38 replies to this topic

#1 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:39 AM

A WHOLE PIE!

I have been struggling to put into words what the Carolina Panthers were missing over the past two seasons. Then, this morning, it dawned on me. It wasn't toughness, it wasn't talent...

It was grit. The Panthers were lacking in grit.

You see, grit is something you don't teach in the classroom. It can't be acquired through practices. It is an intangible that often goes overlooked in the NFL, but is perhaps one of the most important. Grit isn't toughness or talent. Grit is the ability to use those traits to persevere toward a unified goal. That is precisely what the Panthers have discovered this season.

I believe grit made its way into Bank of America stadium by way of Buffalo. It was the loss in Buffalo that literally put the grit in Ron Rivera's stomach...

"Seriously [the loss] eats at me," Rivera said. "It friggin' pisses me off to no end. And maybe that's what it took. Maybe that's the revelation I needed."

Since then, Ron Rivera is no longer a calculated signal caller looking to minimize risk at all cost. Rivera has reached back into his past, found his inner Ditka, and emerged as Riverboat Ron.

From there it has spread on to the field where Cam Newton now is able to put early mistakes aside and focus on winning. The Panthers defense is now able to close games instead of the inevitable fourth quarter collapse.

The 2013 Panthers have grit.

#2 DC Amp

DC Amp

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:47 AM

Our coach used to call it "desire & passion" for the game. You got to want it so bad that you essentially will it to happen. (the win)

#3 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 13,952 posts
  • Location704

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:28 AM

It's like something happened overnight with this team. Ever since the AZ game - something has happened. It's like the light went off with everybody at the exact same time. 

#4 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,416 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:10 AM

Mental toughness is somewhat synonymous, but it's what I thought they were lacking.

#5 xerxes

xerxes

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:15 AM

I think it was a pair of starting DTs who don't suck donkey balls, DBs who actually follow the system, and an offensive coordinator who isn't out to prove how awesome mad cool he is.

But hey that's just me.

#6 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• HUDDLER
  • 17,416 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:18 AM

I agree X, to a point. More mental toughness and/or grit would have won us more games the last two years.

Our record in close games would be a story for the right reasons.

#7 RoaringRiot

RoaringRiot

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:26 AM

OMG I love grits! Now I'm starving...

#8 footballisasport

footballisasport

• HUDDLER
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:47 AM

I have been struggling to put into words what the Carolina Panthers were missing over the past two seasons. Then, this morning, it dawned on me. It wasn't toughness, it wasn't talent...

It was grit. The Panthers were lacking in grit.

You see, grit is something you don't teach in the classroom. It can't be acquired through practices. It is an intangible that often goes overlooked in the NFL, but is perhaps one of the most important. Grit isn't toughness or talent. Grit is the ability to use those traits to persevere toward a unified goal. That is precisely what the Panthers have discovered this season.

I believe grit made its way into Bank of America stadium by way of Buffalo. It was the loss in Buffalo that literally put the grit in Ron Rivera's stomach...

"Seriously [the loss] eats at me," Rivera said. "It friggin' pisses me off to no end. And maybe that's what it took. Maybe that's the revelation I needed."

Since then, Ron Rivera is no longer a calculated signal caller looking to minimize risk at all cost. Rivera has reached back into his past, found his inner Ditka, and emerged as Riverboat Ron.

From there it has spread on to the field where Cam Newton now is able to put early mistakes aside and focus on winning. The Panthers defense is now able to close games instead of the inevitable fourth quarter collapse.

The 2013 Panthers have grit.

You must be in training to work for the media. This has got to be the most deceptive spins I have ever read. Talk about doing everything in one's power to weaken the image of a player while pumping up one's team. The Receivers made way more mistakes than Cam but I guess you simply equated their mistakes to that being on Cam also. So sad.

Bottom-line is , the Panthers lacked real team confidence, not just grit. Individual confidence is good but when it doesn't translate on the field and as a team, it's not worth a bag of beans. This team has been downward skid since 2008. The pscyhology of the team clearly shifted from knowing how to win to simply trying to survive. They are on the road to realizing that it's not just about individual talents but a real team chemistry. And yes, Rivera did need to put on his man underwears.  

#9 RelaxImaPro

RelaxImaPro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,253 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:49 AM

Whatever it is they still need to stop fumbling at the end of games.  Seriously, how often are we going to keep getting away with that?  The ball would literally never bounce our way before in those circumstances, but it's done it two weeks in a row now.

#10 jayflip

jayflip

vaya con dios

• HUDDLER
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:59 AM

I really thought this was a thread about Grits. That creepy bastard.

#11 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• HUDDLER
  • 5,849 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:06 AM

I like my true grits with extra butter.

-Sione Fooda

#12 catfang

catfang

• HUDDLER
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:07 AM

How long do you cook a grit?

#13 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• HUDDLER
  • 17,416 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:18 AM

How long do you cook a grit?

#14 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:25 AM

totally agreed. they've got the "it" factor right now. people have trouble saying what "it" is, well i guess in this instance "it" is grit. they've got talent and fight in them...but it isn't just fight, these guys are scrappy. 

the offense is still lagging behind the defense, but if the past couple years are any indicator of what is to come, i think the second half of the season we will see more from the offense. it always takes them a while to find their groove, esp on the OL.

#15 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:28 AM

and yeah....i'm hungry now.

when i eat my spicy korean and thai ramen noodles, i always put grits in them just to give them a bit more substance. grits are awesome. very versatile food.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.