Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Will these last three games make Newton a bunch of money?

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 PantherAZ

PantherAZ

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:48 AM

Random thought. There's been a lot of Cam doubters the past couple years due to The Panthers not winning. I (and others) have basically given him a free pass believing he didn't have the talent around him to win. Obviously the team has shown over the past month that they can win. I think these last three games is Cam's opportunity to show that he can be the leader and franchise QB the team needs to get to that next level. Can he rally the troops and close out the season strong? I believe he can and will. However, my question is this... If the team drops some bad games, loses winnable games, or doesn't put them in a position to be successful in the playoffs, does this impact Cam's next contract? Is the blame placed on him? Or is Cam already set as our future QB regardless of the end to this season. Here's to a 3-0 finish and a playoff run, but just wanted to get some thoughts.

#2 nctarheel0619

nctarheel0619

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:57 AM

He won't get Brady, Brees, or Manning money until he wins a Super Bowl. He'll get good money, but it won't be that great.

#3 joemac

joemac

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:06 AM

I would imagine his next contract will be gigantic, regardless of what happens in the next few weeks. Everyone with half a brain knows what we have with him. Teams don't let guys like him walk away.

#4 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 6,742 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:23 AM

Cam simply has not earned a gigantic contract.  If he can get us playoff win, or at least look good while taking us to the brink of a Super Bowl, then maybe G-man (and J-Rich) make it rain. Certainly, if he wins it. Otherwise, he has earned a  middling to good contract, that equates to 10-15 mil per year, depending on the market value. He did have some fairly impressive years, but is too inconsistent to break the bank on in my opinion. A good (or bad) showing in the next three games probably won't be overly weighed either way. 

#5 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 18,780 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:04 PM

5 years 80 mil i'm guessing, but a lot depends on what happens this postseason

#6 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 12,756 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:06 PM

I find it hilarious that some people think the market value for quarterbacks is going down instead of up.

We're talking about a 24 year old rookie of the year quarterback who already has 88 touchdowns in just under 3 seasons.

#7 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Post Draught Hangover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:07 PM

Cam simply has not earned a gigantic contract.  If he can get us playoff win, or at least look good while taking us to the brink of a Super Bowl, then maybe G-man (and J-Rich) make it rain. Certainly, if he wins it. Otherwise, he has earned a  middling to good contract, that equates to 10-15 mil per year, depending on the market value. He did have some fairly impressive years, but is too inconsistent to break the bank on in my opinion. A good (or bad) showing in the next three games probably won't be overly weighed either way. 

Let me say that I am no fan of crippling a franchise for one player.  Dumb teams do that, shitty organizations do that, and GM's with short careers do that. 

Now with Cam, there is no choice but to make an offer that you feel is low and then let them do the dance and gradually bring up the number till both parties feel that they won. 

This can not be a Hurney contract where you throw 120 at him and grin like a jackass eating briars.  We know we need him, he knows we need him and there is going to be a hefty price to pay for that mutual acknowledgement.

#8 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 16,623 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:12 PM

Even if we finish 9-7 he is getting a hefty new contract in the offseason

#9 Lout

Lout

Draft Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 2,414 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:24 PM

Matt Stafford signed a 5-yr $76.5million deal... I can't fathom Newton getting paid much more than that.  Both QBs are excellent and have not won super bowls... however, Matt Ryan got 5-yr $105 million...

#10 QueensKing

QueensKing

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:27 PM

Sadly, it's not about how much a player is worth, it's about his potential and how much other teams will throw his way on the free market.  All I know is a team there are quite a few teams, Texans, Minnesota, Raiders, Jets especially who would  break the bank for Cam, which is what we're up against, and what we'll have to pay for. 

#11 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,671 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:29 PM

16 to 17 mil a year probably. Im cool with that number.

#12 footballisasport

footballisasport

• HUDDLER
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:33 PM

Random thought. There's been a lot of Cam doubters the past couple years due to The Panthers not winning. I (and others) have basically given him a free pass believing he didn't have the talent around him to win. Obviously the team has shown over the past month that they can win. I think these last three games is Cam's opportunity to show that he can be the leader and franchise QB the team needs to get to that next level. Can he rally the troops and close out the season strong? I believe he can and will. However, my question is this... If the team drops some bad games, loses winnable games, or doesn't put them in a position to be successful in the playoffs, does this impact Cam's next contract? Is the blame placed on him? Or is Cam already set as our future QB regardless of the end to this season. Here's to a 3-0 finish and a playoff run, but just wanted to get some thoughts.

FYI, Luck is playing as well as Cam played last season. His team made it into the play-offs on 8-5 record and a game he lost, says how weak that AFC Division seriously is, yet last season the media was all but ready to bench Cam for the Panthers 7-9 record and he was in some supposed Sophmore Slum. RG III season is over on every level, and like Luck, doesn't have the Sophmore Slum label on him. Yet, Cam has taken this very disfunctional team on his back and played his heart out, but some of you still sit there with this BS of what Cam needs to do to be seen as a label that is already handed to Luck and RG despite their playing abilities.

I ask the question again, why does Cam have to keep proving his worth while selfish and ego driven people keep determining what they believe will make him obtain these false labels, like Franchise QB and Elite?

#13 Gucci Mane

Gucci Mane

Trap God

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationKitchen

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:39 PM

you dont negotiate contracts based on what you have done, moreso what you will do.

obviously i get that past production helps gauge that.

#14 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,406 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:40 PM

He won't be getting a new contract this off season.

So the answer is no.

#15 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• HUDDLER
  • 7,853 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:43 PM

5 years 80 mil i'm guessing, but a lot depends on what happens this postseason

this would be a fuging steal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.