Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OnlyPantherFaninMaine

Hypothetical: Mike Wallace Catches the Bomb at the End

Wish I had a gif of his critical drop on the Dolphins Hail Mary.

Does he land short of the end zone and is he touched down by Mike Mitchell a yard or two short of the goal line? I honestly think this would have been the case and doubt the Dolphins offense could have ran the 60+ yards up the field to get the next play off in under 10 seconds.

Or,

Would Wallace have been able to reach his arms or extend to cross the plane? 

In the replays I've seen I keep thinking he'd be a yard short and Mitchell would have landed on him to down him near the line. 

Ginns drop wound up not mattering because we wound up scoring a TD on that drive anyway. (Cam rushing TD).

If Ginn catches the bomb thrown to him earlier that play is irrelevant anyway.

• Pie 1

Cary Kollins    17,881

I don't think he scores.

But the bigger question is, on a play where the only chance the Dolphins have is to score a TD, how does Mike Wallace get behind our defense?

Why were there not three defenders with their backs to the endzone?  Mind boggling defensive breakdown with shades of Nakamura and ATL.

• Pie 4

Darth Biscuit    12,505

I don't think he scores.

But the bigger question is, on a play where the only chance the Dolphins have is to score a TD, how does Mike Wallace get behind our defense?

Why were there not three defenders with their backs to the endzone?  Mind boggling defensive breakdown with shades of Nakamura and ATL.

Agreed.

Can't believe that they didn't have at least one guy way back and had told him, "don't let Wallace get deep"

I'm glad it worked out but that would have been crushing.

• Pie 1

Cary Kollins    17,881

Agreed.

Can't believe that they didn't have at least one guy way back and had told him, "don't let Wallace get deep"

I'm glad it worked out but that would have been crushing.

From an Observer article on the play

Mitchell, who said he played the second half with a lower-body injury that will require an MRI on Monday, said the Panthers were in a cover-2 when Wallace turned an out route into a post.

“When somebody runs a post 30 yards downfield and they’ve got the time to throw it, it’s going to be a 1-on-1,” Mitchell said. “I don’t mind it at all. My coaches trust me to not let people make catches back there. That’s what happened.”

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/11/24/4494667/panthers-secondary-burned-twice.html#storylink=cpy 

For the life of me I will never understand why we weren't in prevent defense.  Miami didn't have any timeouts.  Rivera needs to get his poo together on that one.

• Pie 1