Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rivera: "This was a very humbling experience ... Maybe we got a little full of ourselves."

53 posts in this topic

Posted

As much as I think Rivera has improved I can't stand the fact that we have to watch him "grow" as a coach. I would think he would have the sense now to take the gutsy call when need be. Who cares if it's the Saints, we don't need to respect them.

2 people like this

Posted

They hurt us because Brees had too much time and a clean pocket. When we started sending blitzes in the 3rd quarter things changed dramatically, but it was too late.

Yea they thought they were going to beat Brees like they beat Brady. They were wrong.

1 person likes this

Posted

No more conservative BS. They played not to lose. I'm tired of our coaches having to learn this lesson, over, and over, and over.

The last time Brandon Lafell dropped an equally important pass we lost. If he drops on 1st down, cool. But these 3rd and 4th down drops need to stop.

Posted

They hurt us because Brees had too much time and a clean pocket. When we started sending blitzes in the 3rd quarter things changed dramatically, but it was too late. 

most of what new orleans ran didn't need a lot of time, at least not in 2nd quarter when they rattled off 21. they slowed it down after the half and the pass rush got there-brees just moves in the pocket as well as anyone who plays the game-that comes to corners staying on their man for the duration of the play and they didn't do that last night. drew had to evade tacklers pretty consistently after the half and still made plays on the move to wide open guys.

Posted

No more conservative BS. They played not to lose. I'm tired of our coaches having to learn this lesson, over, and over, and over.

I agree. Should've went for the TD on that 2nd FG try. Also should've went for it on 4th down on the long FG we missed. Momentum could've easily swung our way in each situation. I thought Rivera learned that being conservative doesn't win you a lot of games in the NFL today.

Posted

Our success on D stems largely from our front 4's ability to get pressure without needing to blitz. They didn't get it done last night. Had we started the game with a wide array of blitzes, Brees would have compensated and beat us in other spots. With our secondary the way it is, we have to count on pressure with 4. Not with 5 or 6.

As to the 4th down calls, given the circumstances, how far we had to go, and the way the Saints D were playing us, I cannot find fault with Ron's decision making. 

We just got beat on the line of scrimmage. Simple and plain.

3 people like this

Posted

As much as I think Rivera has improved I can't stand the fact that we have to watch him "grow" as a coach. I would think he would have the sense now to take the gutsy call when need be. Who cares if it's the Saints, we don't need to respect them.

Sure feels like that doesn't it .... almost like watching your kids learn from mistakes.

Humbling ... really?  Full of yourselves .... REALLY?  It's your job as the head coach to keep that from happening.  I would be disappointed and surprised if they really were overconfident going to face Drew and Sean in their building.  I might feel better if he said they were too uptight and anxious.

Our O needs to find a way to flip the switch to sprint mode vs. being stuck in a marathon. 

Posted

Sure feels like that doesn't it .... almost like watching your kids learn from mistakes.

Humbling ... really?  Full of yourselves .... REALLY?  It's your job as the head coach to keep that from happening.  I would be disappointed and surprised if they really were overconfident going to face Drew and Sean in their building.  I might feel better if he said they were too uptight and anxious.

Our O needs to find a way to flip the switch to sprint mode vs. being stuck in a marathon. 

I agree. It's irritating that he finds it "humbling". I think he had the attitude that he had to play it safe at times all because "Oh look we're playing the candyass Taints".  Nothing but BS. He has to have the mentality that we're going to kick their damn teeth in and he lost that on the second offensive drive of the game.

Posted

There were things we could have done last night, but Cam did what the coaches told him to do, which was to stay in the pocket and beat them with his arm.

Probably 3 out of the 5 sacks came when Cam could see them, and could have taken off on his feet for first downs or more. 

Our gameplan should have been to keep the chains moving no matter what, to keep the ball out of Brees hands. When Tolbert and Deangelo started to slow down in the second quarter, they should have let Cam run his ass off to keep the drives alive.

I understand that they are protecting Cam, but he has a talent, and when is a better time to use it than a game that could decide the division winner?

Posted

Anyone but Bell.

Posted

Out coached, out played = embarrassed.

This.  Happened to us the week before, so I recognize it well.  The measure is how you bounce back from it.

Posted

I think Rivera has learned his lesson.

It better not be the same thing in Week 16.

We better see Riverboat Ron from here on out. No game should be too big for us.