Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This team would be absolutely scary with this "happy medium"

31 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

As for me, I am still skeptical of Shula. I am still wondering how the offense can take such a marked step backwards. Offensively from this year to last, we look like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. As far as I am concerned, Shula's ball control offense in regards to Cam Newton is a small control offense. Shula is thinking small. Sure, he may be limiting opportunities for mistakes, but he is limiting opportunities to maximize Newton's skills in the process. I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt, however, and hope that it's all a building process that will lead to opening up the offense next year, as Cam will have more experience under his belt, and more playmakers to target.

Posted · Report post

909873.jpg

Posted · Report post

I think that we've gotten so predictable scheme-wise that defenses have called our bluff. I really don't think it's all talent. What's different about the talent? This offense was Olsen, Smitty, LaFell, D-Will, Stewart in 2011 and then toss in Tolbert in 2012, and we've utilized him better in 2013. After the first few drives of this ball control crap, we have to give Cam the opportunity to throw the ball to his strengths. I really don't think that we do that. Play calling has to vary more...plenty of teams have bad offensive lines, but I think Cam has been coached out of throwing to his strengths. He is one of the best passers on the run in the league, and he's great at improvising. He isn't very good at constantly throwing timing routes in the pocket. It's not that he can't do these things period, but he certainly can't do it for 4 quarters.

The success comes when you allow Cam to make plays by improvising and throwing down field every few plays like he did as a rookie, and by mixing that in with what we do now, that's the happy medium that I'm referring to

I basically agree with you, but the truth is that Ginn and LaFell are just average, and we actually have been lobbing it downfield quite randomly in every drive... but Ginn and LaFell and even Smith are dropping them more often than not.

We really need a powerhouse WR in this next draft. Having someone who can punish the defense down field will really open up much more of our playbook like last year.

Posted · Report post

There is one huge and under-rated difference between now and 2011....the presence of Jeremy Shockey.

A 2nd viable TE added an element to the offense we don't have now. And although Olsen is a very good receiver, he lacks the toughness of Shock. 

Add in that Smith is a couple of years older, and that explains why our play calling is so much different this year. Now, if we add weapons and Shula still plays small ball, then it's all on him.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

There is one huge and under-rated difference between now and 2011....the presence of Jeremy Shockey.

A 2nd viable TE added an element to the offense we don't have now. And although Olsen is a very good receiver, he lacks the toughness of Shock. 

Add in that Smith is a couple of years older, and that explains why our play calling is so much different this year. Now, if we add weapons and Shula still plays small ball, then it's all on him.

which is why i would take either Amaro, ebron, or Austin Jenkins with our first pick

Posted · Report post

Shula can't win with the fans here IMO, he gets bashed if he runs a control based O and he gets Bashed if he goes pass happy like he did vs buffalo

Posted · Report post

Most defenses are keeping everything in front of them when playing us.

It's smart. As it keeps us from beating them deep (as long as ginn and others continue to drop the few chances they get) and it keeps Cam in front of them too.

Posted · Report post

Shula can't win with the fans here IMO, he gets bashed if he runs a control based O and he gets Bashed if he goes pass happy like he did vs buffalo

Which is why if you understand what I said, you may agree with me.

We've learned that Chud's out of control, pass happy, ridiculous offense didn't win games

We've learned that Shula's ball control, overly conservative offense is not how you beat potent teams that score a lot of points (which is the vast majority of the NFC playoff teams as Philly, NO, SEA, San Fran, and DET are all Top 10 in multiple offensive categories including points scored)

Therefore, based off of these lessons, if we mix our offense enough between a balanced running attack (and by balanced I mean utilizing all of our running weapons) and a downfield passing attack, we could be extremely scary. Teams like Seattle, Denver, Philly, and New England have proven that this approach works greatly.

Coupled with our defense, I think we really could be the best team in the league. What hampers us is the inability vary our attack on offense...I really think that's half the battle with our o-line too. The other half being that we do lack talent there. Defensive coaches have seen everything we do on tape. We don't change anything up at all.

Posted · Report post

Which is why if you understand what I said, you may agree with me.

We've learned that Chud's out of control, pass happy, ridiculous offense didn't win games

We've learned that Shula's ball control, overly conservative offense is not how you beat potent teams that score a lot of points (which is the vast majority of the NFC playoff teams as Philly, NO, SEA, San Fran, and DET are all Top 10 in multiple offensive categories including points scored)

Therefore, based off of these lessons, if we mix our offense enough between a balanced running attack (and by balanced I mean utilizing all of our running weapons) and a downfield passing attack, we could be extremely scary. Teams like Seattle, Denver, Philly, and New England have proven that this approach works greatly.

Coupled with our defense, I think we really could be the best team in the league. What hampers us is the inability vary our attack on offense...I really think that's half the battle with our o-line too. The other half being that we do lack talent there. Defensive coaches have seen everything we do on tape. We don't change anything up at all.

oh i get what your saying and it's on point ......at least for some of us but TBH fans here are waiting for shula to screw up so they can bring up the old tampa days or some other crap about him........ i'm guessing he's sticking with the winning recipe which is ball control and take care of the ball.

IMO the only thing shula lacks is a downfield/vertical passing attack everything else is gravy, but then i say that and i look back at all the passes cam missed deep which doesn't do shula's play-calling any justice along with dropped passes and piss poor blocking

Posted · Report post

There's only one player on our offense that teams even remotely plan for: Cam Newton.

Posted · Report post

Not a bad thought. Seriously.

Shula has built this offense one sided. Our secondary is so pathetic that the only way we're going to beat the Aints is in a shootout which we "did" last season: Wk2 (35-27) Wk17 (44-38).

Posted · Report post

Said it in another thread & Catman72 alluded to it, Panthers lead the league in 20+yd plays the last 2 years. This season, we're near the bottom...

Shula & Cam have tried a few times, not going to look it up right now, but what is our 20+ attempts this year vs the last 2? Throw it deep early & let them know we can & will. Should open up the ball-control game Shula has been succeeding with, mostly...

What he's been doing has worked so far, but I do think we will need to open it up a bit come January. It's a different ball game then. It's the best the league has to offer this year, need to give them the best we got this year too... Couple of deep passes could the the difference...

• Latest Articles

• Recent Comments