• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Cyclonus

Cyclonus

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:32 AM

Without Cams numbers boosting the run game, the Panthers would probably rank very low.  I just can't see them flipping a switch in week 13 and being a dominant run team (as in running with RBs).

#17 sanjay_rajput

sanjay_rajput

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • Locationstarkville, ms

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:58 AM

Without Cams numbers boosting the run game, the Panthers would probably rank very low.  I just can't see them flipping a switch in week 13 and being a dominant run team (as in running with RBs).

I think this is Cam's lowest rushing season......but we got a pretty good split between our RBs We just need to use Stewart and Tolbert to soften the defense up and then use William to stretch the defense out.

DeAngelo Williams- 610yds 2TD

Mike Tolbert-  253yds 4TD

Jonathan Stewart-  125yds 0TD

Cam Newton- 379yds 5TD

#18 PghPanther

PghPanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:17 AM

That starts up front. We need Scott and Hartstock back soon though.

Bingo......................you are correct.

The run game starts with the foundation of the offense......... the O line........

the O line must be able to trap D line personnel to open up a hole.............if the line can't do that then no runner in the world goes anywhere........as it is, during pass blocking Cam's scrambling ability has kept us in games and a winning season as our O line is struggling there too.

We have 3 running backs that are all capable of eating up yards in the secondary but they must have a hole to run through to begin with...........that is why so many of our runs up the middle have no results...

The O line is an area that all teams struggle with injuries but more so for the Panthers this year than others............

Did you see the trapping the O line did for Minn verses GB yesterday and the big chunks of yards they were getting?

If we could get healthy with the O line and trap like that...........then we beat anyone....................if we can't do that, then our inability to run up the middle will be the downfall of our post season..........

#19 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,714 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:54 AM

I know it has a lot to do with the line and Hartsock, but I feel that every time Deangelo comes in to run it's an instant drive/momentum killer for us.   I don't think DWill has the ability to create holes for himself when the line isn't the best.  That is why he hasn't been able to reach that 2008 season when we had a beast line and Otah was mauling for us.  I feel Stewart and Tolbert are more power backs that can create more holes or at least positive yards somehow.  I'd like to see Stewart and Tolbert get more carries, especially early to beat up their defense first, then let DWill come in with a spark and change up the pace.

Please no more wild cats.......

#20 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,912 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:55 AM

I know it has a lot to do with the line and Hartsock, but I feel that every time Deangelo comes in to run it's an instant drive/momentum killer for us. I don't think DWill has the ability to create holes for himself when the line isn't the best. That is why he hasn't been able to reach that 2008 season when we had a beast line and Otah was mauling for us. I feel Stewart and Tolbert are more power backs that can create more holes or at least positive yards somehow. I'd like to see Stewart and Tolbert get more carries, especially early to beat up their defense first, then let DWill come in with a spark and change up the pace.

Please no more wild cats.......

Also had Hoover....best lead blocker in the game paving a path through the line for Williams

#21 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 4,714 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:59 AM

Also had Hoover....best lead blocker in the game paving a path through the line for Williams

Yup, face it that team's offensive line was a monster, at least on the run side.  We could run it on either side and Otah was a beast that year.  You are right, Hoover was underappreciated here and in the league.  I can't deny it's hard for our backs, since everyone in the league knows our right side is garbage.

#22 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 8,867 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:39 AM

Our running game has never really been any good this year.

I'd like to see Tolbert and maybe Stewart get more touches. Williams just can't get consistent yards.

it was nice to see the efficiency increase in that last drive though.

#23 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:45 PM

It is really kind of hard for any of our RBs to get in rhythm being that we have to split carries like that. With that being said, Tolbert has been a beast in short yardage. I am loving him signing here more and more each game. We will get it going.

This is true.

I think our RBs have a hard time getting rythm when they go *** for tat. They need to feel around and see which of the guys up front is opening the bigger holes, and which LBs are bithing on the pump fake etc... 

I am a bigger fan of letting one guy come in for a half with Tolbert on short yardage duty, and then if we need the other guy at halftime or the 4th qtr, switch them out. 

I remember when Stewart came back and everyone was excited, I said that i didnt want to fix what wasnt broken because Deangelo and Tolbert were doing very good. To me, it seems that our run game has been kinda hit or miss since we messed up the rotation with Stewart... but we are winning, so I cant complain.

Honestly, I dont think that Gettlemen intends on keeping both Deangelo and Stewart, so I think he is giving them both opportunities to see who to keep. I think Deangelo has been better recently and has been more healthy too, but he is more expensive.... It is a decision I am glad I dont have to make, but I think with Cams ability and Tolbert being more similar too (and better than) Stewart, I think we should keep Deangelo.

Of course I could be wrong, and theyt may want to keep an entire stable of them to make sure we have talent at the position throuth the playoffs year in and out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.