97 replies to this topic

#46 Dollar Store Dave

Dollar Store Dave

Formerly Know As Ruff

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,208 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:21 PM

if it keeps you from posting, I say go for it.

He's much worse at posting than Bell is at RT.

#47 Gabeking

Gabeking

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:43 PM

All you people bitching apparently gave be watched scott play this season. And IIRC bell was pretty horrible at guard as well, worse than tackle.. Might be thinking of the wrong player though idk.

#48 Gabeking

Gabeking

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:45 PM

And lol @ every one turning on Ron now after one bad loss at the superdome in primetime no less, this following a franchise record winning streak.

#49 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,737 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:39 PM

Surprising given reports that Scott was getting healthy.

We discussed a while back how player evaluation and roster management are Rivera's biggest weaknesses as a coach. Unfortunately that doesn't look to have improved :(

You don't think Gettleman talks to him and gives suggestions?  After all player evaluation is his strength.

#50 Dollar Store Dave

Dollar Store Dave

Formerly Know As Ruff

• HUDDLER
  • 7,208 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:05 PM

You don't think Gettleman talks to him and gives suggestions? After all player evaluation is his strength.

I think this is true. I also think there would naturally be some stubbornness or "well, I'm the coach, I decide who's on the field".

Who knows, though. Saying for sure one way it another would be pure speculation on our part.

#51 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,737 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:12 PM

I think this is true. I also think there would naturally be some stubbornness or "well, I'm the coach, I decide who's on the field".

Who knows, though. Saying for sure one way it another would be pure speculation on our part.

Given that Rivera was on the way out in week 4 I doubt he feels like he can tell his boss to back off since he is the coach.  From his previous discussions about asking for help from Madden and others during the off-season I really doubt he wouldn't listen to Gettleman and take his advice.  

#52 Dollar Store Dave

Dollar Store Dave

Formerly Know As Ruff

• HUDDLER
  • 7,208 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:18 PM

Given that Rivera was on the way out in week 4 I doubt he feels like he can tell his boss to back off since he is the coach. From his previous discussions about asking for help from Madden and others during the off-season I really doubt he wouldn't listen to Gettleman and take his advice.

I'm not saying he'd outright refuse. But, as with any coach, I believe he thinks he knows what's best for the 53 men he has. Where to put them, when to sit them, etc.

#53 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,393 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:20 PM

Well I am sure DG is a nice asset to have.....

Hurney wasn't a football guy or a contract/cap guy...

Rivera seems to have his ears everywhere. He seems to take input per him everywhere. Coordinators, TV guys, retired guys, active coaches, news reporters, etc. He definitely doesn't seem to have the know it all attitude.

Especially on offense.

#54 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,601 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:22 PM

And lol @ every one turning on Ron now after one bad loss at the superdome in primetime no less, this following a franchise record winning streak.

There has never been a coach at any level of football that didn't get second-guessed on occasion.

It's as much a part of the game as the snap from center.

#55 Mother Grabber

Mother Grabber

Gettlemagic 2.0

• ALL-PRO
  • 13,350 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:25 PM

they already printed up the programs listing Chandler and Bell, they can't go and waste all of that $$.

#56 Gabeking

Gabeking

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:37 PM

There has never been a coach at any level of football that didn't get second-guessed on occasion.

It's as much a part of the game as the snap from center.

And? I never said he wasn't devoid of criticism did I?

#57 intangiblejohnny

intangiblejohnny

The Josh McRoberts of Posting

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts
  • LocationInterwebz

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:45 PM

I trust RR with his player evals. Looking back he has done a lot with a little so far.

That being said, I certainly do hope we shore up the O line in the offseason.

#58 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,661 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:15 PM

I don't think we want Chandler at RT... I bet a DE would blow by him in a heartbeat.

which wouldn't be any different than if Bell played there.

offensive tackle was his position he's been practicing and playing (preseason, and rated perfect), until the Panthers were forced to play him at guard.

The Panthers probably won't move him unless there is injury to bell.

#59 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,601 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:59 PM

And? I never said he wasn't devoid of criticism did I?

Perhaps not, but you were "loling" at those "turning" on Rivera after 1 loss.

To me, that implied that you found the criticism unfair. And perhaps some or all of it is. It's also possible that some of it is justified. My point is we may criticize a few decisions here and there, but that doesn't constitute "turning on Rivera".

#60 pantherj

pantherj

• HUDDLER
  • 3,721 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:07 PM

Bell isn't that good at OG either. He can't get good leverage with his height, and he's unusually weak for his size. He really should be a backup RT, and nothing more. We could have moved Gary Williams to RT had we not lost him for the season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com