• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,631 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:04 PM

Screw the NCAA and all their bullsh*t. I don't believe for one effing second that a kid that qualified the first time on his SAT had worse academic standing than some of the guys that are actually getting to enroll next year. Some of these kids can't even form a sentence and they are going to college next year and this kid can't because he didn't attend a diploma factory...This is freaking ridiculous and an absolute double standard if you ask me.

#2 Falcons1stPanthers2nd

Falcons1stPanthers2nd

• HUDDLER
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:59 AM

poo happens. Get used to it.

#3 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 08:34 AM

Like I said in the recruiting will make you nuts thread, if you think you have it bad, try to be a Charlotte fan. Every year some poo pops up. We've had quite a few kids that were meant to be impact players fail to qualify and have to prep. Luckily most lately have honored their commitments and came back after the prep year, but that's not always the case. Chris Braswell, our best recruit in the last few years, signed with Georgetown last year as a top 20 recruit, failed to qualify, prepped, and then signed with Charlotte. Hopefully Lo Brown doesn't do that to NCSU unless he's coming to Charlotte :D

If you were UNC, Kentucky, Memphis (until Cal left), Kansas, or maybe a handful of other programs, he would have been qualified. But, NCSU is largely irrelevant these days, so you get the shaft.

#4 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,631 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 09:55 AM

poo happens. Get used to it.

I am well aware that bad luck happens I am an NCSU fan remember? So far in the last 3 weeks I have been informed that we have lost 2 of our best 3 defensive players on the football team and our best basketball recruit who was expected to log major minutes this year.

And I'm never going to get used to a kid that has the same transcript as other top kids in his class but fails to get in because his school system is different. He would have been BETTER prepared to sit in a college classroom than most of these kids but the rules were different for him which isn't fair to him IMO.

#5 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,631 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 09:58 AM

Like I said in the recruiting will make you nuts thread, if you think you have it bad, try to be a Charlotte fan. Every year some poo pops up. We've had quite a few kids that were meant to be impact players fail to qualify and have to prep. Luckily most lately have honored their commitments and came back after the prep year, but that's not always the case. Chris Braswell, our best recruit in the last few years, signed with Georgetown last year as a top 20 recruit, failed to qualify, prepped, and then signed with Charlotte. Hopefully Lo Brown doesn't do that to NCSU unless he's coming to Charlotte :D

If you were UNC, Kentucky, Memphis (until Cal left), Kansas, or maybe a handful of other programs, he would have been qualified. But, NCSU is largely irrelevant these days, so you get the shaft.

Lo Brown has said he will stay committed to NCSU which is good of him to say. But yes I am fully aware that the Clearinghouse takes this stuff case by case and pulls strings (aka cheats) for the programs that bring the NCAA the most money. Its bullsh*t and there has never been more of a joke institution than the NCAA in all of amateur, college, or professional sports.

#6 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 11:00 AM

That's good for NC State fans. He'll be a great player. Even though it sucks for State fans this year, he'll get a year of playing against good competition and another year to mature and hone his skills. He'll be a better college player for it.

#7 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:13 PM

Sucks for state. He would've been a nice addition. All college programs have problems with qualifiers, though...Well, most. Memphis has no standards whatsoever, and most of the SEC turns a blind eye to academic measurements as well.

#8 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,631 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 02:10 PM

Sucks for state. He would've been a nice addition. All college programs have problems with qualifiers, though...Well, most. Memphis has no standards whatsoever, and most of the SEC turns a blind eye to academic measurements as well.

Pretty sure Lo Brown is the only top 50 prospect that didn't qualify. I got the lowdown on Georgia high schools from another guy on a State board. Apparently every class is C-walled in high school for 5A public schools. It is the only state in the country that does this. So, if you don't make a C then you fail the class. I don't know the specifics of Lorenzo's situation (how many classes he missed) but apparently he did what he needed to do to qualify. The clearinghouse just said no essentially because he didn't walk at his graduation (he finished up after the school year was over).

So, in essence IMO he got screwed b/c of the HS that he went to. To take the blame off of him completely would be wrong b/c they are ultimately his grades but it seems like this is a crappy situation that other kids avoid by attending diploma mills.

#9 Nicbsbll2

Nicbsbll2

• HUDDLER
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 03:22 PM

Damnit! And the V Curse strikes again.

#10 mantal

mantal

• HUDDLER
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:10 PM

I am well aware that bad luck happens I am an NCSU fan remember? So far in the last 3 weeks I have been informed that we have lost 2 of our best 3 defensive players on the football team and our best basketball recruit who was expected to log major minutes this year.

And I'm never going to get used to a kid that has the same transcript as other top kids in his class but fails to get in because his school system is different. He would have been BETTER prepared to sit in a college classroom than most of these kids but the rules were different for him which isn't fair to him IMO.

I feel for you, I do. But I don't really understand how the tests were different and prejudicial to your player...

#11 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,631 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 10:03 PM

I feel for you, I do. But I don't really understand how the tests were different and prejudicial to your player...

Well take for instance a kid that goes to school in NC and has made Ds in a number of his classes but his GPA is still around a 2.5 and is doing well enough to graduate from his particular high school. Then, look at Lorenzo Brown's transcript for instance and he has made the same number of Ds as the aforementioned NC kid, has the same GPA, and isn't allowed to graduate because at his particular school the classes are C walled instead of D walled. Therefore, the NC kid qualifies because he walked at graduation and Lorenzo Brown does not because he didn't walk.

Like I said...blame should not be taken away from Lorenzo because ultimately they are his grades. But if his transcript is identical to another kid from the states of North Carolina/Florida/Kentucky etc...then why should he be held back just because he went to a tougher school? I wouldn't be saying this if ONE governing body (the NCAA Clearinghouse) didn't preside over every case in the country. They are the ultimate authority that said he was denied ability to go to college on an athletic scholarship although his transcript was the same as other kids they allowed to go.

The ONLY difference separating Lorenzo from say...Derrick Favors is the fact that Favors went to a small school in Atlanta that has a reputation for being a diploma mill. This is what happens when all athletes are not held to the same standard. Lorenzo got a tough break because he goes to a school that C walls their classes...anything below a C for that particular school (Centennial HS) is a failing grade.

#12 Luc21

Luc21

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:19 PM

Dont worry Eric Bledsoe had no problem getting qualified. Yes, I agree there are problems in the system and they are not just based on high schools either.

#13 mantal

mantal

• HUDDLER
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:55 PM

Seems like a kid that went to Hargrave Military Academy would have no problem qualifying. They stress academics there. Something smells here Unicar, I'm with you...

#14 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,631 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 08:30 PM

Seems like a kid that went to Hargrave Military Academy would have no problem qualifying. They stress academics there. Something smells here Unicar, I'm with you...

Well they are appealing it right now. I'm not upset about Lorenzo's HS or the coaching staff or anything else. They apparently thought that everything would be ok and then they get this bomb dropped on them. My beef is with the NCAA clearinghouse that has ultimate authority over ALL HS players trying to qualify. I didn't want to bring up names but Luc already alluded to one Eric Bledsoe who is on campus at Kentucky. There were SERIOUS doubts about him qualifying and honestly not many about Lorenzo qualifying and Bledsoe gets in and Lorenzo doesn't. The only difference....Bledsoe got to walk at his graduation because his HS isn't as competitive as Browns.

It is just BS that an ACC school and an SEC school are essentially holding their kids to different standards. I mean under that philosophy a kid could do the bare minimum and graduate from a bare minimum high school and another kid could do the same work as other non-athletes but more work than athletes and because his school has more than bare minimum requirements he doesn't walk. If that makes sense...its just a double standard if you ask me.

Not to mention there is the possibility that Lorenzo could be qualified by the 2nd semester...which means that if he had a questionable record, it was not much at all.

#15 Nicbsbll2

Nicbsbll2

• HUDDLER
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:02 PM

Do I remember wrong, but didn't an athlete take a couple of online classes last year to get qualified for UNC?

If so, why couldn't Lorenzo do that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com