Grantland tidbit on Zeller

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 CarolinaSock

CarolinaSock

• ALL-PRO
  • 687 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:34 PM

I don't really follow the bobcats, but I was perusing grantland and came across this little nugget and got a chuckle out of it.

7. The overwhelmed Cody Zeller

Zeller's a rookie learning the speed of a new level, so some growing pains are understandable. But he's shooting 34 percent with an ugly turnover rate, and looking completely overwhelmed every time he catches the ball at the elbow — his sweet spot, should he desire a long NBA career. "OK, I have the ball. Omigod, omigod, omigod, I have the ball! Should I shoot? I dunno, that guy is pretty close to me. Can I dribble? Am I allowed to dribble? Maybe I should pass to that guy in the corner, the Swedish one or something, and, oh, shoot, they figured out I was looking over there. OK, gotta do something! Here goes!" (At this moment, Zeller typically takes one or two hard lefty dribbles toward the rim and then falls over.

http://www.grantland...-leap-greatness

#2 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,947 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:53 PM

Lets hope Zeller isn't another bust pick for MJ.

#3 Buzz

Buzz

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:07 PM

I hope Zeller works out, since they took him, but that is the most accurate description of Zeller as a player that I've ever read.

#4 Chaos

Chaos

@chaos_cltsports

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:35 PM

lol, so true

#5 chubs2496

chubs2496

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:40 PM

Have they watched mkg play. He's the same way. One dribble and pass unless it's a fast break. I wanna see him out the ball on the floor and go to the basket.

#6 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:41 PM

as silly as it is, it is spot on.

#7 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,947 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:00 PM

Can I please get a description on Zeller's defense?

#8 bLACKpANTHER

bLACKpANTHER

º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º

• HUDDLER
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:42 PM

just for the record- Zeller was far and above Rich Cho's choice..

#9 Buzz

Buzz

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:12 PM

Have they watched mkg play. He's the same way. One dribble and pass unless it's a fast break. I wanna see him out the ball on the floor and go to the basket.

MKG at least looks like he's played basketball before.  Zeller literally looks like he was thrown on the court with no prior knowledge of the game and told to learn as he plays.

I do hope he works out and develops, but I've never seen a player look so uncomfortable at the NBA level.

I was in the McLemore camp.  I think when a team really needs a shooting guard, especially a 3 point shooter, and they have a chance to take a guy who has a Ray Allen type shot, that's who to take. 

Especially with having McRoberts already on the team, and the signing Jefferson.

I didn't understand the pick then so seeing him look so bad is painful, even more so after reading McLemore got the rookie of the month in the Western Conference.

#10 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,982 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:39 AM

Zeller is going to be fine he just has to figure things out and find out what works for him. He is so athletic and skilled. But it is true that the speed of the NBA has him struggling right now.

Let's allow him to develop a little bit. I would like to see us try and post him up a little more instead of trying to create from the elbow all the time.

#11 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:41 AM

It doesn't help that he played exclusively in the low post at Indiana and now hes always in the high post.  He has to start hitting jumpshots to make this work

#12 GamecockSmitty4

GamecockSmitty4

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:46 AM

I think he'll be fine. After an offseason or two of shooting that jumpshot every day, it should start falling. The last game against the Sixers was the first time that he actually played decisive from his high post spot. He made strong moves to the basket when it was open and took the shot when it was open. He has tremendous Bball IQ, just needs the game to slow down a little bit for him. I doubt he ever becomes a star, but I am slowly getting less worried about him.

#13 Keith Moons Liver

Keith Moons Liver

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:28 PM

I was pretty high on him and have been hugely disappointed. I thought he had a pretty good perimeter game that was just underutilized in college, but clearly he doesn't; not an NBA caliber one anyway. The only silver lining is pretty much all the other rookies are terrible too. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users