Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rivera going for it on 4th and 2 from the 15, up 10

156 votes

1. 1. Did you like the call going for 4th and 2

• I liked the aggresive decision
    • Bad idea, take the 3 points

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

73 posts in this topic

Posted

I was hoping for the FG. However there are too many people that want him to be riverboat Ron until it fails. The guy sitting behind me at the game wanted us to go for every 4th and short including this one. Sure enough after not getting it they drive down and score and he's telling his buddy how important it was that we just kick the FG. You can't have it both ways people

4 people like this

Posted

was this the series where it was 1st and goal and they threw 4 straight passes and failed? not a single run attempt by cam or tolbert.

No.

But I think that series was the Olsen failed jump pass, Tolbert run that was destroyed and then the throw out the endzone. FG

Posted

The momentum swing went strongly back to the Jets favor after that defensive stop and they drove the ball all the way down the field after that. It could have cost us the game.

HOWEVER.... you dance with the philosophy that brought you here. You can't take a 1-3 team that you turned into a 9-4 team and start playing it safe now that you're actually winning games. "Okay, I have done enough to probably save my job now I can start coaching the way I did for my first two seasons again". Nope. Be consistent.

4 people like this

Posted

Also, it was no guarantee that we would have gotten a touchdown on that drive anyway.  Who's to say we don't stall out after converting the 4th down?

Posted

absolutely hated playcall, but loved decision

3 people like this

Posted

That play IMO is the real test of Riverboat. If you are going to gamble then you it is a certain fact you will eventually fail......and this was the first example of it legitimately blowing up on him.

The real test will be Riverboat continuing to be Riverboat going forward and not letting that impact him into leaning toward #OldRon the next time

1 person likes this

Posted

Said this in another thread...

Liked Rivera's call, hated Shula's play.

Ron goes with his gut now, and since we drove the length of the field prior to that play, he liked his chances.

But for some damn reason, Shula elects to throw in a play that required sufficient pocket time for Cam (which rarely happens). We needed a high percentage play to get us only two yards...and yet, the receivers were going 5-10 yards deep. C'mon now...

And I thought Shula was doing a decent job yesterday...but that playcall was Chud-esqe.

2 people like this

Posted

We were having trouble getting any push on the line with short yardage plays all day long so it made us have to pass. I would have just taken the points and put the pressure on the Jets offense to make a play

Posted

You can't look at it after the fact and criticize, you have to look it as Rivera did which was in context.  We had been successful on 10 out of 12 plays to that point and could salt the game away.  It wasn't like they had stopped us that much all day. Sure conventional wisdom is take the points but we have been aggressive all year and it has paid off for us.  Sure after the fact I would say take the points.  Otherwise I would have said go for it, so I have no problems which what he did.

3 people like this

Posted

I was hoping for the FG. However there are too many people that want him to be riverboat Ron until it fails. The guy sitting behind me at the game wanted us to go for every 4th and short including this one. Sure enough after not getting it they drive down and score and he's telling his buddy how important it was that we just kick the FG. You can't have it both ways people

Right on point. You have to take the good with the bad when you play/coach aggressively. Personally I will take the aggressive mentality win or lose hands down over  the conservative approach we were losing with before. We're not going to make every 4th down we go for. Ron was trying to step on their neck and was betting that if we didn't get it the Jets still would not be able to score enough to beat us. He was right. Our coach has stopped playing like he's scared, our fans need to stop too

1 person likes this

Posted

Right on point. You have to take the good with the bad when you play/coach aggressively. Personally I will take the aggressive mentality win or lose hands down over  the conservative approach we were losing with before. We're not going to make every 4th down we go for. Ron was trying to step on their neck and was betting that if we didn't get it the Jets still would not be able to score enough to beat us. He was right. Our coach has stopped playing like he's scared, our fans need to stop too

playing smart    does-not-equal.gifplaying scared

Posted

I had no problem with the call not much difference between 10 pt lead and 13 pt lead...  

Playcall was not very good... would've preferred to see a run outside...

1 person likes this