Photo
- - - - -

Charles Johnson-Sprained Knee

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
61 replies to this topic

#49 Mojoman

Mojoman

• PipPip
ROOKIE

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:44 PM

Is there a Doctor in the house? I have a question..

How do you diagnose a knee ligament sprain from a MRI? I suppose it means the MRI shows only some localized swelling around the ligament versus a tear? Is this right? What is the typical recovery time for this injury?

#50 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:53 PM

Is there a Doctor in the house? I have a question..

How do you diagnose a knee ligament sprain from a MRI? I suppose it means the MRI shows only some localized swelling around the ligament versus a tear? Is this right? What is the typical recovery time for this injury?

I am not a doctor, and I did not see the MRI.

A sprain can typically mean a bunch of things. It can mean strain and stress to the actual ligament, or typically it means that there was damage to the bone. Ligaments are very strong, oftentimes stronger than the bone they connect to. Many times when people have a severe sprain, instead of just damaging the connective point, they actually damage the bone. The bone heals relatively quickly. 

This is why high ankle sprains are so destructive to a season. There's actual damage to the tib/fib, and not just a tendon.

i have experience, like I said earlier, with an MCL sprain. It was bad for about a week and a half-two weeks. Then suddenly it just got better. I did this without the kind of world class rehab and sports medicine doctors CJ will have access to.

That said, there's no way he plays this week. Maybe if it was a playoff game or something they'd load him up with Toradol and put him out there but it simply doesn't make sense against the Dolphins. 

#51 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

SUPPORTER

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:56 PM

They better play it safe with CJ. Let him sit out this week. Get that man healthy. We gonna need him later.

#52 camtheone

camtheone

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:06 PM

Day to day for sure....He was able to get go at the end.....I think if he has minimal swelling tomorrow then he will play sunday.....He'll just have limited practice or no practice the next few days to rest......KEEP POUNDING!!!  If CJ sits....Alexanders chance to get out of the dog house and he's for sure no bum..he'll play with a chip on his shoulder......KEEP POUNDING!!!

#53 janderson20vt

janderson20vt

Double Bubble

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:21 PM

No reason to play him against the Dolphins. They have lost a ton of lineman and have given up a trillion sacks. If this was the Saints then I would be worried but against Miami we hopefully rest him.

#54 GSO_Pantherz

GSO_Pantherz

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:29 PM

Don't play him. Sprain could escalate to a complete tear if not handled properly.

#55 rainwater

rainwater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:36 PM

It is already been reported that he will be doubtful when the official report comes out.  No way he practices this week.

#56 Luke Cage

Luke Cage

Eternal Hatred

SUPPORTER

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:26 AM

Don't play him. Sprain could escalate to a complete tear if not handled properly.

Holy poo....somebody who isn't spouting some stupid poo like "He'll play on Sunday".  You remember what happened to Chief Bob Three Sticks last season?  He didn't give himself enough time to recover and he completely wrecked his knee.  CJ should sit as long as he needs.  We need him for the playoffs more than we need him in 2 or 3 weeks.

#57 48ochoshogun

48ochoshogun

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:30 AM

Glad to hear

#58 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

HUDDLER

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:35 AM

Just have him ready for the Aints game.

#59 General_Purr

General_Purr

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:04 AM

Hope he gets to sit out this week. He needs the rest.. and he is important to this team. We need him coming for Brees. 

Give Frank Alexander some time on the line this week, I think he will play big in Miami. Having something similar with MCL injuries I wouldn't think I could or should play a nfl game in 6 days after. Understanding he is a difference scenario of course but.. we have the depth and talent for young players to step up and be hungry in his place.

Excited about this team fellas.

#60 Fox007

Fox007

HUDDLER

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:07 AM

I am glad CJ will ultimately be fine and that it wasn't anything major.

We are in the playoff hunt but I wouldn't risk him injuring it further by playing him too much this week....let Frank Alexander step in and wreak havoc.