Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:06 PM

A lot of bandwagoners on here lately

#47 SmashNDash

SmashNDash

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:11 PM

Ironically he mentions both the fact that Hurney wouldn't have traded him, and the regret of not winning these past few years.  Has his mind not put two and two together, and realized that Hurney giving contracts to players who spent several seasons riding bikes on the sidelines the majority of the time, is the reason we weren't winning consistantly? Pretty hard to win when you have tons of money tied up in players who play 1 game a season.

#48 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,408 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:23 PM

Hurney definitely wouldn't have traded him. But the fact that this isn't a place where you can get a fat wallet just for racking up pretty individual stats no matter how bad you're doing in standings died with the Hurney era. That's why guys like CJ protested the firing last year.

#49 prowler2k8

prowler2k8

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:28 PM

Each party has reasons to spin the story in their direction and we'll probably never know how things really went down... but I tend to believe Beason.

The Panthers never said he asked to be traded, they simply said he was disappointed when he was informed that Blackburn would be starting. As a beloved leader in the locker room, I'm sure the FO was concerned that his disappointment and any perceived injustice towards him could have a toxic effect on morale so they decided to shop him around and ended up basically giving him away to the Giants.

I can understand how he feels about not being given a chance to say goodbye to his teammates but I can also understand why the Panthers decided it was best to just cut the cord given the situation... there's no easy way to say goodbye under these circumstances so sometimes it's just best to not say goodbye at all.

I do think the Panthers intended to do him a solid by trading him to a fundamentally good organization with a big need at MLB in return for a huge cap penalty and very low compensation.

I'm glad Beason has found himself in a situation where he can be a major contributor AND I'm glad the Panthers organization has the guts to trade a guy like Beason away when it's time to move on. I think it's important to be loyal to players, especially guys like Beason, but there's a limit to that and Hurney often exceeded that limit (and then some).

I see this as a win-win and I really hope Beason doesn't have any hard feelings.

Very well said sir.

#50 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,908 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:30 PM

See, that's the thing. As much respect as I have for Beason, a comment like "Hurney wouldn't have traded me" comes off as sour grapes.

#51 BANE

BANE

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationCollege

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:37 PM

Stupid f'ing trade. The team will regret it. Someone of that caliber can find a role, even if its not his natural position. I don't buy for a f'ing second he "demanded" a trade. Hope he rips it up in NY. 

#52 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,408 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:38 PM

Speaking of sour grapes

#53 Kuech the Sneak

Kuech the Sneak

• HUDDLER
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:40 PM

I've spoken to Jon since and he isn't miffed and doesn't have any ill will towards anyone here. In fact I expect once he retires he will have a presence here in Charlotte.

That interview seemed like he did, that's good to hear though

#54 Kuech the Sneak

Kuech the Sneak

• HUDDLER
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:41 PM

But I don't think we're gonna regret that trade, Luke is amazing

#55 Jangler

Jangler

a head full of candy corn

• HUDDLER
  • 47,560 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:49 PM

Hurney held on to players too long and it hurt the team. So yeah, he would still be here. As much as I loved Beason on this team, it was time to move on and now we have a GM that knows when that time is. 

#56 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• HUDDLER
  • 9,834 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:05 PM

Can't believe people think we will regret the trade.. That's ...stupid.

#57 yasuhara2241

yasuhara2241

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:47 PM

Let's be honest, this was the only place and team he knew since Miami. He was the leader of the team for many yrs. Of course he will be sad that he had to start over and not have a chance to say goodbye to his friends/teammates.

He was asked a question about Hurney and he answered it. I don't feel like its sour grapes just the truth. 

Sometimes we as fans get so caught up in stats, production, wins and losses that we forget the human element. This is a job and a livelihood for these players and they have built relationships. 

#58 French Navy

French Navy

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • LocationKing of the world, on a boat like Leo

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:59 PM

Yes, Hurney would have kept you Beason.

That's why you and Hurney both aren't here anymore. 

#59 pepaw

pepaw

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:01 PM

As much as I wish this to be true, he wasn't even on the field for half of those 5 years!

68 games out of 96 is roughly 2/3s which is more than half.  

#60 MCC

MCC

• ALL-PRO
  • 973 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:21 PM

68 games out of 96 is roughly 2/3s which is more than half.  

haha forgive me...but still. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com