Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MKG

23 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Just figured I would start a thread for discussion on MKG and his progress.

So far, in 5 games, MKG has shut down Rudy Gay and Carmelo Anthony. Both of these guys were terribly inefficient and got most of their points when Mike was on the bench.

Along with his defense, he has shown a lot on offense. Gilly is completely unstoppable on the fastbreak and he looks good in the post. I know it's a small sample size, but even his ugly mid-range shot has been going in.

MKG's per 36 stats (these are adjusted as if he was playing 36 minutes per game) so far:

14.3 points, 7.7 rebounds, 1.2 assists, 2.1 blocks, 1.0 steals.

That's a VERY impressive stat line. Especially when you consider that he is the 5th youngest player in the entire NBA.

If you take out his one outlier game (New Orleans), his per 36 numbers are:

16.9 points, 7.4 rebounds, 0.9 assists, 2.3 blocks, 1.14 steals.

Even more impressive on the scoring end. And it's even better when you add in his tremendous man-to-man defense. Again, it's an extremely small sample size, but it is definitely very promising.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I love everything about his game, except for that pesky jumpshot.

If he could somehow become a knockdown shooter, I could see him turn into a superstar in the mold of Paul George.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I love MKG as a player, but the shot has to improve. He's more than likely never going to be a good shooter or even decent. But hopefully he can be average. 

Posted · Report post

Honestly those numbers are fine and acceptable, IMO.  If he scores 10-14 points and always grabs those rebounds, blocks, and plays that kind of defense, I'm cool with it.   

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Honestly those numbers are fine and acceptable, IMO.  If he scores 10-14 points and always grabs those rebounds, blocks, and plays that kind of defense, I'm cool with it.   

I agree.  He is young and I think he will only get better. 

He free throws motions though, wow.

Posted · Report post

If he ever finds his shot skys the limit. He can be a star

Sent from my SCH-I545 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Posted · Report post

He could somehow become a knockdown shooter, I could see him turn into a superstar in the mold of Paul George. 

Posted · Report post

The only way that happens is if some Space Jam style juju happens where he steals someone's shooting talent. 

Posted · Report post

I do want to point out that while it is a small sample size MKG is shooting 47% from mid range this season. I would just love to see him develop a corner 3 and become a super 3 and D player, but with an All-Star all around game (rebounding, steals, defensive, assists, etc). 

http://stats.nba.com/playerShotchart.html?PlayerID=203077&zone-mode=basic

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

his jumper has gotten tasty

kidd-gilchrist-jumper-o.gif

Posted · Report post

I love MKG as a player, but the shot has to improve. He's more than likely never going to be a good shooter or even decent. But hopefully he can be average. 

yes. you cannot get by in this league without a jumper

Posted · Report post

his jumper has gotten tasty

kidd-gilchrist-jumper-o.gif

But his free throw is one of the ugliest things I have ever seen.  It makes Shaq's free throws look like butter.

1 person likes this