Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Getting Defensive - New England Patriots

75 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Here is Patriots QB Tom Brady's take on Monday night Panthers vs Patriots matchup:

{ “It’s a tough team. They’re physical. Their front seven is as good as anybody. Their pass rush, their run-stoppers, they’ve got playmakers in the secondary. It’s got to be our best game, there’s no doubt about it. … We’ll see what we’re made of.” }

Posted · Report post

I think we will be the one trying to have clock eating drives and hope for a low scoring game in the 4th.  We haven't let anyone run all year.  This is not the dreaded Patriot offense of old.  The Bengals held them to 7 points at their place.

Yes but they just dropped 55 on the 8th ranked defense in the league.

Posted · Report post

Well you know I think it's pretty goddamn obvious what we need to do to beat the patriots specifically yeah we need to STOP THE RUN and play BALL CONTROL and win the TIME OF POSSESSION battle and we will definitely win
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

this is about as good of a matchup as we're going to get all season, both on offense and defense. their weaknesses play beautifully into what we like to do.

Posted · Report post

OK serious time

If there are three defenses built specifically to stop Brady then we are one of them. Being able to rush the QB without even using blitz pressure is one of the best weapons you can use to defend Brady. He isn't mobile, he can't really extend plays with his legs, and if our back seven covers their receivers long enough for the interior to collapse the pocket so our ends can bumblefuck right into Tom Terrific then it's going to be a long night for the pats

Posted · Report post

We just shut down the 49ers rushing attack, not worried about the Pats. 

With a guy like Brady, it's all about the pre-snap read... if we can do a good job of disguising our defense we can beat them. 

I'd expect Mike Mitchell to be a big factor in this game, I think you'll see him sent on several blitzes which in combination with our 4 man rush will make it a LONG night for Brady. 

Posted · Report post

Also good news is that our DBs are going to benefit from the west coast offense. We've been pressing receivers better than we ever have and with Luke and TD dropping back, we should frustrate Brady and force him to throw checkdowns.

Not trying to call out here, but they don't run a WCO.

It's an Erhardt-Perkins.

That said, they have changed it up from their normal 60 pass 40 run type thing.

We cannot fall behind in this game.

Posted · Report post

We cannot fall behind in this game.

Great point... we can't let them build up any kind of lead.  The D has to hold them down and the offense will have to do some work in this one.  

Posted · Report post

The only thing that sucks about playing the patriots is that if our defense comes anywhere close to the NFLs golden boy Tom Brady, there will be 15 yards penalties all game long on bullshit calls. We'll have to be really careful but hopefully they'll call a fair game

Sent from my SCH-I545 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

The only thing that sucks about playing the patriots is that if our defense comes anywhere close to the NFLs golden boy Tom Brady, there will be 15 yards penalties all game long on bullshit calls. We'll have to be really careful but hopefully they'll call a fair game

Sent from my SCH-I545 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

When we hit him, they are going to throw flags.

If you know that already, then make them count.

If I was Big Money, I would tell every person on the D Line, you get fined, I will pay for it.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Great point... we can't let them build up any kind of lead.  The D has to hold them down and the offense will have to do some work in this one.  

If they get quick start, and we don't, it will be awfully hard to come back.

That team is just too well coached.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Have to remember that their weapons are healthy now, fully healthy and chemistry has developed between him and his rookie receivers, plus you give Tom two weeks to prepare, especially now that his throwing hand is finally healthy and not swollen and you have your hands full, it doesn't matter how great the defense is, this is not the same offense before week 10, this is an entirely new animal at full strength and hitting on all cylinders that burned an 8th ranked Pittsburgh defense for a franchise high in points given up per one game... and with Shane Vereen, adding him to that equation makes it even harder to defend.  

Good points but to get the ball to them consistently Brady still has to be upright and not running for his life.  How is that OL doing these days?