Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What coaches could we lose next year?

33 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

With the defense playing they way they are right now how likely is that sean McDermott goes somewhere and becomes a head coach? 

I say right now about 50/50.  He was looked at as a head coaching candiate before we hired Riverboat Ron but many felt like he was not ready then.  I don't think they will have the same problem now.  Tampa comes to mind first off.  Probally what we will do is just more Wilks in the D-coordinator spot ( which Ron tired to do before he hired McDermott but the Chargers would not let him out of his contract).

I think Shula is safe (thanks Alabama).  Is there any one else you think we might lose in the offseason to either a head coaching position or a coordinator position with another team? 

Posted · Report post

Why?

Posted · Report post

Too early to think about this.
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

I don't see much of a threat of this happening.  There aren't too many available positions outside of TB.  Besides, we still need to finish out this season strong.  Right now, we are only 6-3.

Posted · Report post

Do you honestly think McDermott is going to get a head coaching gig?

Posted · Report post

I don't think McDermott is ready, but that wouldn't stop him from getting a shot.

Posted · Report post

HAHA. What a dumb post.

Posted · Report post

I don't think we have to worry about either coordinator getting a HC gig any time soon.  Regardless, everybody knows this is Rons defense so who cares if McDermott leaves anyway?

Posted · Report post

Regardless, everybody knows this is Rons defense so who cares if McDermott leaves anyway?

That's a factor that may well make it difficult for McDermott to get a head coaching job.

Posted · Report post

I don't think we have to worry about either coordinator getting a HC gig any time soon.  Regardless, everybody knows this is Rons defense so who cares if McDermott leaves anyway?

That's a factor that may well make it difficult for McDermott to get a head coaching job.

Ahem.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Linebacker Thomas Davis was explaining how he got two sacks in Sunday's 35-10 victory over the Minnesota Vikings, giving all the credit to Carolina Panthers defensive coordinator Sean McDermott for putting him in the right position.

"You don't have to say that because I'm standing here," shouted McDermott, about 15 feet away.

Thomas continued to wax eloquent on the 39-year-old coach as he dressed in the visitors locker room at the Minneapolis Metrodome.

"He's a defensive guru," he said.

---

And if you ask anyone else on the NFL's third-ranked defense, he will give credit to McDermott and his staff as well.

"A beast," end Greg Hardy said when asked to describe McDermott.

If you know Hardy, that is the ultimate compliment. It's the same praise he gave to Minnesota's Adrian Peterson, whom he considers the best running back in the league.

Hardy also referred to McDermott as the "offensive coordinator of the No. 3 defense in the NFL," an apt description because offensive coordinators typically are given more credit for calling plays and designing schemes.

http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/1321/mcdermott-is-master-of-carolina-d

I guess you guys know more than TD and Greg Hardy about who this defense belongs to.

I probably shouldn't take TD for his word ever again, then.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Ahem.

http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/1321/mcdermott-is-master-of-carolina-d

I guess you guys know more than TD and Greg Hardy about who this defense belongs to.

I probably shouldn't take TD for his word ever again, then.

Not at all. But there's reality and there's perception. Other teams looking at it from the outside are always gonna wonder.

Look at it from the flipside: Would you hire Sean Payton's offensive coordinator?

Posted · Report post

I bet chud hires our entire coaching staff to the Browns