Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you be opposed to a Julio Jones type draft day trade for a stud WR?

78 posts in this topic

Posted

But look at the Rams, had a million picks and are still stuck in the mud. I still think Atlanta did the right thing trading for Julio, he is a franchise WR and a rare talent. Drafting in the mid-late 20s very rarely do you get a playmaker that high.

Once again, it all comes down to what you do with those picks, stop thinking scouts are right all the time and a team gets good players just based on the round they are picked.  You're going full retard with your idea that player makers are only found in the first 20 picks of each draft...I guess Tom Brady, Priest Holmes, Vincent Jackson, Terrell Owens, Steve Smith, Desean Jackson, Brandon Marshall, Gronkowski, and Wes Welker are "super rare" playmakers because they aren't top 20 picks.

Posted

The days of trading away the future for projects is over. The time to maximize your investment in a shortened amount of time is upon us. So yes, I would be very opposed to this ridiculous Ideal. We are not a desperate football team anymore. The offensive line needs more help than ever, getting a #1 wide out, while it is a need, is not smart when your line is in shambles. Cure the line first, then get a WR.

You can get a decent WR with potential to be a #1 as late as the 3rd round. We still have a second round pick and the depth of WR this coming year is deep. There are a lot of quality play makers coming out. So just hang on and trust in Gettleman.

That has been our problem, drafting WRs in later rounds. We need a stud WR in the 1st round, its time.

Posted

Draft a stud WR by trading away our entire draft just to not be able to sign him because of our cap situation? No thanks. We need depth and skill at the line. Period. Find a gem in the 5th round maybe?? Haha. That's our best bet. Or a veteran. The corps we have now could be better, but it will suffice so that we don't trade up for any big time receiver.

1 person likes this

Posted

The days of trading away the future for projects is over.

And thank God for that :D

4 people like this

Posted

I am hoping for it. A lot can happen but I think its the one missing link from us competing for Super Bowls... that is if Rivera is truly figured it out as HC.

Posted

Yes, I'd be HUGELY opposed.

Terrible idea.

3 people like this

Posted

That has been our problem, drafting WRs in later rounds. We need a stud WR in the 1st round, its time.

And we may be able to get one.

But NOT by making a foolish trade.

2 people like this

Posted

Good Lord some of you are stupid.  To even suggest such a thing shows your lack of knowledge in football matters.  Thanks God you aren't our GM.

I bet you would have agreed with Mike Ditka trading his entire draft for Ricky Williams...

1 person likes this

Posted

No.

Posted

No

1. Not a Calvin Johnson type player in the draft

2. Were more of a Run and Pound style offense so no point putting all our eggs in for 1 WR

Will not be opposed for trading up 4 or so spots only trading away small change like a 4th-5th for a Mike Evans

Would Rather IMO get Ebron TE out of UNC and get some WR (Nicks or Britt) in FA

1 person likes this

Posted

Stud WR like you say don't come that often and usually fall to the top 5 picks. There is no reason to get a stud wr if your line is as FUBAR as it is right now.

Atlanta has enjoyed Julio very little. He is done for the season and has had about 1 1/2 good seasons. Yes he is a talent but they have suffered more than gained. Look at them this year. No o line, bad defense, no running game, nothing. They suck but hey, they have a stud WR.

You can find good talent in later rounds, not just the 1st round. Look around the league man...The second round is the perfect round to get a playmaker, dare I say the 3rd. Steve smith was a 3rd round pick. So don't say we can not find talent in later rounds. It is possible but its up to gettlemen to find them. Heck, who says we won't land a stud WR via FA? There are options. First things first. PROTECT YOUR QB!!!

1 person likes this

Posted

You mad a absolutely terrible comparison, since Vincent Jackson was a late second round pick, and Thomas was a mid to late first round pick, two spots we could obviously be picking without a trade. Hell I'd say Kenan Allen has the potential to be the next Vincent Jackon-esque player and he was a rookie drafted in the third this year.

Go look at the Detroit Lion's luck with 1st round, top-10 WR in the early 2000s if you think drafting the highest ranked receiver is the only way to find a game breaker at the position.

Ummmm, no. Mike Evans, for instance, is easily more comparable to V-Jax (not Allen), and Evans is clearly going in the Top 20 in 2014.

Point? Carolina hasn't drafted a gamechanger at WR since Smitty. We don't exactly have a great track record.