Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will these last three games make Newton a bunch of money?

74 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

two P's are at play here.

Potential.

Past.

Potential for what CAN be and the past for the last few qb's and their contracts.

you lock in Cam for good money according to team cap for the Potential of what you can get.

Posted · Report post

The question is why have we done so little on that side of the ball. Cam is the only offensive draft pick since he was drafted that plays on sunday. Think about that.

Because our front office is a little stupid. 

Posted · Report post

I feel Cam will get no less than a 4 year extension, worth at least $ 62 Million with bonuses and incentives added.

There is a bright side,even if I am way off in my estimation we still have  ample time to worry about Newton's extension. Between the five-year rookie contract (with fifth year option), and two potential franchise tags -- the earliest the Panthers would need to get a deal done is following the 2015 season, and even then they could keep him through 2017 with tags.

Any fears of Cam leaving are premature, and don't have much basis in reality. It's rare to see players leave teams of their own choice in the NFL when fair contracts are on the table, especially quarterbacks

Posted · Report post

If we don't pay Cam, somebody else will.  I guarantee that if he becomes a free agent (an angry one pissed of about the 5th year option/franchising) there will be a 'Battle Royale' style bidding war for his services.  GMs on certain teams will be hiring hiring ninja assassins and shit.  The big market teams that will need a QB around that time (hint: Dallas) are the most worrisome part of that scenario.

Posted · Report post

Lol

Nah - good "rookie contract" QBs get locked up quickly. Always have and always will and we would be a dumb team to be the first to play the franchise game with a QB. It doesn't happen. (Brees doesn't count)

This isn't Madden. We will be falling over ourselves to get Cam a new contract

you're the one playing madden.
Wanting to throw.money that isn't yours at a player for no reason other than ya think ya should.

That's not how to run a team.

Cam us the first qb contract under the new/current CBA. You have no idea what's gonna happen.

The team is holding all the cards right now.

Posted · Report post

we'll lock him up. Just no reason to do this offseason.

There are lots of reasons to do it this off season.

1). We lock him up
2). He will improve so his value may be lower than next off season
3). Waiting until next year will give Luck and Wilson an opportunity to balloon the market even more with their extensions due.

This off season we can get the extension done for likely cheaper than next year.

Posted · Report post

I hate money and money hates me.

Posted · Report post

He's going to get around Matt Ryan money. I will bet anyone here that.

Posted · Report post

JERRY McQUIRE........... SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!!

CAM WILL GET PAID.

Anyone that thinks we are going to get away with low balling Cam is doing some serious drugs.   He was ROY, and has been mentioned in the MVP discussion.  

Dan Marino never won a Super Bowl he got paid.   And quite well.

Posted · Report post

JIVmSPY.gif

Posted · Report post

There are lots of reasons to do it this off season.

1). We lock him up
2). He will improve so his value may be lower than next off season
3). Waiting until next year will give Luck and Wilson an opportunity to balloon the market even more with their extensions due.

This off season we can get the extension done for likely cheaper than next year.

Correct.

Pretty simple really.

Posted · Report post

I don't think it is impossible that Cam is the party who drags his feet on a new contract. Unlikely but there are reasons he could wait for a bigger payday. He is not a big market media guy so it would have nothing to with CLT. He realizes his own potential

His agent is not an overly aggressive one though.