23 replies to this topic

#1 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:34 PM

Belmont has made a bunch of threes, but my God is Carolina looking ugly.  Can't even hit free throws (11-32).  I get that we're playing a bunch of freshmen, and Paige is having to shoulder the load from the arc, but you can't play like this against Belmont at home, even using your 2nd string. 

Without PJ and LMac this team is smelling like NIT.

#2 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:23 PM

Deserved to lose.  Watching that game hurt my eyes.

#3 YoungPanthers89

YoungPanthers89

Lucy Snorebush

• HUDDLER
  • 10,757 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:40 PM

heh

#4 Montie_0123

Montie_0123

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:46 PM

I agree with you and I'm still angry because of the way they played just horrible. Its going to be a long season and you are right NIT is right where they will be.

#5 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• HUDDLER
  • 4,753 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:00 PM

Roy had TOs and chose to just let it roll...bad coaching, bad execution from the team. Carolina doesn't have the talent it's had in recent years, but no excuse to lose at home to Belmont after coming back and leading by what, 5 or 6 with a minute to play? 

#6 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,448 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:14 PM

Roy is probably a nice guy but he is an average coach. He only looks good when he has a talented team.

Coach K has had less talented teams than this UNC team bette prepared for the season.

A few tidbits...

- He's stubborn as hell: I'm aware that he likes to coach his own way but my God, when an opposing team goes on a 16-5 run or is up one with 15 seconds left in the game, use a timeout.

- He fails to make crucial adjustments: Roy continued to try to run the fast pace offense against a team that didn't send anyone to the offensive glass, you can't run on a team that already has five guys back. Instead of running the floor, slow it down and go inside on primarily small team. I mean goodness gracious you have Joel James, James McAdoo, Brice Johnson, Kennedy Meeks, Isaiah Hicks, Desmond Hubert, Jackson Simmons, and you're settling for 25 foot jump shots from Tokoto. Another adjustment he could have made was telling his guys to switch on the screens. Belmont is primarily a three point shooting team, you don't have to worry about the roller on the screen and even if Belmont does happen to beat you on the pick and roll, you will most likely have a guard going against Joel James at the rim. James wins that battle 90% of the time.

Bottom line is that Roy is not answer for this team (in my opinion).

#7 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,448 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:23 PM

I also want to make it clear that I'm not solely pinning this loss on Williams.

Few teams would win a game going 22-48 from the line.

#8 BigBoss

BigBoss

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:50 PM

Good grief!! They squeaked by mighty Holy Cross but I tell ya Belmont was too tough.

TarheelILLustrated they are demanding roys head. Seriously though, what is going on UNC??

#9 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:01 PM

Good grief!! They squeaked by mighty Holy Cross but I tell ya Belmont was too tough.

TarheelILLustrated they are demanding roys head. Seriously though, what is going on UNC??

The horrible free throw shooting aside, I think it's fairly obvious what's going on.  We're playing people in spots that they may not normally play and are playing people minutes that they normally wouldn't get.  I mean with PJ and LMac, Tokoto would barely sniff the floor, Britt would be backing up Paige at PG, JMM would never be playing at the 3, etc....etc.

I think Roy is trying to find something that works, but the pieces he has right now just aren't conducive to how he likes to coach.  He's going to keep preaching an up tempo game and hope the team "gets it" by ACC time.  Even if they do "get it"...I don't see a whole lot of wins against the top of the ACC (i.e. none).

Roy had better pray he gets PJ and LMac back.

#10 pantherfan49

pantherfan49

Angry inventor

• HUDDLER
  • 5,314 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:27 PM

I'm sure that PJ and LMac will be cleared very soon.

Also, there is no more overrated coach in the game than Roy IMO.  He has a system that works when he has an excellent PG and a talented front line.  But he is no coach K.  Not even close.  

#11 Goondal

Goondal

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,710 posts
  • LocationHighlands Ranch, CO

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:39 PM

Glad I had other things going on today and missed the game.  After Friday night's performance I honestly thought this game was 50/50.  Belmont is always pretty good.

#12 SevyDamus

SevyDamus

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:14 PM

Roy was once again out coached whats new. He had his team playing help defense on Belmont's inside guys when Belmont guys clearly only wanted to shoot 3s. Should of taken a TO at the last 19 sec. U let JP get the last shot even of he got fouled with how he was shooting that would've sucked to. Team sucks at switching or fighting through screens. We had a clear advantage inthe middle yet we failed to go inside really the whole game. I live in TX & just how Mack Brown wore out his welcome at TX & Andy Reid at Philly it's time for Roy to hit the rode. Roy seems like a great guy & wonderful mentor. Just not a very good coach. Shaka Smart all the way!

#13 Brooklyn Bully

Brooklyn Bully

• HUDDLER
  • 8,184 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:40 PM

Roy needs to go. 

#14 ecu88

ecu88

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:22 PM

I came in like a wrecking balllll. Bwhahahaha

#15 Jakob

Jakob

never conquered rarely came

• Stop Making Threads...
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:33 AM

This happens almost every other year, we suck against these shitty as nobody schools and we turn up the heat in the second half of the schedule.

UNC without Hairston is like the Heat without Lebron.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.