Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cody Zeller

48 posts in this topic

Posted

Man, today's sports world demands immediate results.

Let him develop. He is going to be a really solid player for us. He needs to get stronger and acclimate to the NBA game.

Again no one thought he was the savior.

Posted

I think he'll be fine - he can maximize his skill sets and be a constant contributer.

He has a knack for the ball, which is always good.

Posted

Let's give this young man some time I think right now he's thinking to much and playing scared. Let's wait until the season is over with to evaluate his play.

Posted

Man, today's sports world demands immediate results.

Let him develop. He is going to be a really solid player for us. He needs to get stronger and acclimate to the NBA game.

Again no one thought he was the savior.

This draft was full of solid role players, nobody was an almost certain primetime player.  And as teeray said, he needs to get stronger and acclimate to the NBA.  He's likely never going to be someone that can carry the team on his back, but then nether is McLemore, Len, or Noel.  They all will have their roles, but if they are on a championship team, it will be driven by someone else. 

So, lets give him time to figure things out.  I think when we get better talent around him, and he has settled in to who he is as an NBA player, we will be thrilled to have him on our team.  I think when all is said and done, he will be that do-it-all big man that few teams have, but most wish they did.

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm all for developing him, he is just hurting us right now.

Posted

I hates the pick.  When Noel fell to us I was so excited, then I got punched in the gut.  Seems to happen all the time with this franchise.

Posted

Zeller fell out of the rookie top 10 ladder this week.  Of course we want immediate results, but not many teams

are getting that right now from their drafts picks.  Will not pass judgement now.  I really think we need to figure out

how to use him.  I think he'd be a great force in the secondary break.

Posted

too soon he's learning a completely new position but yeah he looks absolutely lost

Posted

I said from the moment our pick came up we shouldve taken noel

Sent from my SGH-T399 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Posted

Steve Clifford did an interview on one of the AM radio shows last week and he was asked about Zeller being the #4 pick and how he has performed this year.

Clifford talked about how Cody may benefit from putting on a little weight and talked about how right now he isn't strong enough in the post. 

He also talked about how he wasn't going to give Cody lots of minutes in games just to help him get better, he said playing time is earned in practice and that they had to put the best rotation on the floor.

He seemed to favor Cody developing his post game.  I also think it was interesting that not only is Cody struggling in games, but he isn't doing well enough in practice to get more playing time.

I think Clifford has improved in his interviews since the start of the season, and I appreciated him not calling it something that it isn't.  Cody is young and next year he may click and be twice as good as he is right now, but it was nice to have a coach be blunt and honest about the team and answer the questions that were asked.

The more I see Cody play the more I think the long term plan may need to be for him to put on weight and eventually be a center.  He is 7 feet tall, and half the time there is a missed shot he is out somewhere in 3 point range.  He had a good rebounding game against Chicago so hopefully we get more of that. 

Outside of a few bright spots the rookie class for this past draft hasn't looked too hot.

1 person likes this

Posted

My whole opinion on Zeller simce the beginning of the season has changed. Theres no way he's goin to the the player we thought he could be: Aldridge.

His game will be played exactly the same way he played at Indiana. Hes going to have to bulk the hell up and learn how to play defense.

1 person likes this

Posted

I dont totally buy what Clifford is selling.

If you just watch McBob play and then Cody play, there isn't much of a difference. In fact, it appears to me that Cody plays better with the more time he is given and he is a MUCH better defender than McBob is right now.

McBob isn't exactly benching 500 himself. I just get the feeling that Clifford is one of thise coaches that prefer to keep young players' PT to a minimum. He likes established vets regardless of the situation.