most athletic dook teams of all time" when the 3 pointers don't drop and they get pushed around inside.

Why were you shocked that they were out rebounded? Davidson out rebounded us, that is going to happen but shooting 50% from the free throw line killed us. We missed the front end 3 times in the first half which killed momentum. Kansas played a good game and deserved to win.

#19 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,328 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:57 AM

Yeah Duke lost for one reason last night. FTs.

Cook/Hood need to step up as well, but free throws killed Duke.

#20 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,659 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:23 AM

Yeah as good as Parker looked I thought it hurt us because Hood kind of lost his aggressiveness and kind of watched Parker and he admitted that much.  I think this new hand check rule has really affected Cook because he can't be aggressive on defense which was his MO.  That being said KU played a really good game and made some tough shots even when we played good defense so they deserve the credit.

#21 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,328 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:11 AM

Kansas has scary good potential with Wiggins/Embeiid/Ellis/Selden.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see last night's matchup again come March or April. 

#22 weyco2000

weyco2000

• HUDDLER
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:30 AM

Kansas has more depth, especially along the front line. Their bench kept them in the game when they got into foul trouble and ended up out scoring Duke's bench 26-15, that's the 11 point difference in the final score.

#23 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,328 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:26 AM

Kansas has more depth, especially along the front line. Their bench kept them in the game when they got into foul trouble and ended up out scoring Duke's bench 26-15, that's the 11 point difference in the final score.

Meh, an 11 point difference doesn't tell the story IMO. It was a 5 point win that got bumped to 11 because of late fouls, the last couple being unnecessary. 

Duke from the Line, 16-28, including missing the front end of multiple 1 and 1's

Kansas, 27-35. Late FT's helped bump that, but there's your 11 point difference as well. 

Kansas essentially had 1 decent scorer from the bench in Mason (15 pts), Duke had Sheed at 13 pts, with only 3 shots being taken by the rest of the bench. No one else topped 5 points for either squad, so it's not like KU's bench set the world on fire. Mason/Embiid coming off the bench though certainly outplayed Duke's, but outside of Sulaimon, K kept his rotation to mainly the starters so it's hard for me to say Duke's bench was outplayed Iwhen K didn't use them nearly as much as Self had to use his. 

#24 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 24,698 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:37 AM

Just my two cents...

I think Duke's downfall will be getting everyone involved.

Down the stretch, Duke's downfall was ball movement. I recall at least three times where Duke settled for one-on-one's (a Parker three and two Sulaimon drives). There was one instance where Rasheed was wide open in the corner, but Parker got tunnel vision and took an ill-advised shot instead of passing. I think Duke has crazy potential, but unless they figure out how to get Sulaimon, Parker, and Hood all involved; they will struggle against teams that can match their talent.

#25 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 24,698 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:47 AM

On a side note, I think Jabari would be a great fit for Charlotte. He has that gamechanger instinct in him where he wants the ball in his hands down the stretch.

He has a lot of Carmelo Anthony in him.

#26 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,328 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:13 PM

On a side note, I think Jabari would be a great fit for Charlotte. He has that gamechanger instinct in him where he wants the ball in his hands down the stretch.

He has a lot of Carmelo Anthony in him.

Watch out, you'll get called out by some new poster around here for saying he's like Carmelo like I did.

Agreed about your thoughts above though. There needs to be some balance found between the 3 studs on Duke. Luckily however, Kansas may be one of only 3 or 4 teams that can cause the matchup problems seen last night.  Jabari is the go to guy without question. But Hood, Cook, Sheed, and even Dawkins (when healthy/if he gets minutes), have to provide offense without forcing things. Interior defense and PG play will determine where this team goes, as I think the rest falls into place. 

#27 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 24,698 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:21 PM

Watch out, you'll get called out by some new poster around here for saying he's like Carmelo like I did.

Agreed about your thoughts above though. There needs to be some balance found between the 3 studs on Duke. Luckily however, Kansas may be one of only 3 or 4 teams that can cause the matchup problems seen last night. Jabari is the go to guy without question. But Hood, Cook, Sheed, and even Dawkins (when healthy/if he gets minutes), have to provide offense without forcing things. Interior defense and PG play will determine where this team goes, as I think the rest falls into place.

Haha no worries.

And I should probably specify that it's not that I don't think Wiggins won't be a superstar but if I got to pick between the two I would go with Jabari.

I read an article on him about how he just wants to be one of the guys and doesn't really care about all the Wiggins vs. Parker or Parker vs. Randle talk.

I think mentally and ability wise he is NBA ready. If he gets a little more meat on his bones, he will be unstoppable.

Athletically I really like Wiggins, he can jump out of the gym and is a great rebounder. Unfortunately, he didn't really showcase his outside game last night as most of his points were in transition or on the drive as where Parker showed his whole arsenal. I'll have to keep watching Wiggins to truly see what his game is like. However, with Parker; he brings everything to the table every night and showed that he can score in a variety of ways last night.

#28 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,328 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:25 PM

They're both shy kids it seems. Jabari just has more confidence in his abilities RIGHT NOW IMO. Wiggins seems scared to attack at times, but when he does, he's got All-Star potential.

Jabari is the Melo/Pierce type guy while Wiggins is T-Mac for me. Neither will be busts IMO, but Jabari is the safer guy while Wiggins has more potential. Granted, his potential doesn't outweigh Parker's nearly as much as some believed. 

#29 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,659 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:41 PM

Just my two cents...

I think Duke's downfall will be getting everyone involved.

Down the stretch, Duke's downfall was ball movement. I recall at least three times where Duke settled for one-on-one's (a Parker three and two Sulaimon drives). There was one instance where Rasheed was wide open in the corner, but Parker got tunnel vision and took an ill-advised shot instead of passing. I think Duke has crazy potential, but unless they figure out how to get Sulaimon, Parker, and Hood all involved; they will struggle against teams that can match their talent.

I agree and that was one of the things that worried me was Parker being "at home" and going against Wiggins and trying to put on a show instead of playing a team game.  Parker took some ill advised shots in the second half, like you said, when he should have kept the ball moving.  We need Sheed to get back to 100% so he can start, I am not a big fan of the 2 point guard starting lineup.  

#30 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 24,698 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:45 PM

Hopefully we get to see Duke-Kansas 2.0.

That was a fun game and the score wasn't indicative of how the game was played.

I think Duke vs. KU could be the NCAA championship game this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com