Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CBS Sports: "Cam Newton or Russell Wilson?" [Video]

152 posts in this topic

Posted

Wait....so Russell Wilson could have leaped that pile and scored a TD like Cam did yesterday? Ohhhhhh......get the fug outta here

6 people like this

Posted

You could argue that RW is just as good as Cam. I have no problem with somebody saying they would rather have RW. No need in getting our panties in a bunch.

Its not that he chose RW over Cam.  Its that he puts him down in the process.  

4 people like this

Posted

Wilson is a great football player, smart, and a gamer. Cam is a once in a lifetime freak. Wilson defenders in this argument say Cam will never have his "moxie", although they ignore the 24 point comeback at Alabama and three 4th quarter comebacks in the last four games currently. With Cam's upside, it's not even close.

1 person likes this

Posted

Boomer isn't answering the call of the question.  Seahawks have a more complete team [or should I say had one to start the year] than the Panthers did.  We are already building around Cam, the Seahawks just plugged Wilson into the scheme.  The answer to the question can be found in the reality of the Seahawks' and Panthers' current personnel situations.

And at the end, Boomer was getting frustrated and immediately started pantomiming the "Superman" shirt rip.  That's what it comes down to with this guy.  Guess what, Boomer, the very thing you don't like about Cam is the very thing that has Cam so successful--running the ball in for touchdowns because that's the only time he does it.  If you watch game tape up close, I know, tough for you "journalists" nowadays, you will find that Cam is just youthful exuberance and not fathead Clay Matthews.  He genuinely loves the game, as seen by his "Superman," first down points, and ear-to-ear grin on QB scrambles.

2 people like this

Posted

the superman thing is for Cam's brother for christs sake

3 people like this

Posted

Boomer would have made the same arguments about Luck, Kaep, RG III, and probably Gabbert.  It's pretty clear that he's kind of pro-RW, but mainly anti-Cam.

I think it's a good question though, and it's one that's a lot like asking if you would take Manning or Brees.  Either way, you can't lose.

Posted

I will just echo what someone else said.

RW is probably at or near his ceiling. Which is fine because he is legit.

Cam is still growing and still has more to improve on. Cam is still probably the most inexperienced and raw of the young QBs and he also might be the best of them right now, even over Luck.

His ceiling is fugging scary.

3 people like this

Posted

Last year, Seahawk fans acknowledged that Cam Newton is the most athletically gifted QB to ever grace the sport. However, not one would take him over Russell Wilson because and I quote: "He's the jack of all trades, but master of none. Wilson is the better leader". I couldn't totally disagree with them because Cam was struggling with his mechanics and leadership role. However, Newton clearly has some intangibles and attributes that Wilson will never possess (size, brute strength, cannon arm, versatility, freaky athleticism, etc), and the theory was that if he was able to put it all together he'd be the most lethal and fearful weapon the NFL has ever seen. Well, Cam is continuing to improve as a passer and leader, and he's only 24 years old. This season alone has confirmed, in fact, that Newton is a franchise QB. When the defense needed to be bailed out, he took this team on his back and singlehandedly won games for us.

The duo of Cam and The Panthers' D reminds me of Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal. Although Cam's talents remind me of LeBron, Newton's maturity and leadership is comparable to Kobe during the three title run. Did anyone question it or care when they were winning? No. Kobe was just viewed as a deadly assassin who loved to have fun on the court -- albeit spoiled. That's all that matters. Cam is going to get there (hell, he may already be there) eventually. What then? What will Wilson have over Cam?

Like Marino and Cowher said: "You have to gameplan for Cam Newton. He can take over a game with one play."

Posted

Cam is plutonium grade raw material, Russell Wilson is your basic refined uranium fuel.

Cam doesn't have a ceiling, he could be the best qb ever when it is all said and one.

Posted

I will just echo what someone else said.

RW is probably at or near his ceiling. Which is fine because he is legit.

Cam is still growing and still has more to improve on. Cam is still probably the most inexperienced and raw of the young QBs and he also might be the best of them right now, even over Luck.

His ceiling is fugging scary.

I agree with most, but there's a reason that the comparison was between Wilson and Cam, please believe that if they could justify placing Luck in the comparison they would have.  Truth is, lately Cam has been outclassing not just Luck, but every other young QB in the NFL with the exception of Wilson and Foles, but all of the hype machine QBs are being currently left in the dust, no need to name them. 

Wilson is a very good player, their stats are very similar, and both teams are winning, but there hasn't been a QB in the league ever who can do what Cam does.

Cam is a rapidly improving passer, and he's right there among very respected passers in the league, but what separates him is that Cam may be the best running QB ever, he's definitely the strongest and most athletic, one of the biggest, athletic freak in the mold of a Lebron.  I don't think we truly realize what we have hear, I'm having fun watching. 

Posted

the superman thing is for Cam's brother for christs sake

It bothers me how no one seems to know this. Cam isn't some arrogant guy that most media people makes him out to be because of the superman. He normally has a reason as to why he does something. Just like the towel over the head is to be like Mike.

Cam is a freak of an athlete like you said in your previous post. Has all the talent in the world, it was literally just a matter of time before it all clicked. I don't know why that was so hard for so many to see. As far as athletic ability goes I'd rank him close to my fav athlete of all time, another Auburn dude...

I hope we can lock Cam up this off season so we don't have to worry about during next season.

As far as RW goes, I think he's good too but that comment "you have to plan for Seattle offense where as you have to plan for Cam newton" I think hits the nail on the head. Wilson does a great job of extending plays and picking up yards with his legs when he needs to. But he is not the threat that Cam is. Not even close.

Posted

Ok, I watched the video. 

And though there are a lot of things we can criticize Boomer said, I'll take this one: Boomer talked about Cam being "up and down". 

First of all, besides that being not wholly true and an exaggeration (as we all know, Cam has been fine since the middle of last season with the occasional 2 to 3 INT game); Russell Wilson was never asked to do as much in Seattle as Cam was with the Panthers; so of course Newton's going to make more mistakes. 

Wilson had the luxury to sit back and rely on this defense and running game, while Cam was breaking records from day one in the pocket. Despite the Panthers current defense; Newton is still asked and relied upon to win games. That's not always the case Wilson (or at least it's not always the plan). Panthers can't win with out Newton making plays. 

Even now, the Panthers have no run game, a questionable offensive line and receivers who don't make big plays, and Cam still gets it done. The reasons why Cam is winning now (besides himself in a comparison to Wilson), is the coaching. Rivera has gotten much better since the Buffalo game. Wilson had that advantage [to] since day one in the NFL as well.