Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Will these last three games make Newton a bunch of money?

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#31 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,914 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:28 AM

And we can always take a 5th year option.

That would be a terrible idea

#32 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,914 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:29 AM

He won't be getting a new contract this off season.

So the answer is no.

Why wouldn't we lock him up?

#33 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,754 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:22 PM

Why wouldn't we lock him up?

we'll lock him up. Just no reason to do this offseason.

#34 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,914 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:00 PM

we'll lock him up. Just no reason to do this offseason.

Well if we don't then he is a free agent after the 2014 season. He will then take all suitors unless we franchise him (which players hate) at which point he will then be a free agent again taking all suitors and we have no leverage.

This is effectively our last chance to keep him with no other offers

#35 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,754 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:24 PM

Well if we don't then he is a free agent after the 2014 season. He will then take all suitors unless we franchise him (which players hate) at which point he will then be a free agent again taking all suitors and we have no leverage.

This is effectively our last chance to keep him with no other offers

we have all the leverage for at least two more years. Even three.

The team has an option to add another year to his current contract, without any negotiating.

That gives us another two full years without using the franchise tag, which is always an option.

We have PLENTY of time.
Panthers control this.

#36 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,754 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:25 PM

That would be a terrible idea

compared to paying him even more money when it's not necessary?

Whatever you say...

Lol

#37 Pox 08

Pox 08

Luck of the Fryrish

• HUDDLER
  • 3,011 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:44 PM

24 years old.  His career stats,  once he wraps up his third season, he'll probably have over 13k total yards and around 92 to 94 TDs. 

Cam will get paid and paid big.   You can spout off about "WINS,  WHAT ABOUT WINS".  fug that.   Flacco and Ryan got paid because they convinced their stupid ass GMs that wins were a qb stat.            Wins are a team effort.          

#38 General_Purr

General_Purr

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMilky Way

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:50 PM

When is his contract up??

#39 footballisasport

footballisasport

• HUDDLER
  • 5,506 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:05 PM

Cam simply has not earned a gigantic contract.  If he can get us playoff win, or at least look good while taking us to the brink of a Super Bowl, then maybe G-man (and J-Rich) make it rain. Certainly, if he wins it. Otherwise, he has earned a  middling to good contract, that equates to 10-15 mil per year, depending on the market value. He did have some fairly impressive years, but is too inconsistent to break the bank on in my opinion. A good (or bad) showing in the next three games probably won't be overly weighed either way. 

This is the reason why Cam will never get the money he deserves. Way to much false media framing of how he's actually performing and way to many blind prejudices and bais thinking for any real level of objective thinking to seep into the picture as far as Cam is concern.

Also, when you say Cam is "inconsistent" are you comparing him as a player or the team as a whole? When Cam has no consistent WRs or RBs to give the ball to week in and on, then inconsistency is expected. I think some of you seriously believe that Cam is responsible for making all the other positions on the team shine; instead of like it is with the QBs like Brees, Peyton, Luck, and Tom, where the players around them are suppose to play damn well to help them shine.

#40 footballisasport

footballisasport

• HUDDLER
  • 5,506 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:20 PM

It's simply amazing reading these threads that are more concerned with how much money Cam makes than surrounding him with the best so he can win this team more than some good seasonal games. I can bet you any amount of money Cam would much rather this team invest in some real good weapons that can help him win a SB than how much his next salary will be?

As competitive as Cam is, I'm sure he'd much rather get a SB ring and let the salary issues take care of themselves. Plus, I am sure those in the media who seem to have it in for him, will have a strong say in Cam's salary. The question is, how many of you will join them in believing Cam needs to be some off the chart performing QB to get what he deserves with his salary.

Also, please keep in mind that, for as good as the media seems to enjoy hyping Peyton, Drew, and Tom, let's not be so quick to lose sight of their own weaknesses. Peyton, hasn't proven to be much more than a very good season playing QB. His brother, the interception machine, Eli, has more SB rings that he does. Drew took quite a bit of time to get his first SB ring after going from one team to another. And, Tom was on an already good team when he got drafted and sat on the bench before he finally got under center. And, his team's couple of SB rings which still have question marks on them; even thou the media don't make much about it anymore. Not one of those VET QBs Cam's ia aways being put up against are perfect, so I don't see why Cam has to be.

#41 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,914 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:34 PM

we have all the leverage for at least two more years. Even three.

The team has an option to add another year to his current contract, without any negotiating.

That gives us another two full years without using the franchise tag, which is always an option.

We have PLENTY of time.
Panthers control this.

compared to paying him even more money when it's not necessary?

Whatever you say...

Lol

Lol

Nah - good "rookie contract" QBs get locked up quickly. Always have and always will and we would be a dumb team to be the first to play the franchise game with a QB. It doesn't happen. (Brees doesn't count)

This isn't Madden. We will be falling over ourselves to get Cam a new contract

#42 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,914 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:37 PM

When is his contract up??

After next year

#43 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• HUDDLER
  • 5,070 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:38 PM

A lot depends on how far we go in the playoffs

#44 jayflip

jayflip

vaya con dios

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,839 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:43 PM

Lol

Nah - good "rookie contract" QBs get locked up quickly. Always have and always will and we would be a dumb team to be the first to play the franchise game with a QB. It doesn't happen. (Brees doesn't count)

This isn't Madden. We will be falling over ourselves to get Cam a new contract

It's pretty much us and the Bengals in this new CBA. It'll be interesting from a QB perspective to see how much Dalton demands and if he'll get his extension this offseason. Mind all of you, I'm not comparing Cam to Dalton in terms of QB skill, but in terms of rookie contract. I know Red Rocket was a 2nd rd pick too, which makes the QB rookie contract comparison even more silly...(but I'm not going to consider Gabbert, Locker or what's his face in Minny). What the Bengals do with AJ, and the cards do with PP will be intriguing as well.

#45 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,575 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:08 PM

This is the reason why Cam will never get the money he deserves. Way to much false media framing of how he's actually performing and way to many blind prejudices and bais thinking for any real level of objective thinking to seep into the picture as far as Cam is concern.

Also, when you say Cam is "inconsistent" are you comparing him as a player or the team as a whole? When Cam has no consistent WRs or RBs to give the ball to week in and on, then inconsistency is expected. I think some of you seriously believe that Cam is responsible for making all the other positions on the team shine; instead of like it is with the QBs like Brees, Peyton, Luck, and Tom, where the players around them are suppose to play damn well to help them shine.

Cam needs weapons for sure. How many times ave I harped about this.  As for "consistency", anyone who is half-way objective (which I believe that I am, especially considering that most of my family considers me a blind Cam Homer), don't have to look too hard to see the overthrows that Cam has. Hell, he missed Olson badly last game. Brady, Brees, Manning, and Flacco would have put that one right on the money. And, don't tell me that it's not fair to compare him to the top paid guys, because that's what we're talking about: money. Cam's game has not risen to that level. Hell, Flacco's game hasn't risen to the level of his insane contract.  Anyway, getting back to Cam, the reason that he misses so many open receivers can be almost solely attributed to inconsistent mechanics (originating from bad footwork). Now of course he gets hyped, or has to run for his life on occasion, which tends to lead to some errant throws, but anyone that has been watching Cam and being honest knows that he gets a little flighty with his mechanics unnecessarily at times. While Newton needs to continue to work on his mechanics, I am largely happy with his improvement in making reads and overall decision making. Man, has he gotten exponentially better at protecting the ball and getting it to the obviously open guy. Where Cam also just naturally excels is running the ball which has to be taken into account during contract time. 

Lastly, there is something to be said about the QB making everyone else better. It's not like Brady, Brees or Flacco have had all-star talent around them during their entire careers, but yet and still they have been in the post-season mix more times than not. That being said, we need an upgrade in talent at some offensive skill positions to help Cam erase any doubts that he should get paid like one of the top QBs in the league. Unfortunately, I just don't see it at this point. We can't bankrupt the team's future under any circumstances, or even get close to that point if you have a QB that can't win games by himself (which no one can).  $20 mil a year is just pushing the envelope If you are serious about keeping quality players to surround your franchise QB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com