75 replies to this topic

#61 RoaringRiot

RoaringRiot

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,110 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:27 PM

Pretty sure he was referring to touching the ball on the return that leads to the kicking team recovering it, not touching the ball on a block.

Pretty sure a blocked punt is a different situation than all those other "freak accidents" he was referring to. Touching the ball on ST on a punt vs. a blocked punt isn't the same thing.

#62 footballisasport

footballisasport

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:52 PM

uhmmmm, no.  far from an A but did enough on this day.  Cam had one terrible pass that was picked off, but all-in-all, we moved the chains and ate clock.  Too many drops again this week, but picking up that 3 and 7 with 2:12 on that out route to Smith is a crunch time play.

Actually the Int was Cam threwing the ball where he wanted it to go. The defender either hit his arm or got in his face as he was throwing the ball. That is not him making a "terrible pass."  He overthrew one ball. Sheesh...He is allowed to over throw a ball or two is he not?

I like Harbaugh's attitude during his Presser today. We need to stop with the singling out and scrutinizing of these players. IMO, don't see any of it being productive. Especially if we always seem to have our radar on certain individuals, while easily letting others off the hook. 

#63 GoCarolina8990

GoCarolina8990

All Day

• HUDDLER
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:32 PM

An under rated part of the win was on that 4th down deep in Carolina territory, Kap trying to draw one of our guys off sides. Everyone thought they were going for it but no one jumped, very, very good. The focus is a testament to Rivera

#64 Servant of Cthululelei

Servant of Cthululelei

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationApex, NC

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:39 PM

How is this not completely obvious?

If you go back and watch the play, Stew did have two hands on the ball, and then he gets hit and spun around, which caused one arm to break off the ball briefly.  And it was immediately after that that the second defender came in and punched it out.  It was sort of a perfect storm.

I know because I literally said to my brother while that play was happening, "Look at Stewart cover up that ball, I'm lovin it...OH WHAT THE fug?!?!?!"

I really think the only thing Stewart could have done to avoid that fumble was to get even lower with the intent to just fall forward when the first defender was coming in.  Instead, he gets his shoulder low and bounces off the tackle, which ended up leading to the fumble.  But man it's tough to expect a runningback to not try to break tackles.

I give Stewart a B on the day.  He was the most effective and consistent runningback for sure (though Tolbert barely got any carries).  I think DeAngelo is perfect in his reduced role, which still gives him opportunities to break some big, game-changing runs, like the one he had today, which came off a misdirection run.  Stewart is definitely better in the base run packages.

#65 getsome

getsome

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationMt. Airy

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:28 PM

The offence did not do great but it wasn't Cam. If the recievers had caught the balls that were very catchable, Cam's numbers would have been 30-40% better. The coaching staff better figure out how to improve here. This game resembled the fiasco in Arizona with all the dropped balls. Cam Newton is for real.

#66 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,573 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:19 PM

I don't like being "That Guy", I love it. Not 1 mention of Cam getting another 4th Quarter ComeBack? Am I the only one that has noticed this event?

One big knock on Cam was the lack of wins. We have won 11-16, so that one is gone.

He got another 4th quarter comeback, and had numerous big 3rd down conversions. He may have been a tad shakey, but he played well down the stretch where it really mattered.

Big Game Cam played well, give him some of those drops, and it could have been a pretty good day. Hey, another game with an int. that we won. In a row. Back to backerz.

#67 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,881 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:28 PM

I don't like being "That Guy", I love it. Not 1 mention of Cam getting another 4th Quarter ComeBack? Am I the only one that has noticed this event?

One big knock on Cam was the lack of wins. We have won 11-16, so that one is gone.

He got another 4th quarter comeback, and had numerous big 3rd down conversions. He may have been a tad shakey, but he played well down the stretch where it really mattered.

Big Game Cam played well, give him some of those drops, and it could have been a pretty good day. Hey, another game with an int. that we won. In a row. Back to backerz.

Doesn't count wasn't less than 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter. 

#68 Gabeking

Gabeking

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:54 PM

uhmmmm, no. far from an A but did enough on this day. Cam had one terrible pass that was picked off, but all-in-all, we moved the chains and ate clock. Too many drops again this week, but picking up that 3 and 7 with 2:12 on that out route to Smith is a crunch time play.

More like a terrible throw away lol

#69 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,573 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:16 PM

Now don't you dare try and rain on my giddy. 4th Quarter, is 4th Quarter.

They are called 4th Quarter comebacks, not last 5 min. comebacks.

That said, great game, great win.

#70 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,506 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:24 AM

In one of the more memorable games in recent history the Panthers were victorious and walked away a solid playoff contender. It just doesn't get much better than that. On with the grades...

Offense:

Cam Newton completed only half of his passes, had no touchdowns, and threw an interception. That statement alone sounds much worse than he actually was thanks to multiple drops by Smith and Lafell on third downs. Jonathan Stewart fumbled the ball late in the 4th quarter, but unlike the Seahawks game, the Panthers were able to recover it. Deangelo Williams' touchdown scamper was the highlight of the entire day for the offense and ultimately won the game for the Panthers. This was not an impressive day for the Panthers offense, especially when it comes to player execution. Still, they did enough in the end to win the game, if only by a single point. That counts for something.

Offensive Grade: C+

Defense:

To say the Panthers defense did an excellent job Sunday would be a gross understatement. Together they put together a performance that will frighten Offensive Coordinators for the rest of the season. Frank Gore was held to under 100 yards and Colin Kaepernick looked pedestrian at best, completing only half of his passes and throwing a game losing interception. Credit Luke Kuechly for keeping Kaepernick confused on coverages the entire game. His adjustment calls during the game were a big contributor to the win.

Defensive Grade: A+

Special Teams:

Graham Gano missed his first field goal of the season (unlucky number 13) and once again the special teams unit coughed up a fumble. However, Gano made his second field goal that put the Panthers up by one and Ginn had a key return late in the game. Overall, just like the offense, enough to win. (Thanks defense!)

Special Teams Grade: C

Coaching:

I am starting to happily eat my harsh words for Mike Shula earlier this season. Both Rivera and Shula are coaching well. The poor offensive performance was mainly due to player execution. If the Panthers receivers caught those third down passes, this game would have been put away earlier.

The Panthers coaches marched into Candlestick Park and out-coached the NFC Superbowl representative from last year. That is the bottom line.

Coaching Grade: A

Think this is about as fair an assessment as you will get.

Offense was pretty bad, but D basically won this one for us by allowing no touchdowns even after a pick and a horrible call on the Vernon Davis catch.  Still held them out of the end zone.  Props to coaches.

Offense still has some catching up to do.  Hoping the G situation gets better soon.

#71 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:40 AM

why did stewart get the majority of the carries?

Because he's a beast (along with Tugboat) wearing down the opposing defense?

#72 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,709 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:11 AM

Only in your world does it not count.

In the real world, the one in which wins and losses are recorded, it certainly was a 4th quarter game winning drive. The only people that would care about it coming in the last 5 minutes or not are those with a previous agenda.

We had to score. We did. We won the game. That's all that matters to most Panther fans.

#73 Cpt slay a ho

Cpt slay a ho

Lord Flacko

• HUDDLER
  • 2,350 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:54 PM

Because he's a beast (along with Tugboat) wearing down the opposing defense?

no doubt but with the way d will ended the half you would have though he'd get more chances in the 2nd half

#74 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:10 PM

no doubt but with the way d will ended the half you would have though he'd get more chances in the 2nd half

True, but you gotta keep a defense like The 49ers on their heels. Changing the pace certainly helped. 

#75 Jenny Loop

Jenny Loop

NEWB

• HUDDLER
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:52 AM

Seahawk game: 3 drops on 3rd down, bad fumble late that cost us the game. Scored 7 points

Zods reaction: OMFG Shula is awful! "7 points". Coaching grade: F-----

49ers game: 3 huge drops from WR's. 2 bad fumbles late that luckily didnt cost us the game. Scored 10 points

Zod: GREAT COACHING. "If receivers could have caught the ball we would have put them away earlier." Scored 10 points . Coaching grade: A+

;) Welcome aboard Zod. Good to know you've joined those of us who can actually analyze football and realize theres a difference between "coaching" and "execution"

Seahawk game: 3 drops on 3rd down, bad fumble late that cost us the game. Scored 7 points

Zods reaction: OMFG Shula is awful! "7 points". Coaching grade: F-----

49ers game: 3 huge drops from WR's. 2 bad fumbles late that luckily didnt cost us the game. Scored 10 points

Zod: GREAT COACHING. "If receivers could have caught the ball we would have put them away earlier." Scored 10 points . Coaching grade: A+

;) Welcome aboard Zod. Good to know you've joined those of us who can actually analyze football and realize theres a difference between "coaching" and "execution"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carolina Panthers, NFL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com